Evohome upgrade from CM927, worth the investment?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Leigh
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2016

Evohome upgrade from CM927, worth the investment?

So, the million dollar question, other than feeding my gadget habit and to bring our house into the 21st century i wondered if anyone else has upgraded from a CM927 to an evohome system and your thoughts?

We have a 1950's bungalow, converted by the previous owners to be chalet style with the upstairs being one large space (one radiator either end) and had a bosch boiler installed a few years back controlled by a CM927 for heating and a separate Honeywell unit for hotwater, all the radiators have TRV's. The downstairs is open plan for the living room, dining room and a small study/office, all of which is heated by a small double fin radiator in the corner of the living room, its too small to heat all this space but we cant add more radiators due to the open nature. When it gets super cold we have a log burner. The kitchen which is off the living room has an aga which does help to warm the main living space and overcome small radiator syndrome.

There is someone at home pretty much everydayand the main living room and open space is the main place to be. These rooms are be maintained at a higher temperature while the two downstairs bedrooms and the upstairs bedroom are set lower on the TRVs, so in essence it doesnt seem that by upgrading to evohome we are likely to save a great deal on heating and get the evohome to pay for itself and i would just be feeding my gadget habit and getting finer control on a room by room basis.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/assistance.
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Lots of our customers upgrade from the CM927 - evohome is the modern equivalent.

Was there anything you wanted to know in particular?

Comment

• Leigh
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2016

Nothing in particular (see below though!), richard (you?) was very helpful by email last week and rightly pointed out its all subjective on use but i wondered if anyone on here had actually done it and what there thoughts were.

Was interested to see about control of electric underfloor heating through the same system as our dining room has a thermonet system, could this be integrated? and if so what would i need to add?

Comment

• Leigh
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Jan 2016

Anyone have any wise words?

Comment

• sminkypinky155
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jun 2015

I went from a cm927 to evohome last September.

I must admit I had the same feelings as you, am I buying a gadget for the sake of it and will it save me money.

I have to so so far that our gas consumption is well down last year, as much as 40 percent. Obviously I have to take into account the very mild winter we have had so far but I still feel that the savings would have been in the 20 percent band without this.

What I would suggest though is that along with having evohome installed you also have your radiators correctly balanced. We had this done earlier last year as we fe,t our living room was not warming as it should. It transpired that the rads in that room were set to be the last to receive heat. With them adjusted and with hr92s installed they heat up perfectly.

Do did the install myself, just swapping out the bdr91 and fitting the hr92s, all told took a couple of hours.

Up until today I have had the hr92s controlling the heat in the knocked through living room. I've been finding though that they overshoot by quite a way so today I have set up the base unit to control the heating in this room. Will leave it for a couple of weeks to see if that makes any difference.

All in all I highly recommend the system, but I do think balancing your system is a other step to take.

Comment

• Leigh
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2016

Thanks thats really helps, along with a post i read on the HR92's in another thread. We had our rads balanced when our new boiler was installed a while back so thats all ok.

It sounds like you swopped out the BDR91 that was assigned with your CM927 for the one that came with your evohome? did you consider just binding the evohome to your existing BDR91? just curious why you swopped out as i was thinking of just re-binding but for the sake of a few wires it may be as easy to just swop out.

Comment

• sminkypinky155
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jun 2015

Simply because swapping out is easier. I asked on here for advice and Richard from evohome said all I had to do was take the face plate off and click the new one into place. There are no wires that you will need to get involved with, all the connections are in the face plate and that will marry up with what's on the wall. That suited me as I'm no electrician!

Comment

• Leigh
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Jan 2016

Thanks Richard said the same to me on an email last week. I had imagined that the wiring connections were inside the main box (part attached to the wall) with the facia being purely cosmetic, sounds like thats not the case! Not popped mine open to take a look and didnt see it installed.

So in that case you didnt have to bind to the new controller to your existing BDR91, simply swopping the faceplate did that for you?

Thanks again, looks like the credit card could be coming out tomorrow...

Comment

• Leigh
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jan 2016

Placed my order this morning with evohomeshop, should be here tomorrow

Thanks everyone.

Comment

• sminkypinky155
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                    Thanks Richard said the same to me on an email last week. I had imagined that the wiring connections were inside the main box (part attached to the wall) with the facia being purely cosmetic, sounds like thats not the case! Not popped mine open to take a look and didnt see it installed.

So in that case you didnt have to bind to the new controller to your existing BDR91, simply swopping the faceplate did that for you?

Thanks again, looks like the credit card could be coming out tomorrow...
                    That's right. If you buy the kit that includes the BDR91 it will be pre bound to the controller. I see you have already ordered, good luck and don't forget to come back here if you have any problems, there's always someone available to help.

Comment

• Leigh
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Jan 2016

Well its arrived and im stuck at work. Will let you know how the install goes.

Top service from The Evohome Shop. Thanks Richard and the team.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                        Site Sponsor
                        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by Leigh View Post
                        Well its arrived and im stuck at work. Will let you know how the install goes.

Top service from The Evohome Shop. Thanks Richard and the team.
                        Thanks Leigh! If you need anything you know my number.

Comment

• Leigh
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jan 2016

Well the good news is that the HR92s fit my generically branded Plumbase TRVs. The bad news is that the dogs need walking before i can play....

Comment

• Leigh
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Jan 2016

All setup and seems to be working ok, need to go round and check the RF signals on a few rooms. Schedule programmed to.

Does the controller screensaver page show actual room temperatures or programmed temperatures? Cant see anything in the manual, worked out how to change the HR92's to show room temp, but cant verify what the controller is displaying.

Another quick question do the HR9s communicate with the controller or or the BDR91? i.e. where do they send their signal too? (presuming the controller)
                            Last edited by Leigh; 20 January 2016, 09:26 PM.

Comment

• sminkypinky155
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Jun 2015

The controller is showing actual room temperature on the screen saver page - press the screen and the big figures are actual temperature, the smaller ones set temperature.

The 92's communicate with the controller which in turn talks to the bdr91.

Comment

Working...
                              X