Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome quick actions: when does 1 day end?

My heating in most rooms goes 'off' at 22.30 but I have a blank timing point set for midnight. This means that if someone is staying up late then they can set an override for the living room either through the app or manually on the HR92 and it will automatically 'switch off' at midnight.

If we were up later, I wouldn't want to extend the heating for the whole house though.

I do have optimisation off switched on but our house does take a while to cool down in the evening hence why I have it set for 22.30.

The one thing I do miss about the heating system in my old house was you could just 'boost' the heating for 1, 2 or 3 hours.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    How do other people deal with turning the heating off or on early ?
    What about hitting eco mode? (for going to bed early)

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Basically the very very common scenario of going to bed early is not well handled by the evohome user interface and programming, and certainly not in a user friendly way.

How do other people deal with turning the heating off or on early ?
    i've left the original 7-day timer in circuit (ironically also a Honeywell) precisely for this reason. Also it controls the h.w. perfectly satisfactorily, so saving the cost of a second BD91 and its attendant ills.

The zone timings extend into the small hours (with a dummy setpoint at midnight as Mavis suggests) so if we go to bed early or late one button press will curtail or extend the heating to suit.

Also, having a slide switch to choose whether to have the heating on during the daytime, and the ability to press the Change button if we go out for a walk knowing it will automatically come on again at 1600 beat the evotouch UI hands down for convenience!

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by IvanOpinion View Post
    What about hitting eco mode? (for going to bed early)
    Better than nothing I suppose, but still a bit clumsy.

If you were going to bed half an hour early, maybe OK, but if we went to bed an hour or two early the living room would easily drop by three degrees before the normal off time, bringing the boiler back on - also keep in mind that TPI will start to cycle the boiler on at a low duty cycle even 1.5 degrees above the 3 degree lower setpoint...

If the "Off" option had the same 1 hour level of timing control that eco mode does, (or indeed any ability to time it) so I could say "switch to off mode NOW for 3 hours" knowing that 3 hours will easily extend far enough into my night time schedule, that would be quite usable for the case of going to bed early. It wouldn't solve what to do if you get up early before the scheduled on time though. (An issue on the weekends where getting up time can vary greatly...)

It seems that the simple and obvious use case of switching the heating off or on early has not been thought through by the UI designers.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by IvanOpinion View Post
    The quick action had finished at 7am this morning, when I woke. So I think Mavis is right that all days end at midnight.

If the Honeywell reps can add this to the wish list, it would be helpful to be able to set a quick action for a number of hours, not days. (And helpful for the manual to explain that 1 day could be as short as a few minutes, if you set a quick action just before midnight.)
    Now I'm puzzled. I set Away at 1.30pm on 15 Dec for 2 days, so I expected it to finish at midnight last night, but it was still going this morning. So perhaps it would have run until 1.30pm today? (I've had to switch it off manually, as I need it on today.)