Evohome wifi controller - is the outdoor sensor still supported?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DanD
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Feb 2016

Evohome wifi controller - is the outdoor sensor still supported?

Hi,

I have the new Evohome wifi controller and it's all set-up with the maximum 12 zones. I've noticed from other posts that the previous colour controller which required the Gateway seemed to have a menu option for binding the outdoor sensor (HG85). I realise that the outdoor sensor is a discontinued device, but does anyone know if this option is still present in the wifi model menus somewhere? I've searched around for it in the menus, but can't seem to find it and I wondered if this is might be because I've set-up all the zones already? Has anyone used the outdoor sensor with the new wifi model?

Thanks,

Dan
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

I've been through all the menu's on my Wifi controller and I have not seen any mention of the outdoor temperature sensor, so I guess it is no longer supported. From what I've read it didn't actually do anything useful with the Evohome system anyway - it didn't affect the control algorithm in any way, it just displayed the temperature on the screen. Kind of a wasted opportunity if you ask me, because outdoor temperature is a useful factor for optimising heating control. (Throttling back flow temperature when heat loss is lower etc)

Comment

• DanD
      Automated Home Ninja
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      I've been through all the menu's on my Wifi controller and I have not seen any mention of the outdoor temperature sensor, so I guess it is no longer supported. From what I've read it didn't actually do anything useful with the Evohome system anyway - it didn't affect the control algorithm in any way, it just displayed the temperature on the screen. Kind of a wasted opportunity if you ask me, because outdoor temperature is a useful factor for optimising heating control. (Throttling back flow temperature when heat loss is lower etc)
      Thanks for confirming that I'm not going mad as I couldn't seem to find the option anywhere in the menus. I was interested in trying to get the external temperature to appear on the display, but I realise that it has no impact on the heating optimisation. I was hoping that I'd be able to set-up the virtual outdoor sensor using the HGI80 usb device, but it sounds as if this is no longer possible with the wifi controller. I'll have a good play around with the HGI80 when it arrives and see what's possible. I plan to use the HGI80 for local logging and control.

Thanks,
      Dan

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

I suspect that with the Wifi model Honeywell's intention was to replace the outdoor sensor with weather report data obtained from the internet for your location since the controller is now directly internet connected.

The iPhone app for the Evohome system has a weather report option but for whatever reason the Evotouch controller does not show outside temperature from the same data source - I'm sure it could with a firmware update but for whatever reason they have decided not to implement it yet. It's also theoretically possible to use that weather report data obtained for you location to assist the control algorithm but I suspect they will never do that.

Comment

• DanD
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Feb 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
          I suspect that with the Wifi model Honeywell's intention was to replace the outdoor sensor with weather report data obtained from the internet for your location since the controller is now directly internet connected.

The iPhone app for the Evohome system has a weather report option but for whatever reason the Evotouch controller does not show outside temperature from the same data source - I'm sure it could with a firmware update but for whatever reason they have decided not to implement it yet. It's also theoretically possible to use that weather report data obtained for you location to assist the control algorithm but I suspect they will never do that.
          Yes, I agree. I guess there's probably a licensing cost involved too if they wished to display the web-based weather data on the touchscreen. It's also strange that the web service (via the Honeywell API) reports weather information too (I've been playing with the python scripts that others have shared), but it looks to be dummy information and doesn't match my location. Overall, I'm really happy with the control of the Evohome and it seems to work really well without any outside temperature information. I was previously was using the Glow Worm Climapro2 RF single thermostat with an exterior sensor and my kids really liked the outside temperature feature on its display and hence why I was interested in seeing if I could set this up on the Evohome controller .

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
            Site Sponsor
            • Dec 2014

The outdoor sensor option was removed from the MK3. Honeywell's Voice Controlled Thermostat has local weather conditions displayed on the front screen! I like this feature and would be a nice addition to evohome.

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by DanD View Post
              Hi,

I have the new Evohome wifi controller and it's all set-up with the maximum 12 zones. I've noticed from other posts that the previous colour controller which required the Gateway seemed to have a menu option for binding the outdoor sensor (HG85). I realise that the outdoor sensor is a discontinued device, but does anyone know if this option is still present in the wifi model menus somewhere? I've searched around for it in the menus, but can't seem to find it and I wondered if this is might be because I've set-up all the zones already? Has anyone used the outdoor sensor with the new wifi model?

Thanks,

Dan
              the weather data is now supported on the smartphone App so there is no need to buy outside sensor, (in fact this was never available in the UK)
              I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

Was the outdoor sensor ever actually USED, or was it just a display thing?

P.

Comment

Working...
                X