• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pbrain
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2016

Zone without HR92

Hi, new Evohome user here. I'm a geek for tech, but not a plumber...this may reflect in this post!

I have an evotouch controlling 5 zones that use HR92s on each rad.

I have a room with multiple radiators in which are not included in the setup (not specified as a zone, no HR92s). I'm reluctant to get HR92s for this room because of the expense. It's not a 'habitable' room, and it's one of the coldest in the house.

So at the moment those rads always come on when another zone calls for heat and fires up the boiler.

This is fine because the room never gets too hot.

Downside is this room won't heat up when it's the only room that requires heat. (i.e, when none of the other zones are calling for heat)

As a workaround, can I just set up another zone for this room on the evotouch and use a DTS92 room stat in this room (bound to the evotouch) to call for heat - but without using HR92s on the rads?

When this is the only room that needs heat, the boiler will fire up, the room will heat, and the boiler will turn off when desired temperature has been reached.

If other rooms need heat, this room may continue to be heated beyond the desired temperature - but as I said, this is unlikely to be a problem.

Would this work?

Thanks.
  • Pbrain
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2016

I'll answer my own question as I've just realised.

No I can't do this because to add a new zone to the evotouch requires assigning a HR92

What I can do however is just have a HR92 on ONE of the rads...I guess.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Correct, you can't have a zone with just a thermostat and no actuators, except in single zone mode.

I assume the three radiators currently have manual TRV's fitted ? Adding an HR92 to one of the radiators would as you say at least allow the room to call for heat when it's too cold, however it would not prevent the other two radiators running when the room is up to temperature and other zones are calling for heat. It would be an improvement to your situation but still not ideal.

Comment

• Pbrain
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Feb 2016

Thanks for the reply. Yes that's right, they have manual trv's. I will replace one with a hr92, that'll do for starters, see how I get on.

Comment

Working...
        X