• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rowan.bradley
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2015

Cheap electronic TRV

Hi,

I am looking for a cheap electrically operated radiator value, which I can connect via some sort of wireless or wired network connection to an intelligent controller (running on a PC or a separate unit). I do not require the radiator value to contain a thermal sensor, since just next to the radiator seems about the most ineffective place to put a temperature sensor. So I will have the sensor positioned elsewhere in the room. I can buy a bluetooth TRV controller with sensor and scheduler for £15, so it seems to me that it must (or should) be possible to buy what I want for less than this. Do you know of such a dumb device (just a battery powered remotely controlled valve actuator)?

If it doesn't exist, then we ought to persuade someone to make it...

Thanks - Rowan
  • MichaelD
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2006

No replies, it could be that most people are paying over £50 for very robust electrically operated valves, so asking for one that is less than £15 seems a bit unrealistic. How long would something so cheap survive in a home? My Evohome / CM-Zone valves are now 7 years old, 3 out of 15 have failed after all these years, which is OK for me, considering that they are opening and closing valves many times per day for most of the year.

You shouldn't rule out radiator valves with thermal sensors built in, in practice, they work extremely well, they measure the temperature of the air rising from floor level, before it gets heated by the radiator. I have one valve behind a settee, where there is no updraft, and I had to add a remote temp sensor, but all the rest work fine.

Comment

• twisted
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Jun 2014

I'm so far having a great experience with the eq-3 (elv) Max! range. Cheap cherful and now the communication protocol has been documented, you can hook it inot most HA.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Aldi do some cheap programmable TVRs my local store has two left on special offer at 10 euros each.
        They are self contained and you just set the time and temp for the rad to come on at etc and that's it. Only problem is that each valve needs to be programmed separately.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• MichaelD
          Automated Home Guru
          • Mar 2006

I wonder what they sound like. Cheap electric motors often scream very loudly when they operate, which is almost tolerable for something like a curtain closer, but completely intolerable on something that operates randomly throughout the evening.

Comment

Working...
          X