Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lost System Communication?

Automated Home Jr Member

Was anyone experiencing this before Friday the 22nd?
    developer.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. API Evangelist. Views are my own.

Automated Home Jr Member

At this very moment the Total Connect server is down for maintenance. At 08:00 hour this morning the server went down. it is expected tot return before 12.00 hours. See this dutch e-mail message I recieved yesterday:

Onderhoud - Server Total Connect Comfort - op 27/01/16
    De Total Connect Comfort server ondergaat onderhoud op:
    Start: 27/01/16 7:30
    Einde: 27/01/16 12:00
    Tijdens het onderhoud aan de Honeywell server is het niet mogelijk om verbinding te maken met de Total Comfort Connect web login en app, of het maken van API calls (bijvoorbeeld via IFTTT of Pebble).
    Dit onderhoud is bedoeld om een upgrade van het platform uit te voeren en daarmee de continuļteit van de veiligheid van uw gegevens op onze server te garanderen.

It says as much as during maintenance you can not contact the Total Comfort Connect web login amd can not use the app. The API interface is down too.
    The maintenance is performed to upgrade the platform to ensure the stability/continuity of the security of the data on their servers. (or something to that extend)

This of course can not explain why you experienced outage before today. But might it be they are trying to fix some problem with their servers?

Another thing; if you use their API in some script make sure your script uses the new servers. Do no longer use the rs.alarmnet.com server.
    Instead of https://rs.alarmnet.com/TotalConnectComfort/WebAPI/..... use https://tccna.honeywell.com/WebAPI/...
    Read more here: http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...ll=1#post25309
    Evohomeclient temperatures on ThingSpeak: https://thingspeak.com/channels/79213

Automated Home Jr Member

We fixed some things internally yesterday, can anyone that was experiencing the "offline or system lost" emails tell me if they're still getting them as much or at all?
    developer.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. API Evangelist. Views are my own.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by jzwack-honeywell View Post
    Was anyone experiencing this before Friday the 22nd?
    Hi. My records show a couple of messages on 20th May 15 and another on the 13th December 15. With further messages on the 22nd, 23rd and 25th January. The December message was the result of a frozen Evohome Controller following an App instruction to turn the heating to Normal after a few days away.

No further issues since the 25th with my system. I have the original Evohome Controller (Jan 15 replacement) plus gateway.

Automated Home Jr Member

OK, thanks for that.

If anyone else is having continued "lost communication" problems with the EvoHome with a Gateway, I'd love to get more information from you privately for testing internally.

Automated Home Legend

We fixed some things internally yesterday, can anyone that was experiencing the "offline or system lost" emails tell me if they're still getting them as much or at all?
    The last one I saw was at 01/26/2016 03:24:50 UTC.

On a slightly different note, an issue that has been affecting me ever since installed the Evohome system at the beginning of December, is the infamous failed zone change:

"Dear user,

We would like to notify you that your attempt to remotely implement a change to the following zone failed at 01/26/2016 11:15:58 UTC:

Zone: Main Bedroom"

I get this depressingly often, and usually (always ?) when I'm making multiple changes in a row. For example I might try to perform the following steps via the phone app:

* Disable Heating off Mode
    * Enable Day off mode
    * Manually override zone 1
    * Manually override zone 2.

Of those actions, one at random will fail, for example manually overriding zone 1. The iPhone app will give absolutely no indication that anything went wrong, in fact the user interface will "lie" by showing the expected change. Then a few minutes later (because I am in the house) I will notice that one of the adjustments I made mysteriously isn't taking effect - I will go back into the App, pull down to do a forced refresh and see that one of the settings I changed did not in fact change. I will then check my email and sure enough there will be an "Alert: Failed Zone Change" email waiting for me that was sent almost exactly at the same time that I originally attempted to make the change.

There is no problem with the controllers internet connection at the time of the issue, and the commands actioned just a few seconds either side of the failed command were successful. It seems almost as if sending a second command before the first one has been actioned and reported back by the controller causes the following command to immediately fail, whereas if you wait long enough for the controller to report the change as being successful back to the server it doesn't seem to happen. If so this is rather unfortunate when so many changes that I want to make are often a string of changes - for example disabling heating off mode then enabling day off mode.

I was hoping that this issue might go away with the server improvements but it still seems to be there. Any thoughts on what might cause individual actions to "fail" despite actions on either side of it succeeding ?

It happens often enough to me (typically at least once a day) that when I'm away from the house and doing something important such as turning the heating on I don't trust the iPhone app to report the truth - I will wait for about 10 seconds after the last change, then do a forced refresh in the app (swiping down) then check that all the changes I made actually were actioned, and for good measure I will check my emails as well to make sure no failed zone change messages are awaiting me.

This really shouldn't be necessary, and shakes my confidence of the reliability of remote controlling the system.... I know to be paranoid and wait then do a forced refresh in the app to make sure that changes really occurred, but try explaining to your significant other why when she turned the heating on in the app it didn't really go on and the house is cold when she got home...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 27th January 2016 at 11:45 AM.

Automated Home Jr Member

You described you're making the changes in quick succession, like how quickly? And only via the App right, not using the evohome client?

Same API either way, just wondering.

Automated Home Legend

I don't make any changes via the evohome client (API) - only through the iOS App.

And basically as quickly as I can, given that the App has a lot of animation that slows down how quickly you can string together changes.

I suppose I could write a python script to make multiple changes in a row via the API with a short delay to see if I could reproduce the problem more reliably than manually using the iOS App.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

... not using the evohome client?
    Unfortunately we don't get one of those, on this side of the pond.

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

I was referring to the client watchforstock built in this thread:
    http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/vbull...ntrol-remotely

Also @DBMandrake I'm actually fully aware of the issue you're describing. I'm trying to find out exactly what I can/can't say about it. :-)