Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New system for heating control & more (Honeywell, smartthings ?)

Automated Home Jr Member

Yeah I emailed support yesterday too, no response yet. Let me know if you hear back, because it's still broken and I'm reluctant to remove everything and try re-adding at this stage cos I have a lot of 'stuff' set up already which wil be lost.
    Also, Aaron hasn't yet relied on the ST forums either.....

I'm impatient!

Automated Home Jr Member

Mavis - Thankyou re #8.

re #10 I assume this means that its not likely to leave beta all that soon

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smacombe View Post
    Mavis - Thankyou re #8.

re #10 I assume this means that its not likely to leave beta all that soon
    I wouldn't assume that. Actually mine is back up and running after I removed everything and reconnected.Something I was reluctant to do as it's a pain in the A removing all rules and apps before you can delete Evohome, but as support hadn't replied, I thought I had no other option.

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    My advice would be to NOT try to do everything in one HA system. Evohome, for example, is great at heating but won't open your garage door. Other systems have bolt-on TRVs, but they won't provide the same degree of comfort as Evohome. So I'd suggest using best of breed for everything, and then bringing them all together into a single interface using something like Domoticz (or maybe SmartThings and Smarttiles).
    I disagree. You might not think surprising considering who I am, however my comment is based on the suggested premise of throwing in the integration aspect after the hardware. My opinion and experience is that most people underestimate grossly how difficult it is to actually integrate many different functions in a comprehensively automated structure let alone the minutae of different and increasing user requirements when they begin to experience this. I can also understand fully well the other arguement about not putting all your eggs in one basket but its down to how well and how comprehensively you want your automation to work, how far you want to go. If you just want a better than thermostat heating system then I'd say go for a dedicated one like Honeywell's or others of similar ilk. Go for a fully zoned structure because that is often more important than just crudely turning heating down (or worse - off) when everyone is out of the house. Automation is more important than control because after the initial thrill most people will likely not be bothered (nor want) to be continuously on top of the controls. The more you move towards automation and larger scope of this the more you will begin to notice 'mistakes'. Heating systems are very forgiving in this respect but even the likes of Nest have had more than one publically admitted embarassment - and that's just with a single heating controller. If you try and automate lighting (and I mean automate) its a different kettle of fish and so it is for other more dynamic features. Information gathering, singular interfaces, ease of set up of hundreds of interactions and so on, it all begins to add up

Automated Home Jr Member

Is there any news on this ? It still seems to be "Coming soon"

The Evohome system is good regardless. Im pleased.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Smacombe View Post
    Is there any news on this ? It still seems to be "Coming soon"

The Evohome system is good regardless. Im pleased.
    It's currently in beta testing - you may want to head over to the SmartThings Forum for further info. The integration is currently severely lacking in functionality - and pretty useless - let's home they improve it before release. Better still, If you have both systems, request to be added to the Beta.