• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • guyank
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Sep 2015

Cancel Economy Quick Action and Optimisation

Hi,

I may have discovered a bit of a bug in the software, but have only seen it once so it might need more investigation. I have the bathroom set to 21C from 15C at 1900 for the children’s bath time. Optimisation is turned on so it usually comes on at about 1700 to be up to temperature on time and works well for this zone.

Last night, we were out until about 1800. I use IFTTT to set the Economy Quick Action when we are out, so it cancelled the quick action as we approached the house. However, because it was cancelled when the optimisation period should already have started, the bathroom did not come on. I noticed this at about 1830 and manually overrode it to 21C, but clearly the room wasn't up to temperature in time.

Regards

Guyan
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Firstly, two hours seems a long time for the temperature to get up to 21c in a bathroom and I assume that is what optimisation has considered is needed. I had the same issue and stopped using optimisation a long time ago no doubt saving me money.

Secondly, when I was trying out optimisation it never seemed to be affected by overrides from custom menus. Could it be that optimisation may have been working properly but realised it did not need to come on two hours early and possibly 10 to 15 minutes would be enough? Plus did it affect the whole house assuming other zones would have been set to come? Did they? If it is only the bathroom that was affected it may be a loss of signal to the TRV to tell it to open.

Comment

• guyank
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Sep 2015

No, 2 hours is what that bathroom needs. It is the one room upstairs in our doormer bungalow that I haven't got round to fully insulating due to the presence of asbestos cement board discovered after the bathroom was refitted and has a fairly small towel rail. I know that you don't use optimisation but in my 1930s house, it is essential otherwise I end up with the house up to temperature far too early or late. With the exceptions of the overshoots in some rooms that I have discussed on other threads, it works well.

The only other zone that comes on near this time is a bedroom. This needs about 30 mins to come up to temperature so optimisation turned it on after we were home. I have never had a comms fault with this TRV and there is nothing in the log.

Comment

• G4RHL
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jan 2015

Now understood.

Comment

• guyank
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Sep 2015

This is definitely an issue. It occurred yesterday on another zone. We arrived home at 1250 with that zone due to come up to temperature at 1300 for our eldest's nap. When Economy was turned off by IFTTT, it stayed at 17C until 1300 and then came on. It would usually start optimisation for this zone at about 1230.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

It's also my experience that any manual override (including a change of quick action) occurring during the period when optimum start would be active prevents optimum start from acting. The same is the case for optimum stop. For example setting a timed override after optimum stop has acted but before the set point period ends then cancelling the override goes back to the set temperature (current time period) for the remainder of the time period, not the optimum stop set temperature that it was at a moment earlier. (The following set point)

Manual override also seems to prevent optimum stop acting even if set pre-emptively. For example If you have 20 degrees at 6pm and 18 degrees at 8pm, optimum stop might normally drop the set point to 18 at 7:30pm, however if you set an override at 6:01pm for any temperature (including 20 degrees) then it will maintain that temperature right up until 8pm.

I'm not sure that I'd call these bugs though - just particular choices by the designers of how to handle ambiguous situations that don't necessarily behave the way we might expect. When you make changes via IFTTT the controller treats that as if you had manually made those changes yourself, thus it's reasonable for it to assume that you are wanting to override any automated "smart" behaviour that it might have, such as optimum start.
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 23 December 2015, 11:35 PM.

Comment

• guyank
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Sep 2015

I'm not sure I'd completely agree with you. Surely if you cancel a quick action, you want the system to revert to how it would be if the quick action had not been used. If you're making manual changes that may be different.

For some reason today, IFTTT didn't cancel the economy quick action until after we'd come in. I noticed on the controller that optimisation had come on to bring the zone temperature up to 18C (the 21C set point minus 3C for the economy quick action). As soon as the economy quick action cancelled, it reverted back to a set point of 10C.

Can someone from Honeywell confirm whether this a conscious design feature or something that's been missed?

Comment

Working...
              X