• Sep 2014

Originally posted by Chestnut 2000 View Post
    Finally I noticed my software had updated from

Application Software Version: 01.00.01.00
    Wifi Software Version: 01.00.02.00

to

Application Software Version: 01.00.02.01
    Wifi Software Version: 01.00.02.00
    That's interesting - your Wifi software version had updated but your Application Software version was stuck on the old version. As per my previous post I was told that the update to each software version is done separately, and that they allow an hour between the two updates. (Not sure why) I was not told in what order the updates were done.

It seems as if the old Application software is not able to initiate (through the user interface) a new wifi connection using the new wifi software version, although it may be able to maintain an existing configured wifi connection. So in the unlikely event that you lose your wireless connection between the two updates and it can't auto-connect to allow the second update to be done, you end up stuck in limbo.

The workaround reported earlier must be allowing the wifi to get connected (even though the UI says it failed) for long enough for the Application software update to commence. EG once it connects like this you'd need to leave the wifi settings alone long enough for an automatic update to commence and complete...

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      That's interesting - your Wifi software version had updated but your Application Software version was stuck on the old version. As per my previous post I was told that the update to each software version is done separately, and that they allow an hour between the two updates. (Not sure why) I was not told in what order the updates were done.

It seems as if the old Application software is not able to initiate (through the user interface) a new wifi connection using the new wifi software version, although it may be able to maintain an existing configured wifi connection. So in the unlikely event that you lose your wireless connection between the two updates and it can't auto-connect to allow the second update to be done, you end up stuck in limbo.

The workaround reported earlier must be allowing the wifi to get connected (even though the UI says it failed) for long enough for the Application software update to commence. EG once it connects like this you'd need to leave the wifi settings alone long enough for an automatic update to commence and complete...
      I must add that it was something I'd reported to Honeywell support, and the were playing information ping pong for a week or two before they finally 'escalated' the problem to the technical team. I suspect that they are not routinely updating SW in the background.

Comment

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        Does it fail to associate with the AP at all ? If so you'd really need a promiscuous mode adaptor for a listening device to sniff the traffic to see what was going on...

As a quick test have you tried connecting to another AP such as the Hotspot on a Mobile phone ?

Also what versions of Application software and Wifi software does your device have ? I was told when my was updated ahead of schedule that the upgrade process is a two part process - first they update one of them, (don't know which is updated first as I wasn't home at the time of the update) let the device reboot, wait an hour then update the second part. Perhaps a problem has caused only one of the software components on yours to be updated.

Hold down for 20 seconds on device settings to find the versions.

Yes, nothing happens on DHCP and no traffic is generated anyway.

I have tried connecting to the hotspot on my iPhone and same thing, no difference.

About the versions:
        WiFi Software Version: 01.00.02.00
        Picture

I understand those aren't the latest versions.

If the issue was that it isn't updated properly and that caused it to break why is Honeywell taking so long in getting back to me on this? Surely they should have a fix for this by now as I seem to not be the only one affected?

I don't know what else to do.
        Last edited by Guest; 27 February 2016, 09:01 PM. Reason: add photo link

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by guicane View Post
          About the versions:
          That is the latest updated version of the Wifi software however you are still on the original Application Software version. So it appears that like Chestnut your unit has only partially completed the update process.
          Could well require an RMA because unless it can be tricked into connecting to the Wifi somehow (as other posters have succeeded in doing) for long enough to finish the update I can't see any way to update it when there is no way to side load the firmware.

The older colour controller had a USB port that could theoretically side load firmware updates, although no such update was ever made available, however the wifi model has no external USB port so it could well require a unit swap.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
            Site Sponsor
            • Dec 2014

Yes, nothing happens on DHCP and no traffic is generated anyway.

I have tried connecting to the hotspot on my iPhone and same thing, no difference.

About the versions:
            Picture

I understand those aren't the latest versions.

If the issue was that it isn't updated properly and that caused it to break why is Honeywell taking so long in getting back to me on this? Surely they should have a fix for this by now as I seem to not be the only one affected?

Have you followed the instructions on page 2 of this thread? Seems to have worked for another user ok - http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ll=1#post25847

Try and make sure your router is under channel 11, just some feedback I had from another customer.
            Last edited by The EVOHOME Shop; 28 February 2016, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all your suggestions. When I try the instructions given by the user on the beginning of this thread I even get the email saying it's now connected again but another email follows 15 minutes after saying it's disconnected.

Screenshot 2016-02-29 21.12.37.jpg

Thanks for the Channel change suggestion Evohome, I may try that. HoneyWell support does not seem to care at all but I'm kinda hoping they will eventually replace it.

Another issue I have is whenever I take it out of the charging station, if I place it down on a flat surface the controller restarts. Surely that shouldn't happen?

Comment

• HenGus
                Automated Home Legend
                • May 2014

Another issue I have is whenever I take it out of the charging station, if I place it down on a flat surface the controller restarts. Surely that shouldn't happen?
                Check that your controller batteries are not loose. Any slight loss of contact will generate a re-set.

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Feb 2016

Thanks for all your suggestions. When I try the instructions given by the user on the beginning of this thread I even get the email saying it's now connected again but another email follows 15 minutes after saying it's disconnected.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]682[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the Channel change suggestion Evohome, I may try that. HoneyWell support does not seem to care at all but I'm kinda hoping they will eventually replace it.

You are in a much better place now that you've received the email saying your device was re-connected, out of interest I wonder what you did differently to get the WiFi to connect having had such difficulty ?

Mine did a bit of this connected - reconnected messaging initially, I suspect it may even attempt to sideload the latest Application Software if you leave it this way for a while. There should be no need to do any re-pairing of the Evohome to your Router, even if you do change the WiFi channel to be below 11.

Have a good look in your SPAM or deleted email boxes for anything from consumersupportuk@honeywell.com as this is the email address they use to get in touch.
                  Last edited by Chestnut 2000; 1 March 2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

• HenGus
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • May 2014

Most modern routers operating in the UK will automatically choose Channels 1, 6 or 11 in the 2.4GHz Band based on detected sources of co-channel or external interference (such as street lights) . My router is currently using Channel 6 with adjacent networks using Channels 1 and 11. When I checked last week, it was using Channel 1. Manually changing the wireless LAN channel might temporarily give you better wifi connectivity.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                      Site Sponsor
                      • Dec 2014

Put it on the powered charge dock and remove the batteries (do not remove from dock while taking batteries out). Wait for battery symbol to change to the 'no battery' symbol (battery with a cross through it) and then re-insert the batteries in the reverse order you removed them. The battery symbol will change to a 'charging battery' symbol and then let the batteries charge until the battery symbol goes out completely (which may take a few hours). Batteries will now be fully charged and evohome should last 4-6 hours off the dock or wall plate.

Comment

• rotor
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Aug 2015

This might be a slight fault of an early manufacturing run. I had mine replaced because of this issue, and the replacement doesn't have this problem.

I have to add that removing the batteries from the controller is an unbelievably frustrating process. Very poorly designed.

Comment

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
                          Put it on the powered charge dock and remove the batteries (do not remove from dock while taking batteries out). Wait for battery symbol to change to the 'no battery' symbol (battery with a cross through it) and then re-insert the batteries in the reverse order you removed them. The battery symbol will change to a 'charging battery' symbol and then let the batteries charge until the battery symbol goes out completely (which may take a few hours). Batteries will now be fully charged and evohome should last 4-6 hours off the dock or wall plate.
                          4-6h?!?!?! I'd be lucky if mine last 1h!!!

They emailed yesterday suggesting those instructions posted here about hitting the home button. The reply to them was that it doesn't work and I need this fixed ASAP.

And yes, removing the batteries on this thing is incredibly frustrating.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Sep 2014

4-6 hours before the battery drops dead and your heating system stops working.... Not 4-6 hours before it starts beeping.

I tested mine the other day to see how long the batteries would last and I did get about 6 hours, however after about 1 hour (didn't time it exactly) it starts a subtle periodic "beep" to warn you that it's off the charger, after about 2-3 hours it comes up with with a big "please replace the device on the dock" warning message that fills the screen - a message that cannot be dismissed (other than by putting it on the dock) which prevents you from accessing the user interface, and around this time it also disconnects from the wifi presumably to extend the remaining battery power for as long as possible. (Bizarrely it does not blank the screen back-light, which would save far more power than turning off the wifi - the fact that there is no auto-off for the back-light on battery power baffles me)

In this state you can't control the device via the phone apps or the touch screen (you can't dismiss the message until you put it back on the dock) however it will still function normally in other regards such as scheduling, boiler control and so on, and you can still adjust HR92's directly. Finally after about 6 hours it died completely - soon after this your heating will go off and no longer function as HR92's cannot call for heat as they call for heat via the controller not directly to the boiler relay.

In this condition (if the controller was broken, say) you could press the button on the boiler relay to manually bring the boiler on (or use the boilers constant switch if it has one) and the HR92's will work to maintain their currently set local temperatures (still manually adjustable) but without any programmed schedule. HR92's that are in zones bound to remote temperature sensors like a DTS92 seem to revert to using their own internal sensor after about an hour of not getting any temperature reading updates from the controller.

So the battery life until it actually dies and your heating stops working is much longer than the impression you get from the very early warning beeps.
                            Last edited by DBMandrake; 2 March 2016, 03:58 PM.

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Feb 2016

They emailed yesterday suggesting those instructions posted here about hitting the home button. The reply to them was that it doesn't work and I need this fixed ASAP.

And yes, removing the batteries on this thing is incredibly frustrating.
                              Just interested to know if you got anywhere with the WIFI connectivity issue guicane ?

Comment

• bjb
                                Automated Home Lurker
                                • Oct 2016

Just wanted to add to this thread that I couldn't get the Evohome controller to even see my wifi when it was on channel 12, but moving the wifi to channel 11 brought it all back working again.

This may be because the USA only allows up to channel 11, and there doesn't seem to be a way to configure the Evohome to know it's in Europe. It was frustrating until I figured it out.

Comment

Working...
                                X