• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gl3n
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

Wifi model

Hi,

Quick question, now there seems to be updates appearing for the wifi model of evohome is there any compelling reasons to upgrade from the older model?

Thanks

Gl3n
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

I think most will say the HR92's now updating/displaying local override on the evohome Controller's display was a big plus. I have noticed things 'bind' much easier, but maybe others won't notice this. Obvious that Honeywell want to make improvements where they could and having bound a few of the new firmware versions, I am impressed.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

I took the plunge and spent the money three weeks or so ago. Yes it's great to know if someone has done a local override as I fell foul of that just after Christmas when I did not know it was still running after more than 24 hours. As another reply says I think the binding is better. With the new panel I had to set up all the binding all over again from relays to TRVs. It seemed to happen quicker and was easier, but then that could be having more knowledge now although it is a year since I last did it. Plus I think, but not entirely sure yet that optimization is better. I have only had it running two weeks and will wait a further week before making any judgment but it seems better than last time I tried it in January 2015. It still think it needs 60 minutes though to get a room up to temperature that takes say 40 but it could still be learning. Plus optimization off seems better. Previously rooms would get cold, that does not seem to be happening so much when it operates and we currently have outside temperatures just a little above freezing. If I leave optimization on though I may alter the set point of rooms by 60 minutes so that optimization comes on when the heating would otherwise have come on without optimization. My living room is comfortable after 10 minutes of being on, not up to temperature but acceptable.

One other thing, it frees up a port in your router for another gadget!
      Last edited by G4RHL; 17 January 2016, 07:55 AM.

Comment

• gl3n
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Feb 2015

Thank you, just need to decide if it is worth the upgrade now

Comment

• rh63
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Dec 2015

I just started with evohome and I was lucky getting a Wifi version with the latest software. Binding was not a problem, the only thing I struggled with while binding was the underfloor heating zones but that was probably just me being a novice with evohome.

One thing I found out last week after changing my Wifi channels: the evohome doesn't work on channels above 11. I used channel 13 and it refused to see my network, after changing it to below 11 (9) it worked without any problems.

Comment

• bluemike1676
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Mar 2015

Hi, Does anyone know if the new WiFi model plays ok in an IPv6 environment? Thanks. Mike

Comment

• rotor
              Automated Home Guru
              • Aug 2015

I have IPv6 at home, and the Evohome works fine. I very much doubt it is using IPv6, but the existence of IPv6 doesn't stop it from working, that's for sure.

Comment

• bluemike1676
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Mar 2015

Thanks rotor. I'm running IPv6 alongside IPv4 probably much as you are. My Evohome seems to function ok (including the smart phone app) but also I'm waiting for it to upgrade to the latest version of firmware and that seems to be taking a while. So I wondered if IPv6 in the environment might be causing a problem. After having many problems with Apple TVs falling over because IPv6 is present, I was just wondering.

Comment

• rotor
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Aug 2015

I think the fact that it quite happily reports to the mothership (which is what allows the app to work) means you are OK. The new firmware is going out incredibly slowly, I guess you just have to be patient.

Comment

Working...
                  X