• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gudge
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Evohome Muiltiroom Zone

Hi all,

I have done the training course, where it says how to set up a multiroom zone, but the training doesn't seem to describe how the system actually operates in mulitroom mode (unless I missed it somehow). I am assuming that in multiroom mode the controller uses multiple temperature sensors in the zone instead of just one primary sensor ? can anybody confirm this ?

Also what happens if you have 2 rooms that you want to control as a single multiroom zone, with the first room having 2 HR92's and the second having 1 HR92...in mulitroom mode are all 3 used as sensors with the 3 HR92's all acting independently ?

Many thanks
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

Originally posted by Gudge View Post
    Hi all,

I have done the training course, where it says how to set up a multiroom zone, but the training doesn't seem to describe how the system actually operates in mulitroom mode (unless I missed it somehow). I am assuming that in multiroom mode the controller uses multiple temperature sensors in the zone instead of just one primary sensor ? can anybody confirm this ?

Also what happens if you have 2 rooms that you want to control as a single multiroom zone, with the first room having 2 HR92's and the second having 1 HR92...in mulitroom mode are all 3 used as sensors with the 3 HR92's all acting independently ?

Many thanks
    If a zone has more than a single HR92, then the first one that you bind acts as the zone sensor. It is important to look carefully at the location of the sensor; eg, avoid a sensor behind long curtains.

If you decide to link 2 rooms to a single zone the system only knows that you have bound 'x' HR92s - one of the which (the first) is the sensor.

Comment

• roydonaldson
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2013

I think the question is a bit different. You have replied about having a single zone with multiple HR92's in it. However, the OP is asking about having multiple rooms with HR92's in them, in a single zone and then the zone being set to 'multiroom' mode.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

I confess that I didn't know that there was a multi room mode in the Evohome set up menu. My 21 TRV system is set up in 12 zones as described.

Edit: page 38 of the Evohome Installation manual is the only reference that I can find to multi-room.
        Last edited by HenGus; 15 December 2015, 08:39 PM.

Comment

• Gudge
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
          I confess that I didn't know that there was a multi room mode in the Evohome set up menu. My 21 TRV system is set up in 12 zones as described.

Edit: page 38 of the Evohome Installation manual is the only reference that I can find to multi-room.
          Thanks guys

I checked my installation guide and there is no mention of multi-room on page 38, and i cant see any mention anywhere in my version, i guess they must have changed the manual.

it would be good if Honeywell (or anyone else) could specify how multi-room works

Comment

• HenGus
            Automated Home Legend
            • May 2014

From the installation guide:

evohome allows you to create a zone with multiple rooms
            (i.e. Bedroom's) that are controlled together as one group.
            It does this by letting all the radiator controllers bound to
            that zone to independently measure room temperature and control a radiator. This means you can locate the radiator controllers in separate rooms without them all being controlled by one temperature sensor like a single room zone does.
            To create a multiple room zone either:

Add a new zone and bind the radiator controllers for all the rooms. Go to the parameters
            menu and select multiple room zone.
            or
            Go to Zone Configuration and edit an existing zone's parameters. Any bound radiator controllers already bound to that zone will now work independently

Comment

• Gudge
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Dec 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
              From the installation guide:

evohome allows you to create a zone with multiple rooms
              (i.e. Bedroom's) that are controlled together as one group.
              It does this by letting all the radiator controllers bound to
              that zone to independently measure room temperature and control a radiator. This means you can locate the radiator controllers in separate rooms without them all being controlled by one temperature sensor like a single room zone does.
              To create a multiple room zone either:

Add a new zone and bind the radiator controllers for all the rooms. Go to the parameters
              menu and select multiple room zone.
              or
              Go to Zone Configuration and edit an existing zone's parameters. Any bound radiator controllers already bound to that zone will now work independently
              Brilliant, thanks for this. I wonder why its not stated in the current version of the installation guide that comes with the Controller.

Comment

• Gudge
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Dec 2015

Brilliant, thanks for this. I wonder why its not stated in the current version of the installation guide that comes with the Controller.
                Yes, just found an older version of the Installation Guide which has the Multi-room statement on page 38, where as it has been removed from the latest version. Hopefully the function still exists....will find out later today.

Many thanks

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
                  Automated Home Sr Member
                  • Oct 2014

I've set my lounge up as a multi-room zone because it's long and thin with a radiator at each end. This way tends to avoid cold spots.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
                    I've set my lounge up as a multi-room zone because it's long and thin with a radiator at each end. This way tends to avoid cold spots.
                    Probably useful in large open plan rooms as well (not common in the UK but I'm sure someone has them...) where you might have a living room with multiple radiators around the room, but the room joins directly onto the kitchen at one end and maybe a hallway without a door at the other end - in this scenario even with a wall mounted thermostat there is not going to be one location in the room that will give an accurate reading that is representative of the room as a whole, so you're going to end up with some parts of the room hotter or colder than other parts if all radiators are controlled together from one temperature sensor.

However in multi-room mode as long as the individual radiator valves are not obstructed (curtains etc) letting each radiator measure its own part of the room to try to achieve a shared setpoint for the room is much more likely to give an even temperature distribution through the room.

Comment

• jneaum
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Dec 2015

Yes, just found an older version of the Installation Guide which has the Multi-room statement on page 38, where as it has been removed from the latest version. Hopefully the function still exists....will find out later today.

Many thanks
                      I've just had a similar problem with old installation manual - the one that came with my first order was dated 2013 (doc ref: 50040745-210 A) - it turned out that this had missing wiring info on page 47 which was confusing me - Richard of Evoshop sorted me out and I downloaded a version from the Honeywell site dated 2014 (doc.ref: 32303494-001 A) which was correct. Subsequent deliveries contained the 2014 version. So it looks like not all new controllers have the latest document version.

Comment

Working...
                      X