• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Felkin123
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Comms fault , living room, actuator

Hi all, very glad to find this forum, I'm a noob here. I self installed the Evohome system about 3 months ago and all has been well till recently. I have 6 zones all of which behave as they should apart from my living room, this is a double length opened out room with 3 radiators in the zone. Each with an HR92 fitted, One at each end under the windows and one halfway down by the door. This room also has Digital room stat DTS 92 placed opposite the door on the wall, I have the DTS bound first as the primary actuator and the 3 HR92s bound as secondary, The main control unit is also in this room as I haven't wall mounted it elsewhere in the house yet, this is disabled as main temp sensor. So recently I keep getting the red triangle warning for this zone which says actuator comms fault, this is weird though because as far as I can tell they're all working as they should, when I override the system by the app, the control unit or on the DTS92 the 3 (slave) HR92s all adjust as they should although the one under the front window does not appear to open the valve (This doesn't stop the room coming to temp) I have deleted and reset the zone a couple of times, I also reset and rebound the 92s and the fault keeps recurring very quickly. any ideas ?
  • HenGus
    Automated Home Legend
    • May 2014

The question that will be asked is 'have you conformed with the siting requirements for the BDRs when you installed the Evohome system'?

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Oct 2014

Swap the radiator heads around. Some seem to have better range than others.

Comment

• Felkin123
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2015

I didn't actually fit the BDR 91 this was done by my boiler installer to use with the DTS 92 as a single zone set up, this was a major reason for choosing evohome as I can "bolt on" to what I already had. my boiler is located in a cupboard with Louvre door in the bathroom on the first floor, the BDR 91 is located beneath a wooden shelf in the same cupboard, this is less than 30cm from the boiler so I need to move it further away according to installation procedure, not a problem to do this, If this was the cause of the issue Wouldn't this have caused a problem sooner ? And why is the controller reporting a fault in the living room zone with an actuator not a problem with the Boiler relay ? Wouldn't it report a boiler relay comms fault if this was the fault ?

Comment

• Felkin123
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2015

I have swapped the heads about as suggested, What is the easiest way to clear the fault from the controller ? Do I have to delete and reconfigure the zone every time ? That's a bit of a ball ache for testing purposes !

Comment

• Felkin123
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Dec 2015

Have done an RF check on the Boiler relay and the DTS 92 and the 3 HR92s and they all test as 5 bars - excellent.

Comment

• Jom
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by Felkin123 View Post
              I have swapped the heads about as suggested, What is the easiest way to clear the fault from the controller ? Do I have to delete and reconfigure the zone every time ? That's a bit of a ball ache for testing purposes !
              You could try removing the batteries from the Evohome controller. This will reset the controller and should clear the faults. Might be easier than removing devices and reminding again.

Comment

• Felkin123
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by Jom View Post
                You could try removing the batteries from the Evohome controller. This will reset the controller and should clear the faults. Might be easier than removing devices and reminding again.
                Sometimes it's the little things that get overlooked 😀 Yup that worked, have also installed the BDR as per installation spec and it is in direct line of sight of the controller which is now wall mounted. Downside is that I think the optimisation knowledge has been lost as the temps in the upstairs rooms (well insulated with big rads) have shot up, Developers ? Could you include a fault clearance function in future releases ?

Comment

• HenGus
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • May 2014

Originally posted by Felkin123 View Post
                  Sometimes it's the little things that get overlooked �� Yup that worked, have also installed the BDR as per installation spec and it is in direct line of sight of the controller which is now wall mounted. Downside is that I think the optimisation knowledge has been lost as the temps in the upstairs rooms (well insulated with big rads) have shot up, Developers ? Could you include a fault clearance function in future releases ?
                  Painful - I know, but you can clear the fault log by removing the batteries from the Evohome controller. The controller can take up to a couple of hours to find all the zones. You can't hasten the process by briefly touching the button on any HR2s slow to synch.

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Oct 2014

Developers ? Could you include a fault clearance function in future releases ?
                    It's in the current firmware on the WiFi model.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
                      It's in the current firmware on the WiFi model.
                      It is ? When I was initially having comms faults on mine I had to remove the batteries to clear the comms fault - I didn't see any option to clear it from the UI.

By "current" firmware do you mean the older firmware the devices shipped with (which mine was running at the time) or the newer firmware which is not generally available yet ? (which I have now)

Comment

• Felkin123
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Dec 2015

Same question as Mandrake ?

Comment

• Fursty Ferret
                          Automated Home Sr Member
                          • Oct 2014

The newer firmware.

Comment

• Felkin123
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Dec 2015

That's great ! So where does one find this fabled firmware update ?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
                              The newer firmware.
                              Ok. I have not had any comms faults since the newer firmware to test with. (That's a good thing of course!)

Comment

Working...
                              X