Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New system for heating control & more (Honeywell, smartthings ?)

Automated Home Jr Member

Default New system for heating control & more (Honeywell, smartthings ?)

I have just moved home and business. Im looking to design a good heating control arrangement with the capability to integrate a broader range of home automation.

We have 2 boilers (both oil) and 20 rads in a bungalow. The two systems will be merged to run on one boiler and Im looking for a smart system I used the conrad system previously but have a pretty clean slate here

Later plans are likely to include door access control, auto gates for business end, security light control, AV integration and maybe more.

I appreciate this is a bit vague , but Im open to ideas !

Currently Honeywell / Samsung is under investigation !

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

My advice would be to NOT try to do everything in one HA system. Evohome, for example, is great at heating but won't open your garage door. Other systems have bolt-on TRVs, but they won't provide the same degree of comfort as Evohome. So I'd suggest using best of breed for everything, and then bringing them all together into a single interface using something like Domoticz (or maybe SmartThings and Smarttiles).

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    My advice would be to NOT try to do everything in one HA system. Evohome, for example, is great at heating but won't open your garage door. Other systems have bolt-on TRVs, but they won't provide the same degree of comfort as Evohome. So I'd suggest using best of breed for everything, and then bringing them all together into a single interface using something like Domoticz (or maybe SmartThings and Smarttiles).
    I concur but am waiting for SmartThings to integrate me.

Automated Home Jr Member

I was perhaps unclear. Thats the reason for smartthings ! Honeywell for heating and then go from there, using smart things like a portal ... like one ring to rule them all )apologies to JRR Tolkein!

Automated Home Jr Member

Well the heating engineer is here and work has commenced.

Automated Home Jr Member

Smartthings will enhance Evohome (it tells you which zones are calling for heat, for starters) and will fill some of the gaps in the current honeywell software/UI

Automated Home Jr Member

Is it yet possible to link the two systems ? I dont seem to see any options, and Id like to start the way I mean to go on.

Quote Originally Posted by Smacombe View Post
    Is it yet possible to link the two systems ? I dont seem to see any options, and Id like to start the way I mean to go on.
    Do you mean Evo and SmartThings? If so then it is still being beta tested (myself an Pbrain are beta testing it.)

Automated Home Jr Member

Mavis, is yours working this eve? I'm getting errors on my ST, and ST control.wont work.

Quote Originally Posted by Pbrain View Post
    Mavis, is yours working this eve? I'm getting errors on my ST, and ST control.wont work.
    No, just spotted when I replied to the above thread that the logs for my thermostats stopped at around 6.30am (all other logs are ok) and the actual temps shown will be from the same time. I have sent them an email just now.