Thread: Can't save bulb additions in SmartThings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Legend

Default Can't save bulb additions in SmartThings

Help! My SmartThings app has stopped letting me save bulbs being added in. Have had no problem until recently. A couple of weeks ago I added the Philips Gue Go; no problem all was accepted and works. A few days ago I tried to add the Philips Hue Beyond light. The app saw it as two, which it should as there is an up and a down, but when I went to save it I got the message "Failed to save page: bulbDiscovery".

Philips's own Hue app and other Hue apps see it and operate it with no problem.

I have deleted the SmartThings app and reinstalled. It made no difference.

I then deleted all reference to both the Hue Go and Hue Beyond everywhere so that they don't exist. I then tried to add back first the Hue Go in the SmartThings app and got the same message. The app was happy with it before so assume it cannot be compatibility with the Go. Even if I tell the app to ignore the Go and Beyond lights and just select an existing Hue bulb it won't save but gives me the same message.

I have been in touch with support but they cannot help. There appears to be something defective in the app.

Anybody any ideas?

Automated Home Legend

Have had a message back from SmartThings UK to say there is a known issue with Philips Hue they are trying to resolve.

Interesting. I have just bought a white bulb and dimmer switch set and and got the bulb installed in SmartThings no problem. I had more problems getting it installed within the Hue app as it couldn't find it and I had to add it manually.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Mavis View Post
    Interesting. I have just bought a white bulb and dimmer switch set and and got the bulb installed in SmartThings no problem. I had more problems getting it installed within the Hue app as it couldn't find it and I had to add it manually.
    I think, but not sure the main issue is with the Hue Go and Hue Beyond but SmartThings have advised me there is an issue generally in registering Phillips stuff, it sometimes happens, sometimes does not. Have been advised not to delete the Hue Hub from SmartThings as I may not be able to add it back again. This is what happened when I deleted the Go, I can't get it back in again. They are working on the issue.

Automated Home Legend

Update.

I have a couple of Philips Hue White bulbs that had not been added to the system. I added one via the Philips Hue app. No problems. I then went to the SmartThings app, checked SmartApps and let it search, it saw the new one but then had picked up the fact there was a new one before I got there. Pressed “done” and got the same message, it would not save.

I then took the other Philips Hue white bulb and instead of adding it via the Philips app I used SmartApps in SmartThings. It saw the bulb, I pressed “done” and this time it saved. Not only that it also now saved the Philips Beyond and Philips Go lights so they appear in the system.

I then tried another white bulb which had been paired before and deleted all reference to it. I went to the Hue app to install it, had to put in its serial number but it paired. I went back to the SmartThings app and tried to enter it the usual way but it would not save. I then exited both apps and went back in again, went straight to the SmartThings app, went to SmartApps and pressed “done” and it saved. I have tried it again and now it won’t save. However, I now have all relevant bulbs registered and controlled by the SmartThings app.

The issue in the app presumably therefore relates to how it perceives new devices. Better perhaps not to add them at first in the Philips app but in SmartThings. SmartThings clearly picks up data in advance from the Hue bridge for it lists devices not yet added. Perhaps that is where the conflict is, it thinks they are there already because it speaks to the Hue app and/or bridge behind the scenes in advance.

Automated Home Legend

I raised this issue some months back. I still find I cannot add Philips Hue lights into SmartThings. When I try it mostly does not see the Hue Bridge and if it does, whilst it sees all bulbs installed it will not save but I get a message saying it can't. Strange that after so long SmartThings have done nothing about this. Yet Honeywell's Evohome which can now integrate with SmartThings works well. Indeed in some respects better than Honeywell's freestanding app.

Other than deleting everything and starting all over again, which I think I have to try now, has anybody any suggestions? SmartThings support are not much help.