Upgrade heating to smart heating - with what system?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MightyDuck
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2016

Upgrade heating to smart heating - with what system?

Hi!

I want to upgrade our heating to a smart one.
    We have a flat, and we don't have access to the full house boiler, so control has to be done at the radiators.

We got 4 rooms to heat, one with 2 rads, and 3 room with one rad, and I would like to control this 4 room as separate zones.

My plan would be to get 4 TRV-s, that's (almost) sure, and to keep it relatíve cheap

A main controller would be nice, smartphone (or web) based access is not neccessary.
    Room thermostats (1 per room) would be nice, but as I saw it, they are pretty costly.

I'm an IT guy, so it could handle installation.

I've seen Honeywell evohome sytem, which lead me to the conclusion that an evohome Wi-Fi base pack and 5*Honeywell evohome HR92UK Radiator Controller (HR92) would be suffincent for me, but i would like to see if there is a system with better price/value ratio.

What would you suggest for me?

Thank you for your replies
  • Jom
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2015

I have Honeywell Evohome and 8 of the HR92 valve heads fitted on my heating system. If any radiator is calling for heat, the Evohome boiler relay can fire the boiler. You mention in your posting not having much access to the boiler. Have you access to the time clock or programmer? The Evohome base pack includes a boiler relay BDR 91 so that Evohome can control firing the boiler. If you have access to time clock or programmer, then perhaps you can fit the BDR91. Without the relay you would lose much of the advantages of Evohome I think.

There are other programmable time and temperature TRV heads available these days. one example is the Pegler Terrier I-Temp i30 Programmable TRV. You could take off existing TRV heads and replace with these. These would be much cheaper than Honeywell HR92's but I don't have any experience of them though. At the end of the day you get what you pay for I suppose. As far as I know Danfoss and other manufacturer have similar products.

Comment

• MightyDuck
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Jom View Post
      I have Honeywell Evohome and 8 of the HR92 valve heads fitted on my heating system. If any radiator is calling for heat, the Evohome boiler relay can fire the boiler. You mention in your posting not having much access to the boiler. Have you access to the time clock or programmer? The Evohome base pack includes a boiler relay BDR 91 so that Evohome can control firing the boiler. If you have access to time clock or programmer, then perhaps you can fit the BDR91. Without the relay you would lose much of the advantages of Evohome I think.
      There is one "boiler" for the entire house, around 10 flats, so I can't control it, just the radiators.

Thank you, I will look at I-Temp i30 soon.

Ps: I left it out, but we would like to have wireless TRVs.
      Last edited by MightyDuck; 6 January 2016, 10:12 PM.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

Evohome would work, but without access to the boiler control I don't think it would be working at its best.

Another option would be the new Energenie Smart Radiator Valves. These are simpler, cheaper devices that might give you what you need: https://energenie4u.co.uk/index.phpc...duct/ENER021-2

How is your heating billed? Is it just the house bill divided by ten, or is the incoming heat to each flat metered individually? If it's the former then I guess you are looking for comfort rather than efficiency?

P.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

This is probably a better link for the Energenie stuff (better description text): https://energenie4u.co.uk/catalogue/product/MIHO013-2

P.

Comment

• MightyDuck
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            Evohome would work, but without access to the boiler control I don't think it would be working at its best.

Another option would be the new Energenie Smart Radiator Valves. These are simpler, cheaper devices that might give you what you need: https://energenie4u.co.uk/index.phpc...duct/ENER021-2

How is your heating billed? Is it just the house bill divided by ten, or is the incoming heat to each flat metered individually? If it's the former then I guess you are looking for comfort rather than efficiency?

P.
            The heating is metered individually, but comfort is a little bit bigger reason to look for smart home, than efficiency.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
              Site Sponsor
              • Dec 2014

Originally posted by MightyDuck View Post
              The heating is metered individually, but comfort is a little bit bigger reason to look for smart home, than efficiency.
              Do you have a motorised zone valve isolating the heating coming into your flat?

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
                Do you have a motorised zone valve isolating the heating coming into your flat?
                That was going to be my next question! If so, Evohome starts to gain an advantage again!

P.

Comment

Working...
                X