• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Eco when leaving house

OK, a goal for many people must be to set ECO mode when the house is unoccupied.

If you all have smartphones this won't be a problem, as you can use geofencing and IFTTT. But what if, like Mrs O, one of you prefers a dumb phone. Does anyone have any other ideas?

One way might be to interface somehow with a burglar alarm, and switch into Eco mode when it's set. The trouble is, mine is a wired system, with both wired and wireless connections to a call centre, and I believe that it's a condition of such systems that they don't indicate whether they are set or not. if there was an LED or something I could just stick an opto sensor on that.

Any other ideas?

P.
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
    OK, a goal for many people must be to set ECO mode when the house is unoccupied.

If you all have smartphones this won't be a problem, as you can use geofencing and IFTTT. But what if, like Mrs O, one of you prefers a dumb phone. Does anyone have any other ideas?

One way might be to interface somehow with a burglar alarm, and switch into Eco mode when it's set. The trouble is, mine is a wired system, with both wired and wireless connections to a call centre, and I believe that it's a condition of such systems that they don't indicate whether they are set or not. if there was an LED or something I could just stick an opto sensor on that.

Any other ideas?

P.
    remember to put the evohome into eco mode before leaving? a sign on the door?
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• johnwharrison
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2005

Does said dumb phone still have bluetooth?

If so you could have something running on a machine in the house that can tell if the phone is in range or not.

Comment

• Mavis
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Oct 2014

A separate presence sensor? I have been testing Samsung SmartThings and the starter kit comes with a presence sensor (basically a key fob). Evohome is 'shortly' going to be compatible with SmartThings. Presumably there are other similar things out there depending what existing kit you have?

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

Yes, maybe a keyfob is the best idea.

Such a shame I can't interface with the house alarm, though, as that would be perfect. I could even use 'night set' mode to turn down the downstairs room, and get keep the upstairs bedrooms / bathrooms warm.

Comment

• dkleeman
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2012

I believe that it's a condition of such systems that they don't indicate whether they are set or not. if there was an LED or something I could just stick an opto sensor on that
            We have a Siemens alarm system and (a) it does indicate when it is set with an LED on the faceplate and (b) I believe that the main control box has volt-free outputs that can indicate that it is set to another system.

Dan

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by dkleeman View Post
              We have a Siemens alarm system and (a) it does indicate when it is set with an LED on the faceplate and (b) I believe that the main control box has volt-free outputs that can indicate that it is set to another system.

Dan
              Is it a monitored system with Police response?

P.

Comment

• dkleeman
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Apr 2012

Yes.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

That's odd. My alarm company told me that for a monitored alarm you're not allowed to have any indication of whether it's set to not.

How long ago was yours installed? I wonder whether the rules have changed?

Comment

• dkleeman
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Apr 2012

It was upgraded this year. There is no indication outside the property that it is set.

Comment

Working...
                    X