X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chestnut 2000
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2016

Well #rugbyscottie we are a step nearer.

The device is showing in the wireless connected devices & it most definitely wasn't previously after a hard reset of the Sky Hub.

How does one know when the software update is completed or indeed if it is actually updating ?

Perhaps this is done overnight?

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by rugbyscottie View Post
      I logged a call with Honeywell and below is the guidance they gave on how to at least get the controller connected to the router. This has worked for me, no guarantee it will work for you but worth a try.

1. Press Settings
      2. Press Wi-Fi Settings
      3. Let evohome seacrh for wireless networks
      4. Select your network
      5. Enter password of your wireless networ and press green tick
      6. Connecting to screen appears
      7. Could not connect screen appears
      8. Press the home icon top left, DO NOT press the red X button!
      9. Although not showing evohome is connected to our TCC server, in this state it can receive the software update
      10. You can receive a connection restored email from the TCC service
      I can confirm that the solution offered by #rugbyscottie worked for me too, and many thanks to #rugbyscottie for generously sharing this information.

Even though the device apprears not to have associated with the WIFI, following these instructions does make the system work.

Cheers for the assistance - hope this helps others too !

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

9. Although not showing evohome is connected to our TCC server, in this state it can receive the software update
        I am not sure that I understand the last bit of this advice. If your WLAN is protected by security/password, then how does the controller connect to the Honeywell Network if the password isn't accepted? I cannot think of any other piece of wifi equipment that updates unless it is connected to a WLAN or has its own LAN connection.

If the issues are down to a firmware update, then it rather proves the point that there needs to be some form of user intervention in the update process.

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Feb 2016

#HenGus

What happens is that you have entered the correct WIFI password in step 5 & although these are passed to the router, the Evohome indicated that the process has failed.

The key point is to follow step 8 rather than try again.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• rugbyscottie

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
            I am not sure that I understand the last bit of this advice. If your WLAN is protected by security/password, then how does the controller connect to the Honeywell Network if the password isn't accepted? I cannot think of any other piece of wifi equipment that updates unless it is connected to a WLAN or has its own LAN connection.

If the issues are down to a firmware update, then it rather proves the point that there needs to be some form of user intervention in the update process.
            I think the bug is that the controller says (by showing the could not connect screen) that is hasn't connected to the router, when in fact it has. Now that I've followed these steps my controller connected to the TCC server and I have been able to control the heating remotely without any problems since. The software update is going to be pushed out to my controller manually by Honeywell.

Comment

I logged a call with Honeywell and below is the guidance they gave on how to at least get the controller connected to the router. This has worked for me, no guarantee it will work for you but worth a try.

1. Press Settings
              2. Press Wi-Fi Settings
              3. Let evohome seacrh for wireless networks
              4. Select your network
              5. Enter password of your wireless networ and press green tick
              6. Connecting to screen appears
              HI guys, found the forum whilst searching for ways to fix the wifi issue on my controller.

I have had it for less than a month. Installed on a new valliant boiler and works fine when using the controller as the only zone in the house. When I tried to add a H92 valve to one of the bedrooms I messed things up and decided to reset the system to factory settings and start again. Since then I am unable to connect to the wifi at home. It's incredibly frustrating. I have found this set of instructions and got quite excited but in my case it doesn't work.

I see there's even a new update to the controller firmware but obviously I don't have it yet since I'm offline. This is incredibly frustrating for 2 reasons, first I can't setup the 2nd zone with the H92 valve properly and second I can't control it remotely.

For a one zone only device I would have purchased a Nest instead. This has only given me problems since the beginning and it's frustrating me more and more. I mean, it's 2016 and problems connecting to WiFi? Ridiculous.

PS: I have contacted their support which came back asking me for the history of my whole life, things like what iOS version my phone is running or my address. None of which has anything to do with the problem of the controller not talking to the WiFi network. Sorry for the rant.

Comment

• top brake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Feb 2015

Originally posted by guicane View Post
                HI guys, found the forum whilst searching for ways to fix the wifi issue on my controller.

I have had it for less than a month. Installed on a new valliant boiler and works fine when using the controller as the only zone in the house. When I tried to add a H92 valve to one of the bedrooms I messed things up and decided to reset the system to factory settings and start again. Since then I am unable to connect to the wifi at home. It's incredibly frustrating. I have found this set of instructions and got quite excited but in my case it doesn't work.

I see there's even a new update to the controller firmware but obviously I don't have it yet since I'm offline. This is incredibly frustrating for 2 reasons, first I can't setup the 2nd zone with the H92 valve properly and second I can't control it remotely.

For a one zone only device I would have purchased a Nest instead. This has only given me problems since the beginning and it's frustrating me more and more. I mean, it's 2016 and problems connecting to WiFi? Ridiculous.

PS: I have contacted their support which came back asking me for the history of my whole life, things like what iOS version my phone is running or my address. None of which has anything to do with the problem of the controller not talking to the WiFi network. Sorry for the rant.
                Support will be able to resolve this for you if you supply the information requested, thanks.
                I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                  Support will be able to resolve this for you if you supply the information requested, thanks.
                  I really do hope so, it's been a week and I'm still waiting to hear. Very disappointed.

Comment

• Suncroft
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Apr 2015

I had exactly the same problem, 2 weeks worth of email ping pong with 2-3 days delay each time on Honeywell's side. For me to finally reply with me saying I fixed the issue myself by reading this thread. In my opening email to them i even said I think the new firmware upgrade failed on my controller could this be the issue.

I think a bit more training needs to be done on the support side. I love the product otherwise!

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Feb 2016

Your scenario of performing a Factory reset & then not being able to connect using the steps suggested by #rugbyscottie in Post #14 is unusual, I had also done a factory reset and did manage to connect to the WI-FI albeit with the connection failed message which is seemingly the core of this software bug.

I realise you will have checked this already but please be absolutely sure that when you enter your WI-FI password its entered correctly including the upper or lower case being right as the message you will get for a wrongly entered password is exactly the same as for the correctly entered one, the infamous cannot connect screen.

Step 8 is most important you must not press anything other than the Home icon after the failure message.

Comment

Cheers for the reply.

I have followed the instructions closely , it's been at least a couple of weeks since I reported this to support and they asked one more number from the controller beginning of this week but that was the last I heard from them.

I'm not sure what the problem is and I don't feel they're making an effort to solve the issue. Right now I don't have remote control of the thermostat which is the whole point I bought this smart one. Right now it's no different from my old dumb one which is very frustrating after spending over £200 on this.

Seriously considering putting it on eBay after the problem is solved (if it ever does get solved).

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

Have you considered that the problem might be with your Wifi router or that you might be getting some interference ?

What wifi router are you using, and what channel is it set to ? Have you tried rebooting your wifi router or choosing another channel ? Do you have close neighbours and/or see a lot of wifi networks if you scan on a laptop ? Have you run a program such as Inssider to see what channels are most used ?

A lot of wifi routers these days (such as our Superhub 2) are dual band, and most devices will connect on the 5Ghz band - which is generally clear of interference from neighbours and other devices.

However the wifi in the Evohome wifi controller is 2.4Ghz 11n only - which means if you are experiencing interference on 2.4Ghz it may affect the Evohome without necessarily affecting other devices that are probably connecting on 5Ghz.

Although I have had zero problems with the wifi connection on my Evohome controller I had recently noticed that I was getting extremely poor performance on 2.4Ghz to devices like iPhone's/iPads which were getting perfect connections when they connected to the 5Ghz SSID. After experimenting with other channels on the 2.4Ghz band I was able to resolve the problem.

(And we are in a fully detached house on a corner with no very close neighbours and only 2 other wireless networks visible from within he house)

I think it's also been mentioned on here that the Evohome controller doesn't appear to be able to use channels 12 or 13 even though they are valid in the UK. (But not valid in the US) so make sure your wifi router is not set to channel 12 or 13.

And while on the subject of channels, the default setting for many wifi routers is "auto", which means it will scan at boot time for a "clear" channel and select one automatically. This means that a reboot of the wifi router may at random cause the channel to change, which can cause a previously reliable working connection to become unreliable without any apparent change made by the user. I'd strongly recommend manually choosing a channel that performs well rather than leaving it on Auto.

Hope that helps.
                          Last edited by DBMandrake; 27 February 2016, 12:29 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                            Have you considered that the problem might be with your Wifi router or that you might be getting some interference ?

What wifi router are you using, and what channel is it set to ? Have you tried rebooting your wifi router or choosing another channel ? Do you have close neighbours and/or see a lot of wifi networks if you scan on a laptop ? Have you run a program such as Inssider to see what channels are most used ?

A lot of wifi routers these days (such as our Superhub 2) are dual band, and most devices will connect on the 5Ghz band - which is generally clear of interference from neighbours and other devices.

However the wifi in the Evohome wifi controller is 2.4Ghz 11n only - which means if you are experiencing interference on 2.4Ghz it may affect the Evohome without necessarily affecting other devices that are probably connecting on 5Ghz.

Although I have had zero problems with the wifi connection on my Evohome controller I had recently noticed that I was getting extremely poor performance on 2.4Ghz to devices like iPhone's/iPads which were getting perfect connections when they connected to the 5Ghz SSID. After experimenting with other channels on the 2.4Ghz band I was able to resolve the problem.

(And we are in a fully detached house on a corner with no very close neighbours and only 2 other wireless networks visible from within he house)

I think it's also been mentioned on here that the Evohome controller doesn't appear to be able to use channels 12 or 13 even though they are valid in the UK. (But not valid in the US) so make sure your wifi router is not set to channel 12 or 13.

And while on the subject of channels, the default setting for many wifi routers is "auto", which means it will scan at boot time for a "clear" channel and select one automatically. This means that a reboot of the wifi router may at random cause the channel to change, which can cause a previously reliable working connection to become unreliable without any apparent change made by the user. I'd strongly recommend manually choosing a channel that performs well rather than leaving it on Auto.

Hope that helps.
                            Hey, thanks for your input.

I remember receiving the unit and powering it on even before the boiler relay was installed. Switched it on and first thing to do was connect to the WiFi (2.4GHz) and setup the app on the phone. Never had an issue. Worked first thing. Then a few days later the factory reset and bang, could never connect again. Controller in the same place it was before when it was working and it sits approximately 5m from the router in clear view so that's not the issue.

I do IT and networking for a living and have gone through all the obvious stuff on the SuperHub 2 I have and I fail to understand the issue, I have even changed DHCP server from my domain controller back to the superhub to see if that would fix the issue but to no avail.

It's been weeks and Honeywell have still not even suggested one thing, this forum has been a lot more helpful in a way than Honeywell themselves.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Sep 2014

Does it fail to associate with the AP at all ? If so you'd really need a promiscuous mode adaptor for a listening device to sniff the traffic to see what was going on...

As a quick test have you tried connecting to another AP such as the Hotspot on a Mobile phone ?

Also what versions of Application software and Wifi software does your device have ? I was told when my was updated ahead of schedule that the upgrade process is a two part process - first they update one of them, (don't know which is updated first as I wasn't home at the time of the update) let the device reboot, wait an hour then update the second part. Perhaps a problem has caused only one of the software components on yours to be updated.

Hold down for 20 seconds on device settings to find the versions.
                              Last edited by DBMandrake; 27 February 2016, 08:26 AM.

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
                                Automated Home Jr Member
                                • Feb 2016

Hey, thanks for your input.

I remember receiving the unit and powering it on even before the boiler relay was installed. Switched it on and first thing to do was connect to the WiFi (2.4GHz) and setup the app on the phone. Never had an issue. Worked first thing. Then a few days later the factory reset and bang, could never connect again. Controller in the same place it was before when it was working and it sits approximately 5m from the router in clear view so that's not the issue.

I do IT and networking for a living and have gone through all the obvious stuff on the SuperHub 2 I have and I fail to understand the issue, I have even changed DHCP server from my domain controller back to the superhub to see if that would fix the issue but to no avail.

It's been weeks and Honeywell have still not even suggested one thing, this forum has been a lot more helpful in a way than Honeywell themselves.
                                Finally I noticed my software had updated from

Application Software Version: 01.00.01.00
                                Wifi Software Version: 01.00.02.00

to

Application Software Version: 01.00.02.01
                                Wifi Software Version: 01.00.02.00

To display your current SW Press settings & then hold the Device Settings button until the Software Version is displayed (it takes about 15 seconds)

Although I had established Wireless connection using the #rugbyscotie workaround I decided to try the new software registration and it worked perfectly 1st time.

#guicane, unless Honeywell can get you connected to the internet I fail to see how they are going to be able to update your device remotely.

I have one other suggestion, as I suspect this is what I did eventually.

1) Log into your Total Comfort Account & remove the associated Evohome
                                2) Perform a Factory reset on the device
                                3) follow the steps in Post #14 by rugbyscotie
                                4) re-register your device on your Total Comfort Account

If that does not work I think they will need your device back

Comment

Working...
                                X