Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: New Firmware (2.1) for evohome Wi-Fi coming soon

Automated Home Jr Member

I would be interested please count me in ramses

Automated Home Jr Member

I could be interested, although slightly disappointed. My panel is less than a year old and on the thread announcing the Wi-Fi model it was stated very early that both would be kept up to date with any future improvements but this appears to not be the case.

Automated Home Jr Member

Well let's hope a decent deal is announced. Mine is about a year or so old to, maybe a little more but if we can buy into a newer model then I will be happy. If Honeywell keep improving the system and offer some decent incentives for current users then I think the system will continue to grow and grow.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Scointer View Post
    I could be interested, although slightly disappointed. My panel is less than a year old and on the thread announcing the Wi-Fi model it was stated very early that both would be kept up to date with any future improvements but this appears to not be the case.
    Actually if you check the thread carefully there is no mention of software updates for the original Colour Evotouch controller ever being promised.

What was discussed was that there were updates released for the internet gateway to add some new functionality - such as being able to edit schedules via the Smartphone apps. This was achieved with a software update to the gateway not the main controller, and actually preceded the release of the Wifi model.

Obviously software updates to the internet gateway can only affect features that are provided by the gateway, thus the remote scheduling could be added but local HR92 override display cannot, because that is a code change on the main controller.

Obviously on the wifi model because one unit replaces both controller and internet gateway and has a direct IP connection to the internet of its own (which the original did not) then a software update can potentially do anything.

I agree that its pretty poor that the original colour model cannot be upgraded, and having narrowly missed out on getting one myself (dodged the bullet ?) I would have been a bit peeved too, but it is what it is I suppose.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Actually if you check the thread carefully there is no mention of software updates for the original Colour Evotouch controller ever being promised.

What was discussed was that there were updates released for the internet gateway to add some new functionality - such as being able to edit schedules via the Smartphone apps. This was achieved with a software update to the gateway not the main controller, and actually preceded the release of the Wifi model.

Obviously software updates to the internet gateway can only affect features that are provided by the gateway, thus the remote scheduling could be added but local HR92 override display cannot, because that is a code change on the main controller.

Obviously on the wifi model because one unit replaces both controller and internet gateway and has a direct IP connection to the internet of its own (which the original did not) then a software update can potentially do anything.

I agree that its pretty poor that the original colour model cannot be upgraded, and having narrowly missed out on getting one myself (dodged the bullet ?) I would have been a bit peeved too, but it is what it is I suppose.
    Yes it all depends on how you read things but Rameses quote of :-

"Any existing user of evohome would not get any performance benefit from moving to this device. Hence the reason why this is not Gen 2/ v2 etc. Both receive benefits of future platform updates etc. "

read to me like all updates would be across both devices...but I also agree it doesn't specifically mention software updates on the individual devices keeping in sync only 'platform updates' and any firmware update on the main controller would have to be done as a local update. Still would have hoped this would have been possible though, surely when they build these they have to make allowance for some form of update ability.

disappointing :-( especially as I would need a new wall fixing too :-(
    Last edited by Scointer; 27th January 2016 at 01:50 PM.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Platform Updates means things like the API and apps.

P.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Platform Updates means things like the API and apps.

P.
    Agreed - Honeywell never specifically promised firmware updates BUT in the 21st century when companies sell smart devices that obviously are software/firmware up-datable it seems reasonable that they should/would.

I'd be willing to gamble that most people requesting an upgrade to the wifi version just want the very minor changes like 'local override' displayed on the controller. Basically things that were basically 'wrong' in the original model.

Count me in as one of those disappointed in Honeywell forcing us to spend more money and dispose of even more electronic waste just to get this - it SHOULD be a simple firmware update.

let see what they come up with as an upgrade path

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    Agreed - Honeywell never specifically promised firmware updates BUT in the 21st century when companies sell smart devices that obviously are software/firmware up-datable it seems reasonable that they should/would.

I'd be willing to gamble that most people requesting an upgrade to the wifi version just want the very minor changes like 'local override' displayed on the controller. Basically things that were basically 'wrong' in the original model.

Count me in as one of those disappointed in Honeywell forcing us to spend more money and dispose of even more electronic waste just to get this - it SHOULD be a simple firmware update.

let see what they come up with as an upgrade path
    When I purchased the first monochrome version I read somewhere that the USB on the side was designed for local firmware upgrades so I thought I was set for life with that one unit. USB exists on the mark 2 colour version and I was ok to upgrade to get the extra zones plus gateway capability. However, does seem a shame to have to throw away the unit just to get upgrades (even if a trade in offer is made as just seems a waste of resources on a planet that is running out of natural resources) when a nifty pc app supplied by Honeywell would allow local upgrades via the usb?

Automated Home Jr Member

Agree with you both. Even the cheapest simplest devices are firmware update able. With the USB socket on the side I see this as quite a let down.

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi,
    One more for the upgrade, the WIFI unit came out 2 days after mine was installed. I would be happy to ditch the gateway and get new features.
    Thanks,
    Neil