• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yiangosliv
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Evohome hot water kit. Insertion sensor

Hi,
    I bought the evo home hot water kit and i was wondering how i can use the insertion sensor (actually where to place it to get readings). Anyone who did an installation using the specific sensor? Maybe some photos if possible
    Last edited by yiangosliv; 22 December 2015, 01:20 PM.
  • yiangosliv
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Update: I have visited my Hot water tank vendor who explained me how I can gain access on the tank metal without destroying the insulation. There is a top cover which can be removed and it seems that there is enough space to place either the strap-on sensor or the insertion sensor. I took a photo and I was wondering if anyone could give some more insight on this. the cylinder is on the roof top and the cylinder is placed horizontallyHOT WATER TANK.jpg.

Comment

• Mr_Freeze
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2015

Not wanting to hijack your thread Yiangosliv, but I have also purchased a hot water kit and wanted to ask what people use to secure the insertion sensor on a megaflow cylinder. I'm guessing one of the brass threaded plugs which has an Allen key pattern on the inner is the place you're supposed to insert it, but what do you use to secure and also get thermal transfer?

Comment

• yiangosliv
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2015

No Problem Mr_freeze I assume the brass threaded plug inside has direct contact with the Cylinder's inner metal?

Comment

• londonbairn
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2015

Let me know how you do it Mr Freeze. I want to add the hot water control to our mega flow

Comment

• Mr_Freeze
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Dec 2015

So his is what I've done just to test it out.
            I've temporarily inserted the sensor into the brass plug and simply pushed in some cable sheathing to squeeze the probe up against the brass.
            I'm getting a reading of 47 deg from the water been on for just a short while.
            So now I want a permanent solution. I could use something like E-metal etc, but this would be a permanent solution as it sets like metal. I'd prefer a less permanent solution in case I have to remove it, any ideas?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Oct 2014

To be honest, I just squirted a bit of thermal paste into the hole and stuffed the sensor in, wedging it as you did with a bit of sheathing. Works fine.

Comment

• rotor
                Automated Home Guru
                • Aug 2015

Search Amazon for thermal compound, and you will find many things like this:

It doesn't set, it remains a paste. It's a bit messy, but wipes off very easily. So just apply generous amounts of paste to the length of the probe, and stuff it in there with something that won't melt. Easy peasy.

Comment

• dws199
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Apr 2016

Hi

I have the same requirement to fit the sensor to my Megaflo 210i cyclinder. I looked at doing Mr_Freeze's suggestion but I found that the hole is very shallow on my cylinder so only the very tip of the sensor can be inserted, therefore I don't think this will give a very accurate reading. However, yiangosliv suggestion of placing the sensor on the top of the tank looks feasible but has anyone attempted this? Was the top cover difficult to get off?

Thanks in advance
                  Last edited by dws199; 27 June 2016, 12:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X