X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Platform Updates means things like the API and apps.

P.

Comment

• orange
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
      Platform Updates means things like the API and apps.

P.
      Agreed - Honeywell never specifically promised firmware updates BUT in the 21st century when companies sell smart devices that obviously are software/firmware up-datable it seems reasonable that they should/would.

I'd be willing to gamble that most people requesting an upgrade to the wifi version just want the very minor changes like 'local override' displayed on the controller. Basically things that were basically 'wrong' in the original model.

Count me in as one of those disappointed in Honeywell forcing us to spend more money and dispose of even more electronic waste just to get this - it SHOULD be a simple firmware update.

let see what they come up with as an upgrade path

Comment

• SteveP
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by orange View Post
        Agreed - Honeywell never specifically promised firmware updates BUT in the 21st century when companies sell smart devices that obviously are software/firmware up-datable it seems reasonable that they should/would.

I'd be willing to gamble that most people requesting an upgrade to the wifi version just want the very minor changes like 'local override' displayed on the controller. Basically things that were basically 'wrong' in the original model.

Count me in as one of those disappointed in Honeywell forcing us to spend more money and dispose of even more electronic waste just to get this - it SHOULD be a simple firmware update.

let see what they come up with as an upgrade path
        When I purchased the first monochrome version I read somewhere that the USB on the side was designed for local firmware upgrades so I thought I was set for life with that one unit. USB exists on the mark 2 colour version and I was ok to upgrade to get the extra zones plus gateway capability. However, does seem a shame to have to throw away the unit just to get upgrades (even if a trade in offer is made as just seems a waste of resources on a planet that is running out of natural resources) when a nifty pc app supplied by Honeywell would allow local upgrades via the usb?

Comment

• Scointer
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Jan 2016

Agree with you both. Even the cheapest simplest devices are firmware update able. With the USB socket on the side I see this as quite a let down.

Comment

• neilk
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2016

Hi,
            One more for the upgrade, the WIFI unit came out 2 days after mine was installed. I would be happy to ditch the gateway and get new features.
            Thanks,
            Neil

Comment

• neilk
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Jan 2016

Hi,
              Just to be cheeky it would be good to include (or spare) just the new wall mount plate, as I presume the power supply is the same.
              Thanks,
              Neil

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

Originally posted by neilk View Post
                Hi,
                Just to be cheeky it would be good to include (or spare) just the new wall mount plate, as I presume the power supply is the same.
                Thanks,
                Neil
                I was wondering about that as well.

Comment

• orange
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Dec 2014

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                  yes so was I

Comment

• SteveP
                    Automated Home Guru
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                    Me too ! saves throwing away the current wall mount

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by SteveP View Post
                      Me too ! saves throwing away the current wall mount
                      Life is tough. The wall mount for the new WifI panel is different from the old as is the method of supplying power to the panel if in its stand. The new one now requires a PSU, the old one did not. The PSU looks to be the same as the PSU for the "old" Gateway.
                      Last edited by G4RHL; 28 January 2016, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• orange
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
                        Life is tough. The wall mount for the new WifI panel is different from the old as is the method of supplying power to the panel if in its stand. The new one now requires a PSU, the old one did not. The PSU looks to be the same as the PSU for the "old" Gateway.
                        even more built-in obsolescence

Comment

• Securitybyte
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Jan 2016

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                          Quick show of hands - how many people in this forum would be willing to upgrade? (Just the controller obviously)
                          Hi Rameses

I'd too be very interested in the trade in please.

Bought the whole kit including the mobile access kit last summer and a month or two later the new WiFi controller came out. I know that's life, but it was a large investment and I'm really disappointed that my controller will not be upgraded, contrary to the impression given when researching which heating system to choose.

Like most of the enthusiasts on here I am very much into tinkering with the system, finding new ways of integrating it into other things, and using it to its full capability.

Manual adjustments not being displayed on the controller was something that confused me from day one, as I assumed being 'two way' that it would update the controller. My plumber who installed it (and had been on an evohome training course) thought the same.

Long time reader, but had to register to raise my hand

Thanks
                          Last edited by Securitybyte; 29 January 2016, 09:52 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• Rameses
                            Industry Expert
                            • Nov 2014

Hi - thanks for all replies.

We listened and we are sorting something out for those on this 'thread'.

Working with evohomeshop (sponsor of this forum) to deliver.

Please be patient. I am logging all those in this thread.
                            getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• Rameses
                              Industry Expert
                              • Nov 2014

The change in the mount came from lots of research and user testing. (easier to remove with one had, better connector contact, less ingress etc) We had the choice to keep the same connector or deliver an improved one.

We are sorry that the wall mount was changed. But this was unavoidable and a consequence of progress. We do still provide a product stand/mount in the box.
                              getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• HenGus
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                                The change in the mount came from lots of research and user testing. (easier to remove with one had, better connector contact, less ingress etc) We had the choice to keep the same connector or deliver an improved one.

We are sorry that the wall mount was changed. But this was unavoidable and a consequence of progress. We do still provide a product stand/mount in the box.
                                Presumably, the clever bit (AC/DC Supply) behind the faceplate is the same. Is it possible just to change the faceplate?

Comment

Working...
                                X