Anyone successfully graphing with cacti?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rotor
    Automated Home Guru
    • Aug 2015

Anyone successfully graphing with cacti?

Hi folks,

Yesterday I made an attempt at getting a cacti Centos 7 VM up and running. I got cacti running, and the default graphs (e.g. CPU, RAM of the localhost) work fine. But when I try to add the cacti template (http://docs.cacti.net/usertemplate:graph:evohome), I have not been able to produce a graph. I think the key issue is that the poller says "There are no items in your poller for this polling cycle".

Was anyone successful with cacti, and if so, did you by any chance document the process of setting it up?

Thanks in advance.
  • Ton
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2016

Originally posted by rotor View Post
    Hi folks,
    Was anyone successful with cacti, and if so, did you by any chance document the process of setting it up?
    Sorry, can't help you, but having the same problem. Did try setting up cacti on a Raspberry Pi yesterday. Got the same results as you: the default graphs are displaying, but no success with the evohome templates.

Changed the url in <cact>/scripts/evohome.php to https://tccna.honeywell.com/WebAPI/....... but that didn't help either.

Tried some other things too (using data source debug output created rrd file manual; set data template to active) but no luck so far.

Hope someone else will succeed and share a HOWTO

Comment

• PaulB
      Automated Home Sr Member
      • Sep 2015

I moved from Cacti to Graphite a while back (before I got EvoHome), however, did you set it up as per the instructions on the plugin page?

Import the xml graph templates and upload the evohome.php script to your cacti scripts directory and the evohome.xml to resource/script_query.
      This template's script_query connects to www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com using your login details to download your zone stats.
      Create a host for 127.0.0.1 and set Downed Device Detection to NONE and then use snmp v3 username and password inputs for your www.mytotalconnectcomfort.com login details.
      Cacti can be a funny one for getting running initially... Especially when you want to add something new to monitor.

Comment

• Ton
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Feb 2016

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
        I moved from Cacti to Graphite a while back (before I got EvoHome), however, did you set it up as per the instructions on the plugin page?
        Yes, I did. But for an unexperienced newly cacti-user there are lots of choices to be made which aren't mentioned by the few instruction lines, which seem to be aimed at more experienced users.

Still trying :-)

Comment

• PaulB
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Sep 2015

I'll give it a try now on mine (just restored my old cacti vm to test it)...

Comment

• Ton
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by PaulB View Post
            I'll give it a try now on mine (just restored my old cacti vm to test it)...
            Thanks, appreciated !

Saw, by running the evohome.php script from CLI curl was not installed.
            Did that, and am now removing all evohome things in cacti to retry from scratch

Comment

• Ton
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Feb 2016

Well, I came a small step further now.
              After creating a data query, associating that to the device and running a verbode query, now in /tmp a /tmp/cacti-evohome-<username>-cache file appeared.
              Its contents:
              [{"deviceID":"0","locationName":null,"name":"Outsid e","temp":null,"setpoint":null}]

But obviously I'm missing some steps. The script is not polled according to the log, graph debug mode says: ERROR: opening '/var/lib/cacti/rra/evohome_setpoint_24.rrd': No such file or directory

Comment

• PaulB
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Sep 2015

So I got the graphs created, got as far as the SNMP setup, host added, however:

Data Query Debug Information
                + Running data query [14].
                + Found type = '3' [SNMP Query].
                + Found data query XML file at '/usr/share/cacti/site/resource/script_queries/evohome.xml'
                + XML file parsed ok.
                + <oid_num_indexes> missing in XML file, 'Index Count Changed' emulated by counting oid_index entries
                + Executing SNMP walk for list of indexes @ '' Index Count: 0
                + No SNMP data returned

Also, the graphs are limited to 8 zones in total for the combined output, so you'd need to edit things even more to get more/less zones to display correctly.

Such faffing about to get this to work it's unreal. I'll try for a little longer, but tbh cacti is something I chose to move away from for this very reason.

Comment

• Ton
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Feb 2016

Yes, got the same.

Digging in some further, I ran the evohome script manual, after adding some var_dump/print_r statements.

$session showed:
                  [code] => EmailOrPasswordIncorrect
                  [message] => The email or password provided is incorrect.

Credentials provided were OK, so I'll have to look further. Will be not before later this evening though.

Will look what Graphite is later also.

Comment

• rotor
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Aug 2015

Cacti was a complete waste of time for me -- extremely frustrating, and just no documentation or forum posts to go on.

I'm planning to document the process of setting up a VM with InfluxDB and Grafana, which is really easy to setup, and creates gorgeous graphs. I got the graphing part working, and I got Evohome data manually, I just need to get it polling automatically. I haven't had any time to spend on this, but I should have it ready to go in the next couple of weeks.

Comment

• Ton
                      Automated Home Lurker
                      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by rotor View Post
                      Cacti was a complete waste of time for me -- extremely frustrating, and just no documentation or forum posts to go on.

I'm planning to document the process of setting up a VM with InfluxDB and Grafana, which is really easy to setup, and creates gorgeous graphs. I got the graphing part working, and I got Evohome data manually, I just need to get it polling automatically. I haven't had any time to spend on this, but I should have it ready to go in the next couple of weeks.
                      Starting to think the cacti part is not the problem, but the evohome.php script seems to point to a different API. Maybe it's a different version, maybe the difference is US-emea ..

URL is different from the examples posted in the API thread in this forum, application id is different, session storage seems different.

Comment

• PaulB
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Sep 2015

Originally posted by Ton View Post
                        Starting to think the cacti part is not the problem, but the evohome.php script seems to point to a different API. Maybe it's a different version, maybe the difference is US-emea ..

URL is different from the examples posted in the API thread in this forum, application id is different, session storage seems different.
                        Had a play with the file directly (I first thought the same) but manually launching it works fine. For example:

Code:
                        # php evohome.php "user" "password" "index"
                        Code:
                        # php evohome.php "user" "password" "query" "temp"
                        0:10
                        1:56
                        2:20
                        3:21
                        4:18.5
                        5:21
                        6:19.5
                        7:19.5
                        8:21
                        9:19
                        10:20
                        11:21.5
                        12:17.5
                        Code:
                        # php evohome.php "user" "password" "get" "temp" 12
                        Cookie file is written to /tmp, which is fine, so I don't think the php is the point of failure here...

Comment

• Ton
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Feb 2016

Hmm :-( With me launching manually still fails.

Will try a second set of scripts/templates later this weekend.

The test-api.pl script provided there runs for me, and gives setpoints and actual temparatures

Comment

• Ton
                            Automated Home Lurker
                            • Feb 2016

Originally posted by Ton View Post
                            Will try a second set of scripts/templates later this weekend.
                            Succesfully created some graphs based on these templates, although it took me some tries, and I'm not 100% sure what I did last time different from previous tries.

Comment

Working...
                            X