Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Range extender desperately needed.

Automated Home Sr Member

Default Range extender desperately needed.

I have today finally got round to getting the last two bathroom radiators installed. Unfortunately neither of the HR92'S can be seen by the controller.

If I move the controller to a position where it can see these valves, then it loses contact with others the opposite end of the house.

I already have two controllers, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. To add a third just for one particular end of the house is getting silly.

Why on earth do honeywell not provide a simple plug in range extender to solve the problem of being able to use this system without these sorts of issues in larger homes or those with stone walls etc?.

Has anyone found a way of extending the range on the HR92's or upping the sensitivity of the controller?

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I'm nearly there...

Automated Home Sr Member

Oh this would be brilliant. Please please let me be first guinea-pig.

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I'm nearly there...
    We are all ears...

Quote Originally Posted by Cchris View Post
    I have today finally got round to getting the last two bathroom radiators installed. Unfortunately neither of the HR92'S can be seen by the controller.

If I move the controller to a position where it can see these valves, then it loses contact with others the opposite end of the house.

I already have two controllers, one for upstairs and one for downstairs. To add a third just for one particular end of the house is getting silly.

Why on earth do honeywell not provide a simple plug in range extender to solve the problem of being able to use this system without these sorts of issues in larger homes or those with stone walls etc?.

Has anyone found a way of extending the range on the HR92's or upping the sensitivity of the controller?
    Why split the system into upstairs and downstairs? Why can't you have west and east split for instance, with each evohome Controller controlling upstairs and downstairs in each wing?

Automated Home Sr Member

That's one idea we considered, but the boiler controls/wireless points are at one end of the house. So if we split it east and west, then the controller for the East "wing" would not be able to communicate with the boiler.

I've thought about trying to extend the connections for the receivers so that they are positioned in the centre of the house, but the route would mean going up to the loft, across roofs pace and back down. It would be circa 30-40m of cable on each and I'm unsure whether the resistance of the wire would cause any issues. Especially with the hot water sensor. Though that could be left on the West controller to avoid issue.

It would just be a heck of a lot easier if the system had an optional range extender so the system could be used in homes with range issues.

How long before insulation regulations for new build homes stipulate the use of foil backed and insulated plasterboard throughout and render the evohome useless in even modest size properties without a range extender?

Quote Originally Posted by Cchris View Post
    That's one idea we considered, but the boiler controls/wireless points are at one end of the house. So if we split it east and west, then the controller for the East "wing" would not be able to communicate with the boiler.
    Have you tested this with an RF test? If I was doing this installation I would be considering all options including range to the BDR91's. Or as you said, bring the BDR91 a bit closer.

Automated Home Sr Member

No RF test (other than the built in with the controller unit). Though the problem seems to lie with the range of the HR92's which I cant change the location of. A test from controller unit to the affected Zones, shows that the HR92's can see the controller (signal level 2), but the controller either receives poor or no signal from the HR92. Aside from relocating the BDR's to the centre of the house and splitting the house left/right, Ive come to the conclusion that the only other possible solutions are:

1) increase the signal output from the HR92 - how possible this is I dont know. Would involve altering the internal aerial or connecting a small external - though this may improve reception and not transmission

2) increase the sensitivity of the controller - again modifying with additional external aerial

3) await either homebrew or manufacturer release of a range extender.

I'd prefer to be able to keep the house split for upstairs and downstairs as it is just a lot more logical.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

4) move the devices within range :-)

Automated Home Sr Member

Not possible. :-)