Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Evohome comms faults on well-established install - now we can't bind boiler relay...

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by marionmck View Post
    is it possible that a device could drown the comms when its batteries are dying? We did find we needed to replace the batteries in the hot water CS92 transceiver (although I don't remember seeing a low battery warning in the fault log) - could that actually have been the cause of the wider comms failure?

indeed, if you ignore low battery warnings
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Yes low batteries definitely cause comms failures. I got back from 2 days in Liverpool on Tuesday to see a message on the controller. Checked the log and the battery fault was showing over the last three days. I thought that I would leave it until the next morning and change the batteries then (as I needed to find a small screwdriver for the security screws) but in the morning there was no heating in that room and a comms failure.

These are the shipped batteries (installed August 2014) and my plan was to change them all a couple of months back when they started going but didn't get round to it .

This was totally my fault as I did know this would happen but if you don't happen to see the error on the screen at the time (once they manage to reconnect then this disappears) or check the log regularly then it is a bit of a surprise. What would be good is if a symbol appeared on the controller next to the temp if the batteries are low.

I have had it in the past that the whole system has gone down due to one controller's batteries.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Ah, so YOU'RE the person who actually uses the security screws....

No my INSTALLER used the security screws - they are an absolute pain in the ....... We have a garage full of every tool under the sun and I couldn't find a single one that would undo them - I only succeeded in stripping the head. Anyway I have a husband to do these things . Needless to say I have not put them back in.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    Yes low batteries definitely cause comms failures. I got back from 2 days in Liverpool on Tuesday to see a message on the controller. Checked the log and the battery fault was showing over the last three days. I thought that I would leave it until the next morning and change the batteries then (as I needed to find a small screwdriver for the security screws) but in the morning there was no heating in that room and a comms failure.

These are the shipped batteries (installed August 2014) and my plan was to change them all a couple of months back when they started going but didn't get round to it .

This was totally my fault as I did know this would happen but if you don't happen to see the error on the screen at the time (once they manage to reconnect then this disappears) or check the log regularly then it is a bit of a surprise. What would be good is if a symbol appeared on the controller next to the temp if the batteries are low.

I have had it in the past that the whole system has gone down due to one controller's batteries.
    Better still the app should tell us more and ideally replicate all the control panel does and displays. My batteries have recently begun to go, three TRVs needed replacement batteries last week, all original from December 2014. Others have had to be replaced more frequently. Simply displaying this important info only on the panel most would probably say is inadequate in this day of remote control. We look at our apps more than the control panel. Until recent times I never looked at mine very often, now it is in a different place in my study staring me in the face when I walk in, in case something like battery failure is being announced. But having all the data showing on the app ought to be possible. And whilst mentioning the app, it is time it is fully compatible with the iPad. I get dizzy having to keep turning my iPad round!

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I don't think the API supports battery status, so the App can't display it.

P.