• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by jzwack-honeywell View Post
    We fixed some things internally yesterday, can anyone that was experiencing the "offline or system lost" emails tell me if they're still getting them as much or at all?
    The last one I saw was at 01/26/2016 03:24:50 UTC.

On a slightly different note, an issue that has been affecting me ever since installed the Evohome system at the beginning of December, is the infamous failed zone change:

"Dear user,

We would like to notify you that your attempt to remotely implement a change to the following zone failed at 01/26/2016 11:15:58 UTC:

Zone: Main Bedroom"

I get this depressingly often, and usually (always ?) when I'm making multiple changes in a row. For example I might try to perform the following steps via the phone app:

* Disable Heating off Mode
    * Enable Day off mode
    * Manually override zone 1
    * Manually override zone 2.

Of those actions, one at random will fail, for example manually overriding zone 1. The iPhone app will give absolutely no indication that anything went wrong, in fact the user interface will "lie" by showing the expected change. Then a few minutes later (because I am in the house) I will notice that one of the adjustments I made mysteriously isn't taking effect - I will go back into the App, pull down to do a forced refresh and see that one of the settings I changed did not in fact change. I will then check my email and sure enough there will be an "Alert: Failed Zone Change" email waiting for me that was sent almost exactly at the same time that I originally attempted to make the change.

There is no problem with the controllers internet connection at the time of the issue, and the commands actioned just a few seconds either side of the failed command were successful. It seems almost as if sending a second command before the first one has been actioned and reported back by the controller causes the following command to immediately fail, whereas if you wait long enough for the controller to report the change as being successful back to the server it doesn't seem to happen. If so this is rather unfortunate when so many changes that I want to make are often a string of changes - for example disabling heating off mode then enabling day off mode.

I was hoping that this issue might go away with the server improvements but it still seems to be there. Any thoughts on what might cause individual actions to "fail" despite actions on either side of it succeeding ?

It happens often enough to me (typically at least once a day) that when I'm away from the house and doing something important such as turning the heating on I don't trust the iPhone app to report the truth - I will wait for about 10 seconds after the last change, then do a forced refresh in the app (swiping down) then check that all the changes I made actually were actioned, and for good measure I will check my emails as well to make sure no failed zone change messages are awaiting me.

This really shouldn't be necessary, and shakes my confidence of the reliability of remote controlling the system.... I know to be paranoid and wait then do a forced refresh in the app to make sure that changes really occurred, but try explaining to your significant other why when she turned the heating on in the app it didn't really go on and the house is cold when she got home...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 27 January 2016, 11:45 AM.

Comment

• jzwack-honeywell
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Jan 2016

You described you're making the changes in quick succession, like how quickly? And only via the App right, not using the evohome client?

Same API either way, just wondering.
      developer.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. API Evangelist. Views are my own.

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

I don't make any changes via the evohome client (API) - only through the iOS App.

And basically as quickly as I can, given that the App has a lot of animation that slows down how quickly you can string together changes.

I suppose I could write a python script to make multiple changes in a row via the API with a short delay to see if I could reproduce the problem more reliably than manually using the iOS App.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

... not using the evohome client?
          Unfortunately we don't get one of those, on this side of the pond.

P.

Comment

• jzwack-honeywell
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Jan 2016

I was referring to the client watchforstock built in this thread:

Also @DBMandrake I'm actually fully aware of the issue you're describing. I'm trying to find out exactly what I can/can't say about it. :-)
            developer.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. API Evangelist. Views are my own.

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

I was referring to the client watchforstock built in this thread:
              Ah, gotcha. My brain is sometimes a bit literal, so when I read 'client' I think... well... client!

P.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

Yes I thought you were referring to that Python API, so I can confirm that while I do use it to poll once every 5 minutes to graph set points and measured temperatures, I do not use the API directly to attempt to make any changes, so the issue I describe is observed with the iPhone App. I have not tested to see whether making similar changes using the Python API would have the same problem but I could test that if you think it might help.

Also @DBMandrake I'm actually fully aware of the issue you're describing. I'm trying to find out exactly what I can/can't say about it. :-)
                Oh, that sounds ominous!

Comment

• jzwack-honeywell
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Jan 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  Yes I thought you were referring to that Python API, so I can confirm that while I do use it to poll once every 5 minutes to graph set points and measured temperatures, I do not use the API directly to attempt to make any changes, so the issue I describe is observed with the iPhone App. I have not tested to see whether making similar changes using the Python API would have the same problem but I could test that if you think it might help.
                  I can confirm I've seen the same type of behavior, it's the same API either way.

Oh, that sounds ominous!
                  Don't ready anything bad into it! My comment was more around the resolution or more explanation around what's happening.

Comment

• Rameses
                    Industry Expert
                    • Nov 2014

All

Just as a steer - evohome polls every 12, 6 or 3 times an hour (depending on setting). Default is 6. We find this is best practice and gives accurate measurement - especially with 'heating/temp'. When you consider it takes 30 mins for a full 0.5c-1 change in many homes.
                    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own

Comment

• HenGus
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • May 2014

Ok - just to add to this thread. My controller reported a loss/restore - low battery - for one of my 12 heating zones. I have changed the batteries in the 3 HR92s and they all cycled correctly, and as far as the controller is concerned, the zone is connected and working with a target temperature of 18C - actual temperature 18.5C.

An hour on, the App is showing the correct actual temperature but an incorrect target temperature of 15C.

Update.

The App stayed on the wrong target temperature until I made a manual target temperature adjustment on the controller. It then updated immediately. Very odd.
                      Last edited by HenGus; 29 January 2016, 03:55 PM. Reason: Addtl info

Comment

• Mavis
                        Automated Home Ninja
                        • Oct 2014

I have also has this, more recently a couple of days ago. The controller shows the correct target and actual temp but the app shows the previous set point temp but the correct temp.

I have just opened the app on my phone to check it as I am typing this and I have an even stranger issue. When I go into the individual room and go to the schedule it is in reverse order! The app shows the set points in this order
                        22.30 10c
                        15.30. 19c
                        12.00. 17c
                        08.30. 17c
                        06.20. 19c
                        00.00. 10c

The temps do correspond with the times.

Comment

• G4RHL
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Mavis View Post
                          I have also has this, more recently a couple of days ago. The controller shows the correct target and actual temp but the app shows the previous set point temp but the correct temp.

I have just opened the app on my phone to check it as I am typing this and I have an even stranger issue. When I go into the individual room and go to the schedule it is in reverse order! The app shows the set points in this order
                          22.30 10c
                          15.30. 19c
                          12.00. 17c
                          08.30. 17c
                          06.20. 19c
                          00.00. 10c

The temps do correspond with the times.
                          I had the same last weekend - reverse order listing. It was after I made some adjustments to start times to allow for optimisation. Google in and out of the app rectified it.

Comment

• G4RHL
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by Rameses View Post
                            All

When you consider it takes 30 mins for a full 0.5c-1 change in many homes.
                            I must be lucky, my lounge this morning took 14 minutes for a 0.5c increase, according to the TRV but in reality a 0.3c increase in the room, 27 minutes for a 1.5c increase (increase in actual room temperature 1.2c), hit set point temperature after 40 mins both at the TRV and in the room. Optimisation though always thinks it takes 60 minutes to achieve this! The room by the way is nothing special, an ordinary lounge, curtains and blinds were not drawn overnight and the start temperature was 16.5c at the TRV and 17.6 in the room. I can get this with most rooms apart from two where it takes longer, I think because the radiators are undersized.

Comment

• HenGus
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • May 2014

Had a loss of communication message at 1210pm today: restored 2 minutes later. May not be connected, but I have a zone that comes on at that time with an optimum start. Looking back, my other reports seemed to be linked to times when a zone target temp was adjusting. May be wrong of course.

Edit

Further brief disconnect (2 min) when the zone switched to Optimum at 1615pm. It's the zone that had the battery changes last week.
                              Last edited by HenGus; 31 January 2016, 06:55 PM.

Comment

• HenGus
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • May 2014

I have had 5 reported loss of communication with the Total Connect server this afternoon. Time outs last from 2 to 32 minutes. The frequency of these disconnects has increased significantly since the last server maintenance period. Is anybody else having issues?

Comment

Working...
                                X