Thread: Only one rad working in room [Evohome]

Automated Home Jr Member

Question Only one rad working in room [Evohome]

I seem to have a problem that I suspect is not unique to me. I have set up a room with four radiators in it with HR92 valves. They all report binding with the right room name and seem to pick up the demanded temperature from the controller. However, only one of the them ever opens and this one seems to behave completely normally. All the others remain shut with their position at '00'. I originally set this zone to be a 'multi-room' zone but I have since then reverted back to single room.

I have deleted the room and started again and the problem seems to persist, but now the 'good' valve is the one I first programmed. Has anyone got any ideas about this?

Dan

Hi Dan,

If you had bound the HR92's correctly, they would be working.

In a room where HR92's share the same airspace, single room is the option you need, not multi room. Multi room is for when you have one zone (say the entire downstairs for instance) containing multiple rooms with HR92's in them.

I would try, removing the zone, rebooting the evohome Controller (part or remove the batteries behind the fascia), removing the binding from the HR92's (get to BIND then press and hold the button until CLEARED shows) and then rebind the zone (don't rush the binding and make sure you have adequate spacing between the each device and the evohome Controller when you bind them).

I hope that helps.

Richard

Automated Home Jr Member

Thank you Richard for your helpful advice. I started to wonder if the HR92s were assembled correctly and had a look at the instructions. I removed the tops of the troublesome valves and turned the black ring all the way anticlockwise and then reassembled. The valves automatically cycled and from then on worked normally from then on. I think that this was the problem.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by dkleeman View Post
    Thank you Richard for your helpful advice. I started to wonder if the HR92s were assembled correctly and had a look at the instructions. I removed the tops of the troublesome valves and turned the black ring all the way anticlockwise and then reassembled. The valves automatically cycled and from then on worked normally from then on. I think that this was the problem.
    Are you sure the small sliding latch was properly in the locked position ? If it is in the open position then "Valve position" (menu option 10) will always report 0% open and the actuator motor will never move, because it believes it is not fitted to a radiator.

In this condition nothing untoward will be reported on the display - everything will appear normal apart from the lack of radiator control. I suspect your latches were not locked or maybe not clicked quite far enough across so that it was physically locking it from being pulled off but not recognising that it was locked to activate the actuator motor.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 10th January 2016 at 05:06 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Are you sure the small sliding latch was properly in the locked position ? If it is in the open position then "Valve position" (menu option 10) will always report 0% open and the actuator motor will never move, because it believes it is not fitted to a radiator.
    That is quite possible, yes, although I thought they were latched. Thanks DBMandrake

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post

In this condition nothing untoward will be reported on the display - everything will appear normal apart from the lack of radiator control. I suspect your latches were not locked or maybe not clicked quite far enough across so that it was physically locking it from being pulled off but not recognising that it was locked to activate the actuator motor.
    As said above should the locking catch not be in the 'locked' position, the HR92 will not operate. The HR92's have an internal micro switch and should the locking catch not be closed the valve will be interlocked against the operation of the motor. Section 7 'Help with problems' on Page 10 of the HR92 Installation Manual has a full Error table detailing this - https://products.ecc.emea.honeywell....-uk07r0215.pdf