Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Evohome woes

Automated Home Jr Member

Mine has been in for two months, can't see this being 'learnt out'.

Automated Home Legend

I have had optimisation running now for 7 weeks. It comes on too soon and goes off too soon. It just has not learned anything other than to come on an hour early and go off an hour early.

Automated Home Jr Member

That's my experience with my last 'smart thermoatat' too. I don't think they're as smart as they're made out to be. I guess as long as it's keeping you comfortable.....just don't think too much about the marketing hype.

Automated Home Sr Member

If I could add my two 'penneth and ask users a question.

How many users run their system with "Optimisation" turned on as against relying on the scheduled temperature setpoints with anticipated warm-up times for each zone?

I have run my system for 4 months (entirely without optimisation) - using pre-empted on/off time and temperature settings and anticipating warm up periods. [Off in my case being a fall-back temperature of 10C which works in all but arctic conditions].

I have created the majority of zones with all 6 setpoints which then allows me to over-ride setpoints temporarily without disturbing much in the way of default settings. So some time setpoints simply repeat an earlier setpoint temperature but allows a deviation without much hassle.

I use the Android app on my mobile all the times and rarely go to the controller.

Am I mad or are other users doing likewise.

Ian K.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I know that when I first had Evohome installed I was too concerned with numbers. On and off times, temperatures, and boiler firing cycles. I almost became obsessed.

But then one day I sat down and realised that whatever the numbers, my house felt MUCH more comfortable than it did pre-Evohome, and I think that's really the key to the whole thing.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by killa47 View Post

Am I mad or are other users doing likewise.

Ian K.
    Far from mad but sane! I have left optimisation running but not convinced. Certainly not Optimisation On for if you want your house to be a certain temperature at 07:00 then you set the time for that to occur. In my case it would be about 20 minutes before the set time, optimisation starts nearly 60 minutes before. Optimisation Off though makes some sense but I have found rooms get cold quickly and you end up putting the heat back on. I don't mind the, cooling down 20 or 15 minutes before off time but 60 minutes before is too much.

Yes we all play and look at the numbers at first but then realise that it is best left alone, we find the temperature that is comfortable and make minor adjustments only when needed. The at TRV temperature we soon learn is often not realistic but we fine tune to overcome that.

We are told 2014 was a warmer year than 2015 with the latter being overall an average year. On this basis my gas comsumption in 2015 should have been more than in 2014 but it was a chunk less and indeed in 2014 I was way for 6 weeks in the late Autumn. What have I done that may have contributed to that? Installed Evohome in December 2014!

Automated Home Sr Member

Great feedback Paul and G4RHL.

When I set the initial time and temp settings in October, the autumn weather supported my projected setpoints.

But we then had 3 weeks away in December and upon returning the wintry weather cycle had begun and I had to change my settings mainly for temperature.

My wife thinks I am nuts because she sees me constantly changing settings but I am still correcting the settings for the new lower external temps in Jan/Feb.

So I believe the system will eventually work on a summer and winter schedule - hence I created a MS excel spreadsheet to keep the memo of settings (posted for users benefit elsewhere).

As some users have suggested, the ability for the controller to hold an alternative schedule of settings would be nice.

So I have not quite gone insane !!

Automated Home Sr Member

API can give state as Heat or Off - it always gives Off.

You can indeed work on the assumption from other data that the current HR92 temp is N, the scheduled temp is T (if, of course, the current time is within the scheduled time period) so it's basic comparison to ASSUME the valve is open or closed. So Smartthing is reporting an assumption not a fact.

That is not the same as the valve reporting what it is doing, and for fault finding etc that is absolutely what you need.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

There MUST be something in the API that gives zone state, because SmartThings (which is a cloud to cloud integration) shows it.

P.

Automated Home Guru

Just a response to killa47's initial query. I've run the system with optimisation on and off both enabled since installation and it's worked fine for me with the radiators coming on up to 70 or 80 minutes early in winter and with virtually no early start in summer.

The only occasions when it goes awry are when there's a big change in outside temperature which seems to initially catch it out. Note however that if, when using optimisation for off, the system will call for heat again if it drops below 0.5C from what's set.

Regarding the rogue firing problem that's sometimes reported, I initially had this and I believe that it was down to a two radiator zone where I'd swapped which HR92 was the master. Although the zone appeared to work OK, a suggestion in another post made me wonder if that was the cause of the problem and after deleting the zone and re-creating, the rogue firing went away.