• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bazcurtis
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2016

Homebridge username

Hi,

I have managed to get Homebridge installed on a Debian VM on my Mac and it is working great. I have a question about the config file.

In the config file the sample has a username and a pin. Should this be changed or is everyone running with the example username and pin? This doesn't sound a good idea. Can this be changed to anything in the example format?

Best wishes

Michael
  • Mavis
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Oct 2014

I have just installed homebridge with a great deal of pain onto a Raspberry pi and one of the reasons I had problems was that I was missing the piece of code with the username and pin from the config file. After googling endlessly I realised that I needed this username and pin. All the googling brought up the same piece of code with the same 'default' username and password (ie it did not bring up code with xxxx in or any reference to change it.

Initially without the code I was getting an error saying incorrect format for the username but when I first input it I must have got it wrong and it came up with the error incorrect username, leading me to believe that you just cannot put a new one in.

I am sure that someone with more knowledge will be along soon as this was my first forage for a long time into coding.

Edit - I am wrong. See this page. I doesn't tell you how to do it but it does say at the bottom that you can change the username.
    HomeKit support for the impatient. Contribute to homebridge/homebridge development by creating an account on GitHub.
    Last edited by Mavis; 4 January 2016, 08:32 AM.

Comment

• bazcurtis
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2016

Hi Mavis,

Thanks for the feedback. My next task is to setup it up on a Raspberry Pi. I wanted to see how it worked first easily. If it makes you feel any better it took me all day to get it working on Debian and I work in IT .

Best wishes

Michael

Comment

Working...
      X