Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beginners guide to graphing Evohome temperatures using python and plot.ly

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

You don't have to configure anything - IS just slurps up all of your ST data.

For me, integrating ST with Evohome was a must, because Mrs O often likes to leave the back doors open, and I'm buggered if I'm going to pay to heat the garden! So I use a cheap ZigBee door sensor, and a ST app which stores the current heating mode, then restores it when she closes the door.

Must have paid for the ST kit by now in gas savings ;-)

P.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    You don't have to configure anything - IS just slurps up all of your ST data.
    Disappointingly simple

For me, integrating ST with Evohome was a must, because Mrs O often likes to leave the back doors open, and I'm buggered if I'm going to pay to heat the garden! So I use a cheap ZigBee door sensor, and a ST app which stores the current heating mode, then restores it when she closes the door.

P.
    I have exactly the same problem - Mrs O must be a doppleganger of my Mrs
    I though the TRV's "open window" sensing function would help here because there is a rad right next to the back door, but it's not that helpful if the temp doesn't drop significantly enough - ie it's not the middle of winter!
    Hmm..could be the excuse I've been looking for to treat myself to ST. Does this all work out of the box - If door open THEN shut off evohome heating in ZONE XX?

Evo's open window function only works for 30mins, then resets!

I'm using David's integration rather than the official one. I think I'm a version ahead of his release code (I have DHW) - he keeps threatening to release an update. I also used a slightly tweaked version of a publicly available script to do the heating control.

I set the system to off (which is at system rather than zone level), but you could easily tweak the code to just lower the setpoint of a zone instead.

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm using David's integration rather than the official one. I think I'm a version ahead of his release code (I have DHW) - he keeps threatening to release an update. I also used a slightly tweaked version of a publicly available script to do the heating control.

I set the system to off (which is at system rather than zone level), but you could easily tweak the code to just lower the setpoint of a zone instead.
    Thanks for the info...do you have a link to David's integration?

Quote Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
    Thanks for the info...do you have a link to David's integration?
    https://community.smartthings.com/t/...egration/44953

Automated Home Jr Member

cool, thanks

P.
    Quote Originally Posted by freeranger View Post
    Disappointingly simple

I have exactly the same problem - Mrs O must be a doppleganger of my Mrs
    I though the TRV's "open window" sensing function would help here because there is a rad right next to the back door, but it's not that helpful if the temp doesn't drop significantly enough - ie it's not the middle of winter!
    Hmm..could be the excuse I've been looking for to treat myself to ST. Does this all work out of the box - If door open THEN shut off evohome heating in ZONE XX?

Any I also have the same problem with my other half The kitchen rad is the only one that works with the 'open window' function - and it works very often . Probably because the rad is opposite the back door and the cold draft runs straight across the room. I hadn't really thought about the 30 minute reset. Now I have found a use for those Orvibo sensors that I bought.

Automated Home Legend

Just for completeness you can increase that to 60 or 90 minutes in the HR92 config.... There is also a 0 setting but unfortunately rather than disabling automatic re-enabling of the radiator after a timer it simply disables the window mode completely. (A missed opportunity, as a temperature rise will still disable window mode before the timeout)

Also I'm sure you already know but its worth pointing out to other readers that the HR92 supports a remote switch for direct triggering of window mode - you could fit a reed switch to the door similar to what you would use for an alarm and run that to the HR92 for direct window mode. This would turn the radiator off as soon as the door was opened regardless of whether there was a temperature drop, and with the maximum 90 minute setting it would be a workable alternative. As soon as the door was closed it would come back on again too. This is quite a bit faster than the temperature based window mode detection which I've found takes about 10 minutes to detect a door has been opened or closed - and only if its pretty cold outside and/or quite windy.

One other point I'd make is that window mode using temperature based detection always works directly on the HR92 using its internal sensor - it doesn't matter whether you have a remote sensor like a DTS92, its the rate of temperature drop measured at the HR92 that triggers window mode. In a multiple radiator single room mode zone an individual HR92 would first detect the drop and enable window mode - this sends a window mode command back to the evotouch and I believe (but can't test as I don't have multiple radiator zones) the evotouch will then send out the 5 degree set point to other radiators in the zone.

I assume this would also happen if you used a window mode switch - in which case the HR92 that the door was wired to would turn off and on immediately with the door but any other radiators in the same zone would respond with up to a 4 minute delay.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 18th June 2016 at 09:06 PM.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi, Im after some advice, i have followed you guide, and it says successfully sent data to plot.ly but the graphs on plot.ly just say 0??
    any ideas?

Thanks

Automated Home Jr Member

Hi,

Sorry to bring up an old thread. I have been using the method posted by the OP since I got Evohome around a year and a half ago and in the most part it has done all that I need.

That is until I checked my graphs this morning and notice my Emoncms feeds hadn't received data in 18hrs. I tried running the Python script (evologger.py) manually and notice some errors (when I believe previously, it would have given the current temps within the DOS window.Evo.jpg

Could anyone shed any light at all please? Whilst I do work in IT, programming is pretty far removed from my day job to be honest, so I am out of my depth here