New firmware for WIFi enabled ATC928G3000?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basiluk
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by MrB View Post
    Thanks to Honeywell chaps on here I have the new WiFi controller firmware. As others have stated the manual override now shows on the screen which helps with the general management of 12 TRVs. Have to say that after the control of the TRV's the timing Optimisation for the rad temperatures is the best thing about the Evohome. Everybody I've explained it to sees it as the main USP. They love the idea that the system gets the temp to what you want at the time you want. None of the problems of a really cold night and the timer turns it all on and by the time you go to work the house has reached the required temp.
    I have asked in three threads but no one from Honeywell will answer - PLEASE can I have the new firmware?

Comment

• Gudge
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2015

Originally posted by basiluk View Post
      I have asked in three threads but no one from Honeywell will answer - PLEASE can I have the new firmware?
      I have told you how to find out how to request the firmware (see my post above). Read the thread and request as per the instructions in the thread, then maybe you will get lucky.

Comment

• basiluk
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by Gudge View Post
        I have told you how to find out how to request the firmware (see my post above). Read the thread and request as per the instructions in the thread, then maybe you will get lucky.
        Thanks, but the link that you posted does not take you to an email address. It should not be able getting lucky, it should be about customer service for people that have invested hundreds in an advanced system.

Apple push updates to me, Microsoft also push FOC, all my other apps provide FOC updates, and firmware for appliances is available on the manufacturers web site. So why do you have to ask around in forums to get what is a bug fix for a manual override issue on TRV's?

Comment

• Gudge
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2015

Thanks, but the link that you posted does not take you to an email address. It should not be able getting lucky, it should be about customer service for people that have invested hundreds in an advanced system.

Apple push updates to me, Microsoft also push FOC, all my other apps provide FOC updates, and firmware for appliances is available on the manufacturers web site. So why do you have to ask around in forums to get what is a bug fix for a manual override issue on TRV's?
          From what I have read, the software will be pushed out when its ready for release. The post that I pointed you towards tells you how to request an advanced (basically beta) copy of the firmware, but its just that, its not freely available yet. (Read from Post 100 onwards of the thread that I pointed you towards)
          Last edited by Gudge; 11 January 2016, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

You're being a bit unfair here and misrepresenting the situation.

First, Honeywell has never pushed any software updates for any of the Evohome controllers before to my knowledge, so when publicly released this software update for the wi-fi version of the controller will be the first such update, so there is no prior precedence to expect a software update from them like you might on a device like an iPhone, which receives software updates all the time and is widely advertised as such. The fact that we are getting an update at all with the wi-fi model after previous models received no updates is good news IMHO.

Second, the local override issue is not a bug - it was the way it was designed and intended to operate. Like you and most other people I agree that the way it was designed to operate prior to the update (local overrides not being communicated back to the controller) was wrong and unintuitive, but it was most certainly not a bug as it was documented to behave that way.

It seems that Honeywell listened to the feedback on this point (there is a lot of discussion about this limitation on this forum alone, as well as a mention of it in most online reviews) and decided to do something about it. This is a "new feature", "enhancement", or "change in behaviour", not a bug fix in my opinion, as someone who is involved in software development at a hobbyist level and has dealt with both bug fixing and implementing new features in software used by a lot of people.

Third, as for customer service - you need to keep in mind that this is a pre-release version of the software, whose existence you would not even be aware of if it were not for postings from Honeywell employees on this forum, apparently in an unofficial capacity and possibly in their own time. They have gone out of their way to make us aware of the software update that is coming and enabled a few people to get an early copy of the firmware before general release. Am I glad I was able to get a copy on my controller early ? You bet. I spend a lot of time testing and debugging software so of course I jumped at the chance, especially when it promised to cure my pet peeve with the Evotouch system. (which it did, as promised)

Would I have been annoyed if I couldn't have got it after being made aware of it - perhaps, but I don't have any expectation of being able to receive pre-release firmware from a large company like Honeywell who have no prior track record for releasing firmware updates for the Evotouch system, so if I couldn't have got it I would have been content to know that an update that addressed my pet peeve was coming soon.

In my case the Honeywell support person who dealt with my email (I just emailed to the originally provided address, I didn't use the web form) responded very quickly and was very helpful, even emailing me before, during and after the update process (which is apparently a two step process with two separate downloads) and then even reported that they had monitored the system for a few hours after the update was completed to confirm it was running ok, which was nice to know as I was away from the house during the entire update process.

If the software is pre-release that means they probably haven't quite finished testing it yet, so they're under no obligation to provide it to anyone and everyone who asks for it, any more than any other software developer is. Far from bad customer service it's possible that a last minute issue has been discovered on the small number of devices it has been pushed out to so if they are no longer pushing it out to individual devices that might be the reason. (I have not noticed any problems with mine)

If you can't get them to install a copy early for you just be patient and I'm sure it will be out soon, when they're 100% happy with it and the feedback from early testers is good.

Sending out an insufficiently tested update in the middle of winter that bricks tens of thousands of controllers causing freezing houses and burst pipes would not look good on their resume, especially when they have not pushed an over the air update before, so I can understand their caution!
            Last edited by DBMandrake; 11 January 2016, 11:30 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

Originally posted by MrB View Post
              Thanks to Honeywell chaps on here I have the new WiFi controller firmware. As others have stated the manual override now shows on the screen which helps with the general management of 12 TRVs. Have to say that after the control of the TRV's the timing Optimisation for the rad temperatures is the best thing about the Evohome. Everybody I've explained it to sees it as the main USP. They love the idea that the system gets the temp to what you want at the time you want. None of the problems of a really cold night and the timer turns it all on and by the time you go to work the house has reached the required temp.
              I last tried optimization a year ago and in my case it was a waste as it brought the heating on far too early plus off too early. A year on and having recently spent my money on the new wifi control panel, and having read reports optimization is good am trying it again. So far I see little difference to the last time, it comes on nearly an hour before the set point but it takes 30 minutes max to get a room up to temperature, plus the room temperature is acceptable in about 10 minutes. However, it is early days, only a week since I switched optimization on. Will report back in another two weeks. At present it is costing me money to use it.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                I last tried optimization a year ago and in my case it was a waste as it brought the heating on far too early plus off too early. A year on and having recently spent my money on the new wifi control panel, and having read reports optimization is good am trying it again. So far I see little difference to the last time, it comes on nearly an hour before the set point but it takes 30 minutes max to get a room up to temperature, plus the room temperature is acceptable in about 10 minutes. However, it is early days, only a week since I switched optimization on. Will report back in another two weeks. At present it is costing me money to use it.
                Can you confirm your firmware version ?

Also how long have you had it enabled ? In my experience optimum start will only adjust the starting time by a maximum of 15 minutes per day so it can take many days to home in on the correct starting time.

Also I suspect if you make changes to the set point (and possibly the one before it) it may reset or hinder the learning process - so if you keep making adjustments to the set points it will never settle down. They need to be left alone.

Are you graphing your set points ?
                Last edited by DBMandrake; 12 January 2016, 08:11 AM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  Can you confirm your firmware version ?

Also how long have you had it enabled ? In my experience optimum start will only adjust the starting time by a maximum of 15 minutes per day so it can take many days to home in on the correct starting time.

Also I suspect if you make changes to the set point (and possibly the one before it) it may reset or hinder the learning process - so if you keep making adjustments to the set points it will never settle down. They need to be left alone.

Are you graphing your set points ?
                  I have no idea what firmware is being used as I cannot see a way to find out on the Control Panel.

I am aware that it takes time for optimisation to learn which is why I will let it run for three weeks before making a final judgment. This is what I did a year ago. Result was I switched it off. So far, one week in, it is switching on about 59 minutes before the set point. Set points have not been changed. From notes kept it shows that where a room is at 16c or 16.5c it switches on about 58 or 59 minutes early to bring the temperature up to 20c but that is achieved within 30 minutes. On one occasion it switched on 35 minutes early when the room temperature was 17c but that is a one off. However, it is too early to judge other than to say I am getting a similar result as I got a year ago. I suppose I could once my test is run put forward the start time from say 07:00 to 08:00 and leave optimisation on! Currently this would have the same result as optimisation off and start time 07:00. End of the month I will have a better idea.

Would appreciate somebody telling me how I find out what firmware I am running.

Comment

• rotor
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Aug 2015

I am running the latest firmware, and optimum stop (is that what it's called?) works brilliantly. I'm not awake to see if optimum start is working as it should, but once I get graphing going, I will know. The HR92 setpoint adjustment through to the main controller works brilliantly, within 5 seconds it shows up on the main controller.

Comment

• rotor
                      Automated Home Guru
                      • Aug 2015

Would appreciate somebody telling me how I find out what firmware I am running.
                      From this post: http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ll=1#post20512

"You should be able to check the firmware version by doing a quick tap on 'settings' on the evohome main screen followed by a long tap (arround 20s) on 'device settings'. The system should then display an info screen with the device id and application software version followed by a date etc."

Comment

• G4RHL
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by rotor View Post
                        From this post: http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ll=1#post20512

"You should be able to check the firmware version by doing a quick tap on 'settings' on the evohome main screen followed by a long tap (arround 20s) on 'device settings'. The system should then display an info screen with the device id and application software version followed by a date etc."
                        Thanks. Yes it does. Tells me the Application Software Version is 01.00.02.01 and the WiFi Software Version is 01.00.02.00. It does not give me a date though.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

Thanks. Yes it does. Tells me the Application Software Version is 01.00.02.01 and the WiFi Software Version is 01.00.02.00. It does not give me a date though.
                          That is the new version that I'm now running that supports the local override display. Do local overrides made directly on an HR92 display on the controller ?

The original firmware that my device shipped with (bought only a month ago) was Application Software 01.00.01.00 and Wifi Software 01.00.01.00.
                          Last edited by DBMandrake; 12 January 2016, 02:04 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jan 2015

Yup, local overrides show, and a blessing that they do!

Comment

Working...
                            X