• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Blusox69
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2015

Hardwired 5V USB Power

With more and more devices needing just 5V of power via a USB is there a simple way to provide hardwire power in walls and ceilings? I want to use devices the Google audio Chomecast in various rooms connected to ceiling speakers, and also power sensors like the Aeon Labs Motion sensor that give improved features with power. What I don't want is plug in power adapters with wires running along walls and ceilings, I'd much rather wire these in inside wall and ceiling cavities. Any products out there that do this or has anyone already done it?
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

You'd think it would make sense to have a single centrally located high quality PSU feeding 5V throughout your house. The problem, though, is voltage drop. Across the long runs that wiring a house involves you're going to get a significant voltage drop from the original 5V, even with beefy cables.

I don't like the idea of those double sockets with the built in PSU though. It's like leaving a wall-wart plugged in all the time. Waste of electricity, potential fire hazard, etc. etc.

Comment

• Blusox69
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2015

in my case a lot of my lights are hardwired on as they ae Hue bulbs and controlled wirelessly. I was wondering if I could take a feed of the lighting circuit, although that isn't really best practice. Alternatively taking a direct feed from a main power cable from the floor above to a transformer, but I don't seem able to find a suitable transformer. All my motion sensors are in an area of the house where a single power supply could be used.

Comment

Working...
      X