X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Yes some Devices appear to be more fault tolerant than others. Hence why rather than just repeating everything you repeat just the messages of interest and keep the repeating down to the bare minimum. Very clunky but works.

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2016

I know this comment is a bit inflammatory but why is the industry now so obsessed with everything being wireless? Modern houses are being fitted with ethernet cabling as standard and it is very easy to run Cat 5 ethernet cabling around the house. Sockets can be fitted on skirting boards and the cables can be tucked under the edge of carpets in the short term pending the next redecoration of the room when the cabling can be fitted properly. I have just acquired some CCTV cameras which work well using Power over Ethernet (PoE) over a single Cat 5e cable. Is there not a market for Evohome style components that are run by PoE from ethernet cabling? I guess PoE would be powerful enough to supply an HR92 with sufficiently low motor gearing. Having the BDR91s and CS92 (cylinder 'stat) powered by PoE and providing their data by hard wiring would avoid all this silly nonsense of having to space the BDR91s apart and to find good locations for the controller and the CS92 to allow the wireless signals to work consistently. It would also, of course, enable the devices to be designed to send regular update signals, rather than having to use awkward contrived processes to send infrequent updates to preserve battery life. It still bugs me that I have my battery powered wireless thermostats on the wall next to the old cabling that was there for the old thermostats and which could still be used. Some of the Evohome changes for me have been a bit of a backward step. I would feel much more secure with a hard wired system.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

I agree. Or atleast provide this option.

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          I agree. Or atleast provide this option.
          Yes, a good option to have. If I was building, or buying a house being built, I would certainly specify hard wiring to each room. You can still have Wi-Fi but the hard wire connection has many benefits. Plus of course, plenty of mains sockets!

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

WiFi is fine if the device is powered. RF is best if battery powered. The advantage of PoE is that you don't need a power socket near the end point.

Comment

• G4RHL
              Automated Home Legend
              • Jan 2015

WiFi is fine if the device is powered. RF is best if battery powered. The advantage of PoE is that you don't need a power socket near the end point.
              ...err WiFi is RF!

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Edinburgh2000 View Post
                I know this comment is a bit inflammatory but why is the industry now so obsessed with everything being wireless?
                Because it's easy and, in general, it works.

It'd be VERY clunky to have an ethernet port in the skirting board next to every radiator, and a wire connected to the rad valve. That might have been acceptable in the 1990s (when I first saw a system that worked like that), but not in 2017.

P.

Comment

• filbert
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Oct 2017

I didn't notice the micro-usb socket on the HR92 until I saw this thread. Obviously, it could be for a number of uses such as firmware updates, supplying power to avoid batteries, additional sensors, hardwiring and more...

I assume, from the discussion, that no one has analysed it?

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

It's documented. I don’t think it's wired as USB, so couldn’t be used for firmware. ACS90 cable and HCA30 window contact.

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

It also supports a remote temperature sensor, although this isn’t documented in the HR92 manual.
                      63DD939C-8AC5-4C92-B41B-1BB3DDB4BD12.jpg

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

The window sensor is a simple switch between Pin5 GND (black) & Pin3 D+ (green)

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

And the RF20 external heat sensor (good luck finding one) between white and black.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

Imagine how ugly this install would look with a wired room stat.

Comment

• emmeesse68
                              Automated Home Guru
                              • Dec 2014

https://www.oeg.net/en/remote-sensor-rf-20-211400002

Imagine how ugly this install would look with a wired room stat.
                              I just noticed the price... err... it turns out to be a 20 KOhm NTC plus some plastic box...

Comment

• morpheus
                                Automated Home Sr Member
                                • Apr 2016

so coming back to the solution ... as one of my HR92 is also not communicating as it should with my Evotouch, I can plug a simple USB cable to the HR92 and it should improve the communication ?
                                Someone tried and confirm it saw a difference ?

Many Thanks !

Comment

Working...
                                X