• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Caudera
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Evohome and electric boiler control

Hello everybody.
    I have this doubt. I have one electric 80l boiler for sanitary hot water with integrated temperature control. Can Evohome control this device just in terms of time-schedule control neglecting temperature control (which is already done by the built-in thermostat)? Which is to say: can Evohome just switch on or off a device based only on a time schedule and nothing else?

On the other hand I ask you (since I was not able to find detailed instructions about that): how is the Evohome hot water control performed? Which parameters are available? Possible overrides?

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • Caudera
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Caudera View Post
    Hello everybody.
    I have this doubt. I have one electric 80l boiler for sanitary hot water with integrated temperature control. Can Evohome control this device just in terms of time-schedule control neglecting temperature control (which is already done by the built-in thermostat)? Which is to say: can Evohome just switch on or off a device based only on a time schedule and nothing else?

On the other hand I ask you (since I was not able to find detailed instructions about that): how is the Evohome hot water control performed? Which parameters are available? Possible overrides?

Thank you in advance for your help.
    Hi! Can anybody help me with this?

THANK YOU

Comment

• Newtothistuff
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Caudera View Post
      Hi! Can anybody help me with this?

THANK YOU
      I think Evohome can only control things i.e switch the boiler relay based on a time AND temperature demand but I am not 100%

Comment

• electronicsuk
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Sep 2015

I would say that it can be done, because you could use the DHW kit but never actually install the thermostat, just leave it in free air. The system will never sense that the tank is hot, therefore the relay will always be on whenever DHW is scheduled. As long as you retain your existing tank thermostat and overheat cut-out, this isn't a safety issue.

I don't use the DHW kit myself as I have a combi boiler, but I assume that evo won't let you bind a boiler relay alone for DHW control, as it requires some form of sensor to be bound as well.

Comment

• Caudera
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by electronicsuk View Post
          I would say that it can be done, because you could use the DHW kit but never actually install the thermostat, just leave it in free air. The system will never sense that the tank is hot, therefore the relay will always be on whenever DHW is scheduled. As long as you retain your existing tank thermostat and overheat cut-out, this isn't a safety issue.

I don't use the DHW kit myself as I have a combi boiler, but I assume that evo won't let you bind a boiler relay alone for DHW control, as it requires some form of sensor to be bound as well.
          Thanks. I'll try something like that, but I have to use an HC60NG relay since my load is 1.5kW and so the BDR91 is too small for that. Should I try to configure it as a zone valve and neglect the temperature control as you said (I could use the internal evohome sensor)?

Comment

Working...
          X