Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Range extender desperately needed.

Automated Home Guru

Hi all,

instead of sticking a random length cable into a pseudo-micro-USB socket, I'm looking into adding an actual 868MHz antenna in some more scientific way to increase my HR92 range.

Since the web yields a lot of results for "868MHz antenna", before buying anything or trying to build my homemade one I would like to inspect the interior of my HR92 so to understand what's already in there, what is connected to the "usb" socket and whether there's enough room to try to hide something in the shell.

Did anyone try opening an HR92? Is there a safe way to open the plastic shell without risking to break something?

Thanks for any advice!
    Last edited by emmeesse68; 24th November 2017 at 09:17 PM.

Automated Home Ninja Dan_Robinson's Avatar

They're not too hard to take apart, but there's a lot of gears and whatnot that will be fun to put back together.

Biggest fiddle though is the screen and ribbon cable.
    Kind Regards - Dan Robinson (Jennings Heating Ltd)

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

As for attaching a proper antenna, we first need to work out which of the pins is providing the signal input.

Automated Home Legend

BTW @paulockenden a few of us have already tried just repeating everything the controller and the HR92 says and it works. The duplicate messages are simply ignored by the devices. So an extender is absolutely buildable. We did this on an RFBee so the HGI80 would be even better. To keep the RF chatter down we just repeated the comms between the controller and a single HR92. So all we were doing was making the RFBee act like the HR92 for the controller and the controller for the HR92. Works well but it was a prototype and requires a lot of hardcoding in terms of specific Device IDs etc. Ofcourse needs to be a powered device. The processing needed was just killing the batteries, yup tried that too.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I think DanD mentioned a problem with certain device IDs last time we spoke.

Automated Home Legend

Yes some Devices appear to be more fault tolerant than others. Hence why rather than just repeating everything you repeat just the messages of interest and keep the repeating down to the bare minimum. Very clunky but works.

Automated Home Guru

I know this comment is a bit inflammatory but why is the industry now so obsessed with everything being wireless? Modern houses are being fitted with ethernet cabling as standard and it is very easy to run Cat 5 ethernet cabling around the house. Sockets can be fitted on skirting boards and the cables can be tucked under the edge of carpets in the short term pending the next redecoration of the room when the cabling can be fitted properly. I have just acquired some CCTV cameras which work well using Power over Ethernet (PoE) over a single Cat 5e cable. Is there not a market for Evohome style components that are run by PoE from ethernet cabling? I guess PoE would be powerful enough to supply an HR92 with sufficiently low motor gearing. Having the BDR91s and CS92 (cylinder 'stat) powered by PoE and providing their data by hard wiring would avoid all this silly nonsense of having to space the BDR91s apart and to find good locations for the controller and the CS92 to allow the wireless signals to work consistently. It would also, of course, enable the devices to be designed to send regular update signals, rather than having to use awkward contrived processes to send infrequent updates to preserve battery life. It still bugs me that I have my battery powered wireless thermostats on the wall next to the old cabling that was there for the old thermostats and which could still be used. Some of the Evohome changes for me have been a bit of a backward step. I would feel much more secure with a hard wired system.

Automated Home Legend

I agree. Or atleast provide this option.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I agree. Or atleast provide this option.
    Yes, a good option to have. If I was building, or buying a house being built, I would certainly specify hard wiring to each room. You can still have Wi-Fi but the hard wire connection has many benefits. Plus of course, plenty of mains sockets!

Automated Home Legend

WiFi is fine if the device is powered. RF is best if battery powered. The advantage of PoE is that you don't need a power socket near the end point.