X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keithflynn
    Automated Home Lurker
    • May 2016

Finally got it to work using Python2 on a raspberry pi3V only problem is the name of the first zone is not shown, temp setpoint and temp actual are displayed

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

I think that first zone without a name will be your hot water.

At least, that's what I saw when I was playing with some simple Python scripts.

Comment

• WiteWulf
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2016

Good to hear, Keith. Python's a pretty easy language to learn and doesn't let you get away with some of the bad habits of Perl. There are loads of resources online for learning more of it and it's really useful that most of Adafruit's lessons are based on Python or Arduino Wiring/Processing. Have the confidence to tinker and you'll soon be off and running

Comment

• dkleeman
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Apr 2012

Great advice on this thread. Thanks to everyone I have some basic plotting working through plotly. I am a new user to Plotly and not a huge fan, so I may try to roll my own plots like SteveP and his son. It would be great to see that code if it is up anywhere,

I am polling Honeywell every five minutes and at first everything seemed fine, but now I notice that the plots (and the phone App) are now often out of date. In other words, the temperatures are not keeping up to date with the controller. I have an older controller with a RFG100 gateway. Is this a problem that other people have experienced?

Dan

Comment

• freeranger
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Feb 2016

Hi,

I followed the instructions here to get my first evohome logging up and running (Thanks for the excellent clear instructions Bill!) and then went on to develop this: https://github.com/freeranger/evologger
            I'm not a python programmer though so it's probably all a bit pants.
            I have moved on from plot.ly - I use this with the influxdb plugin and graph actual vs desired temps in grafana, which is quite nice - but I would like to make my plot.ly plugin more useful.
            Currently it does exactly what was described in this thread (and linked github repo), which is to graph the actual temperature in each zone, but I would like it to plot that against the expected temp, same as I do in grafana.
            Does anyone have that working with plot.ly and would like to share the code? Thanks

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Initial State is another nice option for graphing - not free though.

I currently have Evohome feeding SmartThings(*), and then SmartThings feeding Initial State.

P.

(*) NOT the official integration!!!!

Comment

• roydonaldson
                Automated Home Guru
                • Jan 2013

Yes, having a native integration with Initial State would be ideal. Wouldn't mind paying them a few bucks to just integrate it so easily.

Wonder if anyone has suggested it to them ?

Roy.

Comment

• freeranger
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Feb 2016

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                  Initial State is another nice option for graphing - not free though.

I currently have Evohome feeding SmartThings(*), and then SmartThings feeding Initial State.

P.

(*) NOT the official integration!!!!
                  Looks like there is a free version, so you can see the last 24 hrs.
                  Care to share your code for feeding into initial state and I can make a plugin out of it for my evologger app?

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

No code involved - I'm using the built-in integration between IS and SmartThings.

P.

Comment

• freeranger
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Feb 2016

No code involved - I'm using the built-in integration between IS and SmartThings.

P.
                      Ah ok - that's cheating, anyone could do that
                      Did you have to do any setup in IS first? With plot.ly for example you have to get a bunch of stream id's manually and then manually (or through code) create graphs, then the 5 minute push is just to those streams.
                      Did you have to do anything along those lines?
                      What are you plotting in IS? I am typically plotting actual vs desired temp but maybe there are other more "useful" use cases?

And while I'm here, is there any advantage to having ST with Evohome? If Evohome is the *only* smart thing I have, am I getting any benefit from adding ST to the mix?

thanks

Comment

• paulockenden
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Apr 2015

You don't have to configure anything - IS just slurps up all of your ST data.

For me, integrating ST with Evohome was a must, because Mrs O often likes to leave the back doors open, and I'm buggered if I'm going to pay to heat the garden! So I use a cheap ZigBee door sensor, and a ST app which stores the current heating mode, then restores it when she closes the door.

Must have paid for the ST kit by now in gas savings ;-)

P.

Comment

• freeranger
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Feb 2016

You don't have to configure anything - IS just slurps up all of your ST data.
                          Disappointingly simple

For me, integrating ST with Evohome was a must, because Mrs O often likes to leave the back doors open, and I'm buggered if I'm going to pay to heat the garden! So I use a cheap ZigBee door sensor, and a ST app which stores the current heating mode, then restores it when she closes the door.

Must have paid for the ST kit by now in gas savings ;-)

P.
                          I have exactly the same problem - Mrs O must be a doppleganger of my Mrs
                          I though the TRV's "open window" sensing function would help here because there is a rad right next to the back door, but it's not that helpful if the temp doesn't drop significantly enough - ie it's not the middle of winter!
                          Hmm..could be the excuse I've been looking for to treat myself to ST. Does this all work out of the box - If door open THEN shut off evohome heating in ZONE XX?

Comment

• paulockenden
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Apr 2015

Evo's open window function only works for 30mins, then resets!

I'm using David's integration rather than the official one. I think I'm a version ahead of his release code (I have DHW) - he keeps threatening to release an update. I also used a slightly tweaked version of a publicly available script to do the heating control.

I set the system to off (which is at system rather than zone level), but you could easily tweak the code to just lower the setpoint of a zone instead.

Comment

• freeranger
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Feb 2016

Evo's open window function only works for 30mins, then resets!

I'm using David's integration rather than the official one. I think I'm a version ahead of his release code (I have DHW) - he keeps threatening to release an update. I also used a slightly tweaked version of a publicly available script to do the heating control.

I set the system to off (which is at system rather than zone level), but you could easily tweak the code to just lower the setpoint of a zone instead.
                              Thanks for the info...do you have a link to David's integration?

Comment

• paulockenden
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by freeranger View Post
                                Thanks for the info...do you have a link to David's integration?
                                Hi All, Like many of you, I’ve been eagerly awaiting official SmartThings support for the Honeywell Evohome heating system. This was the key feature that swayed me to pick SmartThings over the likes of Fibaro, Vera, or Zipato. However, many many months later “Coming Soon” is still “Coming Soon”, the beta is clunky, unreliable and its development appears to have stalled… it’s almost as though SmartThings have invented a new meaning for the word ‘soon’ that I’ve not come across before. S...

Comment

Working...
                                X