• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

App information not correct

I have an odd situation where the readings in my app do not accord with what must be the situation in the house. I set a custom menu to Away and thus all is off unless temperatures drop very low. 24 hours later the app shows the custom menu is set but the room temperatures are set to what they would be if I was not away and not only that the rooms seem to be high in temperature. One the app says is set to 21C (it isn't of course as the Away setting is on) but the room temperature shown is 23.5C when that cannot be so. The outside temperature is 14.4 and as the heating has been off for over 24 hours the rooms can't be over 20C but many are. Also the temperatures showing in the app never change so I am guessing it is an app issue or is it as a result of some changes made by Honeywell on Wednesday last as I understand maintenance was scheduled for then.

I have exited the app and gone back in but same result. I also get the same information on my iPad. I have changed the Away setting date on my iPhone and that shows in the iPad but the temperatures it says the house is at cannot be right. I will of course know for sure when I get home but I wonder if anybody else has these issues. I will try a deletion of the app and reinstall it in case the gremlin has crept in at my end.

Update:
    I have deleted the app and reloaded it but get the same result. The app is telling me the radiators are set to temperatures that cannot be right as the heating is in Away mode. I originally set the Away mode from the Control Panel.
    Last edited by G4RHL; 19 December 2015, 10:28 AM.
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Sounds like your evotouch has lost it's connection to the honeywell severs - and the servers are simply reporting the last known information back to the phone app.

I have occasionally seen settings get "out of sync" in a way similar to what you describe though, sometimes as a result of setting an action then countermanding or changing it again too quickly. For example sometimes in OFF mode it might report 5 degrees as the set point instead of the off icon.

What happens if you set your heating to OFF via your phone, wait at least 5 minutes (preferably 10) and then go back into the app and refresh it ? (Pull down on the temperature overview page)

Then set it back to away mode again then check the result in another 5 minutes...

I've found the best way to get everything back in sync is to change the mode and/or all zones to something else, wait at least 5 minutes then change it back to what you wanted. (Changing the end date for the away mode would not be sufficient - you need to trigger a set point update to all affected zones)

I graph my set points and measured temperatures of all zones, and if there was an outage on the planned maintenance day it must have been very short - I only saw one 5 minute poll to the servers fail in the entire day, and the rest of the day showed perfectly reasonable changing data.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 19 December 2015, 04:19 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Thanks. Have tried your suggestion but I am still getting wrong information. My heating including hot water is set to off. It says so in the app but the temperature readings shown are not possible as it is off. The temperature of the hot water is shown as 55c. It is now 15:41, I took a screen shot at 07:54 this morning and it was showing 55c then. That is not possible as it is off it will have dropped by now and if it is on it will have risen to 60c. Also every room temperature shown in the app (whether on my iPhone or iPad) at 07:54 is exactly same now at 15:43. So am getting feedback about what custom menu is set but not the temperatures. Something is wrong. Probably need to try a reboot of the Gateway.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

I confess that I am now wary of using the app after my recent experience. I turned the HW and CH on whilst travelling home from a weekend away. I also adjusted some of the temps in a couple of zones. I had only just got home when I found that my controller had frozen including a loss of all external communication. Going through things over the past week, I can only conclude that the controller didn't like the fact that I turned the heating on and turned down some zone temps at the same time. The adjustments were made through to a programmed check point, and I guess that the controller just gave up.

I was lucky that I was at home to re-set the system. I am not sure what I would have done had I been away on holiday and got the failure message..

You could try pulling the batteries and see what you get after a system reset - if you haven't done this already.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
          Also every room temperature shown in the app (whether on my iPhone or iPad) at 07:54 is exactly same now at 15:43. So am getting feedback about what custom menu is set but not the temperatures. Something is wrong. Probably need to try a reboot of the Gateway.
          As I said, if all the zone temperatures are the same as they were hours ago but completely wrong, it sounds like the evohome has lost contact with the Honeywell servers and you are just seeing a report of the last known temperatures.

The quick action state shown by the App I believe is stored on the servers and only updated via either the phone app or the evohome - whichever one last communicated a change of quick action to the servers is the one that will be indicated on the phone app. So if you set the quick action mode from the phone that updates the setting on the server (and reports this back to the phone) but that doesn't necessarily mean the controller received the message. (At least as far as I can tell from my own experimentation)

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

I am now back home and back to normal but not sure what caused the problem. Arriving home the app still showed wrong temperatures. We'd been away from the house for two days and most rooms were down to 15c as shown in the control panel. This I expected. The app still showed temperatures way above this. The locked in temperatures I reported above. Whilst I away I changed the custom menu, cancelling and choosing another. That message got through to the control panel for it was reading so. Yet temperature changes were not. An odd situation for the app showed the changes had been made as did the control panel but the app was not getting the temperature information and showed incorrect info. Whilst the
            Gateway showed three green lights and appeared to be working I reset the Gateway, rebound it and that immediately restored everything. The app just bounced back with correct readings. Why the Gateway should have suddenly exhibited this problem I don't know. Perhaps it is Honeywell's way of encouraging me to upgrade the control panel to the new version!
            Last edited by G4RHL; 21 December 2015, 06:52 AM.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

I am beginning to wonder now whether the system maintenance that was I understand done on Wednesday last has caused some issues. I have just tried to turn up the temperature in one room ahead of its normal time and the system accepted that but when in the app I went to look at the schedule for the room I get the message "There is a problem retrieving your schedule. Please check your system's compatibility or try again later." There has been no change in my system my end but issues seem to have arisen since around Wednesday last.

Three issues now, initially the Gateway whilst connected to the Internet would not reconnect after the broadband connection was switched off in the early hours of Thursday last, fixed by a reset of the Gateway, Friday onwards the app would make changes over the Internet but showed false readings of temperature, this morning when I try to check my system is suggested to be incompatible.

Do any of our Honeywell colleagues know what work was done in the server last week that could possibly be creating these issues?

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

Pursuant to my post this morning a check of my 12 rooms or zones (including hot water) shows:

In 9 of them in the app I get the message "There is a problem retrieving your schedule. Please check your system's compatibility or try again later." In 3 all is fine. I appear to have a corruption of some sort in the app but it appears in whatever device I use. I tried own my wife's iPhone where the app is seldom used and the same appears there. If I want to change the temperature in a room or invoke a quick action it works fine but in 9 zones I cannot now edit schedules using the app. Anybody know of an easy way to put this right before I mess things up by trying?! On the control panel itself all is fine in every zone and scheduled settings can be changed. It would seem something happened to corrupt the data in three zones. This has happened after Wednesday last week. I have tried changing the schedules on the control panel to see if this prompts an update and rectification in the app. It did in one zone but no others.

Comment

• HenGus
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • May 2014

I assume that you are using the updated app? IOS version was released at teatime.

Comment

• G4RHL
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                    I assume that you are using the updated app? IOS version was released at teatime.
                    No, i wasn't until now. I did not know there was one! Have just updated and yes this appears to have resolved the issue. It seems the server updating last week was ahead of the app updating and the two must have been conflicting until the app update was released. Am delighted to see that where I live now exists as well! Thanks for alerting me to this.

An email to users to say there may be issues and there is an update would not go amiss! I would not have to have spent wasted time chasing my tail checking and re checking at my end!
                    Last edited by G4RHL; 21 December 2015, 10:15 PM.

Comment

• Mavis
                      Automated Home Ninja
                      • Oct 2014

Interesting. I haven't had any problems with the app since the outage and later that day I lived nearer to home . My postal town is now recognised again (although the pit village where I actually live is not - BBC weather does recognise it).

I too hadn't realised there was an update to the app and it does mention about the weather fix so not sure how my weather started working already.

Comment

• Mavis
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Oct 2014

Just installed the new app and it does now recognise my exact location

Comment

• HenGus
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • May 2014

Pleased to hear that you are up and running again.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                            No, i wasn't until now. I did not know there was one! Have just updated and yes this appears to have resolved the issue. It seems the server updating last week was ahead of the app updating and the two must have been conflicting until the app update was released. Am delighted to see that where I live now exists as well! Thanks for alerting me to this.

An email to users to say there may be issues and there is an update would not go amiss! I would not have to have spent wasted time chasing my tail checking and re checking at my end!
                            I've only just updated the iPhone app tonight and I haven't had any issues with editing schedules on zones since last weeks server maintenance.

Annoyingly, the app update signed me out of the app, but after signing back in I don't notice any difference from the old version of the app.

Comment

• G4RHL
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                              Pleased to hear that you are up and running again.
                              Thanks.

There really is something wrong with what Honeywell consider customer relations is. They send out an email to say there there will be a server outage, nothing about the bugs it might create and then quietly release an update in the app without telling the same people emailed about the pending server outage. It takes little intelligence to see that it would be helpful to advise people what was happening and what to expect rather than have users wasting so much time and in my case coming back to a house with the heating off, spending some time trying to work out what the problem is, posting queries in the forum. What happens? A quiet unannounced release of an app update that puts right the bugs the server outage presumably caused but does little more than that it seems except at long last it knows approximately where I live. Other apps pulling in weather reports seem to know exactly where I live.

I assume this is an urgent temporary fix and not a major upgrade as was hoped for. There is much needs to be done to give more flexibility in using the app, plus it could be made nicer to look at and able to run on an iPad properly.

Honeywell, talk to your customers. It is not rocket science.

Comment

Working...
                              X