• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr_Freeze
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2015

Info on hot water temp sensor.

Hi guys,

I currently have the probe sensor mounted into a blind outlet plug on my megaflow.
    This is on the 2nd floor (top floor of 3 storey) and constantly keeps going off line.
    It is the furthest away from my controller and is by default near a huge tank, so no surprises I guess.

Anyway I want to move the temp box closer to the controller so I'm considering 2 choices:-
    1. Joint a cable to the existing probe cable and reposition another metre closer.
    2. Use the tank mounted sensor and make up my own cable that simply crimps on to again give me extra distance.

Question is how do the sensors work, I assume resistive, but if so in what range?
    Will extending the cable 1-2m longer have an affect on the accuracy of the reading?

Neil
    My existing set up in full.
  • The EVOHOME Shop
    Site Sponsor
    • Dec 2014

Extending the CS92's sensor cable (it is resistive 10 or 20K, but can't remember right now) is a better option than an RF device being right next to the stainless steel tank. Adding a meter of cable will not make any noticeable difference to the reading IMHO.

Comment

• SensibleHeatUK
      • Feb 2009

The thermistor is a 10k3a1 element so extending the cable (ideally with a twisted pair UTP cable) will not be a problem. In commercial buildings these types of sensor can be many 10s of metres from their controller (and in some cases over 100m or more) without causing any significant issues. When you look at the resistance table for these sensors you will see there is a large resistance change for each degree in temperature so a few metres of cable will not add anything significant to the measured value.
      Sensible Heat
      SensibleHeat.co.uk

Comment

• Mr_Freeze
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Dec 2015

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
        X