Thread: Basic Help

Automated Home Lurker

Default Basic Help

I'm renovating a house at the moment at want use KAT5 stuff.
    Every where I can see it talks about using cat5 cable. Exactly what cable should I use cat5 cat5e cat6 - does it make any difference or is sheilded cable better. Currently I'm thinking of running 2 cat5e cables and 2 coax cables to each room.

Confused.

Thanks

When you say KAT5 stuff do you mean the cable type or the KAT5 AV system?

I guess it would be hard to get Cat5 now as most will be the 'enhanced' stuff (e) as standard.

IMO Cat6 is of no real benefit to the home user, it is hard to handle and dress in and only increases your data capacity.

But lets put it is prospective, Cat5e can now cope with 1000 Mega Bits per second (1,000,000,000 bits) of data. But basic broadband is 0.5Mega bits per second (512,000 bits) about .5% of the capacity of a cat5e network!

I would say use Cat5e cable
    www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Default Re: Basic Help

Quote Originally Posted by crazymazy
    I'm renovating a house at the moment at want use KAT5 stuff.
    Every where I can see it talks about using cat5 cable. Exactly what cable should I use cat5 cat5e cat6 - does it make any difference or is sheilded cable better. Currently I'm thinking of running 2 cat5e cables and 2 coax cables to each room.

Confused.

Thanks
    Hi Crazymany

"cat5 cable" tends to be the generic term used for structured wiring in much the same way as everyone has a "hoover" despite the fact that their vacuum cleaner is actually some other brand.

KAT5 will work fine on CAT5, CAT5e or CAT6. Shielding is not required for domestic installations and is much more expensive and difficult to install.

Plain old CAT5e will be fine.

I would urge you to install more than 2 CAT5 cables to each room though as it has so many uses and people always regret not installing more. The cable is cheap and you dont have to terminate it all at first, just leave it behind blank plates. That will keep the initial installation cost down whilst preventing the hassle of trying to retrofit more cable.

Regards

Keith
    www.kat5.tv

Automated Home Lurker

Thinking of using KAT5 AV system but not decided.

Thanks for your help.
    Just one more question - does it matter if I use shielded cat5e or just normal cat5e - someone said to me that u cannot run a video signal over cat5e shielded cable and that it has to be un shielded.

Can I run bundles of cable right next to each other or does it need to be spearated before it gets to the wall.

You can run video cables over both Sheilded and Un Shielded.

You can also run CAT5e cable next to each other but MUST havve a minimum distrance between mains and any comms cables and if you need to cross power do it at 90degrees.

From memory seperation need to be a minimum of 5cm / 2" but others may correct me.

Chris
    NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks guys for the help.

They have already started laying cable, but I think I will add some more cat5e as all the electric and plumbing need to be done.

Lex when u say comms cable is it not possible coax ct100 with cat5e, (if not I have problems because thats what they(electricians) have started doing.

thank

Sorry, when I say comms cables I include the coax with them.

So that is Cat5e, Coax and Tel cable (if different to Cat5e) and anything that isnt power related.

Sorry for the confusion and panic!

Chris

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks - panic over.