• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ukdavros
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Apr 2005

Multi Room Audio and Video

Hi Guys
    I am still looking at multi room Audio and Video.

I have already got High grade Coax in each room it was already there when we moved in.
    This gives me a couple of options.
    Sending everything by RF which means I can use a different channel for each source. However As I need to use flat panels which dont have a tuner I guess this cant be done.

Option 2
    Sending signals by composite which means I would need a Matrix switcher.
    Is this just a case of connecting a Scart connecter to the coax at each viewing point(Zone) or is there more to it. (ie when using Coax to transmit Composite how do you connect it to the Monitor, is there a converter needed or like I said you just solder your Scart connector on the End)

Whats the quality differrance like between RF and Composite.

As I have the Coax already I might as well make use of it.

As I am installing Cbus they use RF to distibute the Signals.

However Elan use a Matrix switch for Coax which can send Composite or Component signals.

I then also have to think of Multi room Audio to go with it.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in Advance
    Mark
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: Multi Room Audio and Video

Hi Mark,

Originally posted by ukdavros
    Hi Guys
    I am still looking at multi room Audio and Video.

I have already got High grade Coax in each room it was already there when we moved in.
    This gives me a couple of options.
    Sending everything by RF which means I can use a different channel for each source. However As I need to use flat panels which dont have a tuner I guess this cant be done.
    What formats will the flat panels accept ?
    Composite
    S-Video
    Component
    RGB
    DVI/HDMI

Option 2
    Sending signals by composite which means I would need a Matrix switcher.
    Is this just a case of connecting a Scart connecter to the coax at each viewing point(Zone) or is there more to it. (ie when using Coax to transmit Composite how do you connect it to the Monitor, is there a converter needed or like I said you just solder your Scart connector on the End)
    You can solder the cable directly into a SCART plug but if it is only a single coax then you will only have Composite Video with No Audio.

Whats the quality differrance like between RF and Composite.
    How long is a piece of string ?

A good quality RF signal can look almost as good as a Composite signal but will only have Mono Audio unless you use very expensive Nicam modulators.

If you get the RF channels spacings correct then RF may be OK but get it wrong and you will suffer from horrendous co-channel interference.

As I have the Coax already I might as well make use of it.

As I am installing Cbus they use RF to distibute the Signals.

However Elan use a Matrix switch for Coax which can send Composite or Component signals.

I then also have to think of Multi room Audio to go with it.

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in Advance
    Mark
    [Biased but honest advise :-)]
    You could do far worse than take a look at KAT5 http://www.kat5.tv for distributing high quality AV signals to your rooms. My matrix switcher isnt ready yet but KAT5 can be fed from any other type of switcher.

You will also find the TabooTV calculator to help you work out which channels you can use. [if the Taboo guide isnt working, try a little later as it is hosted on a free server in the US and it sometimes breaks for a while :-( ]

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
    X