• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chrisyd
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2016

Another - need help with a solution

Hi all,

I have been looking around for some time into the Smart Home arena but only more recently since some scallywag broke into my garage and stole my bike (got it back through). Since then I have installed some cameras and linked them to my NAS.

Anyway (back to the story). I am looking at connecting my heating system to be Smart and looking at Evohome so I can control each radiator (why do I want the radiator upstairs on when I want it on downstairs during the day for example). The boiler I have is a Remeha Avanta plus (a couple of years old) and supports OpenTherm. Next to that I am looking at Samsung Smartthings (plan to put a sensor on my garage door to tell me if it open between certain times just in case the 'scallywag' comes back) and to also control the Evohome solution.

This is also where I need some help and guidance. I plan to install some outside downlights in the eaves by the roof. While there is no perfect security system, having a house lit up reduces the risk of burglary. There is no wiring in place for this yet and will speak to a local sparky to install them as I am not keen on heights, but it would be good to have the lights come on at dusk and go off at dawn - ideally depending on the time of year and not having to manually change it. It would also be nice to be able to dim the lights just in case they are too bright and keep the neighbours awake and to have this supported via Smartthings.

I have not purchased anything at the moment and I am asking people for their suggestions and recommendations and I could be going off in a right tangent.

thanks
  • chris_j_hunter
    Automated Home Legend
    • Dec 2007

to get a feel of what's available & how far you might want to go, also have a look at Idratek, Velbus, Loxone ...

well worth thinking it through a bit, before diving in ... a few examples, worth a look, quite different scopes, again to get a feel :

Last edited by chris_j_hunter; 25 February 2016, 08:58 PM.
    Our self-build - going further with HA...

Comment

Working...
    X