Thread: Memo bulbs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Default Memo bulbs

I noticed that my local garden centre is flogging off Memo bulbs for £7.50 each - quite a bargain.

And they work directly with SmartThings (via Zigbee).

However.... Does anyone else agree with me that with lighting, the bulb is the WRONG place to have the control. It needs to be in the switch/dimmer.

If you have control in the bulb, it's possible to switch the light off at the switch, but then there's no way to switch it back on using automation.

So maybe I shouldn't stock up on these cheap bulbs after all....

P.

Automated Home Legend

The Phillips Hue bulbs work similarly. Put the light switch in the off position and all is dead. I had already installed LightwaveRF plug ins for some table lights so can switch them off remotely and this is not a problem. However, the Phillips Hue bulbs are not happy with the LightwaveRF light switch so cannot do the same there.

Just noticed a typo in the thread title - I meant of course "Wemo" bulbs. The Belkin things.

Don't seem to be able to change it - perhaps an admin could oblige?

P.

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I noticed that my local garden centre is flogging off Memo bulbs for £7.50 each - quite a bargain.

And they work directly with SmartThings (via Zigbee).

However.... Does anyone else agree with me that with lighting, the bulb is the WRONG place to have the control. It needs to be in the switch/dimmer.

If you have control in the bulb, it's possible to switch the light off at the switch, but then there's no way to switch it back on using automation.

So maybe I shouldn't stock up on these cheap bulbs after all....

P.
    needs to be in the bulb to change colour, the switch is not an intelligent control just on/off
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Quote Originally Posted by top brake View Post
    needs to be in the bulb to change colour, the switch is not an intelligent control just on/off
    And dimmer, but yes, I take your point.

I wonder how many people DO change the colour of their lighting, though? Apart from initially.

P.

Yes I think it is just novelty factor. I have just bought Hue and the default setting is fine for when they first switch on and is bright enough without being too harsh and I then have a 'My Evening' scene set which is essentially just a slightly warmer,dimmed down colour.

Saying that I have one bulb set up to be a 'weather lamp' courtesy of a SmartThings App, combined with the motion sensor it briefly displays a different colour depenending on the forecast - it is currently doing a lot of yellow flashing

Automated Home Legend top brake's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    And dimmer, but yes, I take your point.

I wonder how many people DO change the colour of their lighting, though? Apart from initially.

P.
    yes according to mood
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Well, if anyone wants some they are currently £7.50 in the Brighton branch of Wyvale. They had both ES and BC versions. I suspect they'll have been remaindered in other branches too.

Automated Home Legend

Shades of white are useful, lots of colours not so much but in a dedicated light such as the Hue Go a nice touch. The problem with many white LEDs is warm white is not warm white but rather harsh. The colour changing ones can give you a softer light.