Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Hot Water Differential setting

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

The +/- aspect of the differential is interesting. I find my system uses the minus part, but never goes over the set point. So +/- 5 degrees doesn't actually give a 10 degree band, as you'd expect. The water temp is maintained within 5 degrees.

Automated Home Guru

My understanding was that if it was set to 60C with a 10C differential, then it would maintain 50-60C. ie. it is a lower threshold setting and not a +/- setting. And in practice, this is what I see in my hot water based upon using these settings.

Automated Home Guru

I'd also like to point out that the actual water temperature is probably a lot hotter than what the sensor is telling you. My Evohome says that my hot water is at 52, but if I measure the temperature of the hot water coming out of the tap, it is ~61 degrees. I am using the insertion probe, but there is no thermal paste in the cavity, so I'm guessing the tip of the probe isn't fully in contact with the metal, hence not getting an accurate reading.

The reason I want to point this out, is that based on my readings of this forum, I was planning to increase the Evohome setting to 60, but fortunately I didn't, as I would've been heating the water to 70+ degrees!

As an aside, I am also using a 7 degree differential. 10 was definitely too much, and 5 seems too little. Heating the hot water competes with heating the house, which I'm guessing is why Honeywell chose 10 as the default, to stop having to continually top up the hot water.

Automated Home Sr Member

Agree with paulockenden and roydonaldosn, that's how mine appears to be working - turns off at 60C and triggers back on temp lower than 55C.

Interesting fact (I just learned)

@ 20c - legionella survive but dormant
    @ 35-46c - legionella Perfect growth conditions
    @ 50-54c - legionella lives but cannot multiply
    @ 55c legionella dies within 5-6 hours
    @ 60c legionella dies within 32 mins
    @ 65c Legionella dies within 2 mins
    getconnected.honeywell.com | I work for Honeywell. Any posts I make are purely to help if I can. Any personal views expressed are my own