• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ric
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2004

I need help!

Okay, I'm pretty new to all this stuff and I've extensively researched the alternatives or what I want to do. You wouldn't believe how difficult it is too find installation details and stuf. :?

OK - so I inally decided what I needed and this was a Comfort system with C-Bus integration. I then intend to piggy-back IR signals on the Linn Knekt system.

Basically, what I want is some kind o simple explanation on how to plan the C-Bus side o the system. Yes, you can get overly complex system/wiring diagrams from the C-Bus site but these don't say stuff like plug unit x into unit y, then plug unit y into.....

So basically what I'm asking or is help of somebody thats implemented C-Bus. I think I've sussed the connecting of the lights to the dimmer mods but I'm not 100% on the CAT-5 wiring.

BTW - has anyone noticed hw much the pink C-Bus CAT-5 is? surely pink plastic can't cost that much more than grey!
    Ric Charlton

always trying but not always successful
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: I need help!

Hi Ric

The CBus Shop has just added a resources page that links to training PDFs etc. Look here...

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Ric
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Apr 2004

Thanks for the info!

I had already seen some of this and the rest has given me more of an idea.

The one thing I'm struggling to find though is how to wire the light switches in.

I intend to use C-Bus keypads so these will be connected using CAT-5. It's just where to connect the other end of the CAT-5 to. I understand that the C-Bus mods daisy chain together using CAT-5 and RJ-45s but how do you introduce the switches?
      Ric Charlton

Comment

• CBusShop
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2004

Light switches, input units in C-Bus speak, are wired to the C-Bus network in the usual way. ie. They are connected to the two-wire C-Bus network just like any other C-Bus modules.

A C-Bus network can be wired in a star, daisy chained or a combination of the two methods (but not in a closed loop) so it is very flexible.

Regards,

Kwong Li
        CBus Shop
        Kwong Li
        Laser Business Systems Ltd.
        http://www.laser.com
        http://www.cbus-shop.com

Comment

• rowanh
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Apr 2004

To expand on Kwong Li's reply:

1. All C-Bus units (wall-switches, dimmers, whatever) are linked together to form a single network. The easiest manner of doing this is to simply daisy-chain the units together: however, unless you have planned the installation really well, you will probably end up with a number of interconnected stars.
          2. The wall switches / PIRs / etc units (the input units in Clipsal-speak) send messages on the network. These units don't use RJ45s - they have screw-down terminals like any standard wall-switch. Since polarity is important the terminals are marked +/-.
          3. The current to the actual lights is controlled by the dimmers & relays (the output units in Clipsal-speak). The output units respond to the messages on the network, switching the current accordingly. These units normally use RJ45s, though the older units use screw-downs.
          4. The best method of wiring a house is to install a second distribution board specifically for the Clipsal dimmers / relays. The wiring for the lights would then run from the dimmers / relays to the light fittings.

Re the 'pink CAT5'. You can use standard CAT5 cable. However, be sure to keep to a colour coding throughout your house: running mains voltage on a LAN is not recommended <g>

Re the Knekt: Piggy-backing IR signals on the Knekt could take some work, though is not impossible - you may also want to consider using the C-Bus network to transport the IR signals. The main hassle is the IR codes - an IR reader is very handy - and expensive. I did all of my own work, then paid a systems integrator to read & install the codes for my Somfy blinds.

Finally, if you go into Clipsal seriously, you should consider their HomeMinder. I control lighting / swimming pool / geysers etc using one. It has a built-in X10 interface, so you can also control X10 units when necessary. The HomeMinder also has a two-way telephone interface (as an optional extra).

HTH

-- rowan

Comment

• Ric
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Apr 2004

Thanks soooooooooooo much for that!

It's strange that I couldn't, after hours of trawling the net, find a nice simple description like that.

That's the sort of idea I had in my head but only from reading all the technical docs. This clarifies everything quite nicely.
            Ric Charlton

Comment

• rowanh
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Apr 2004

My pleasure. I must say that I am very happy with the Clipsal system - I simply couldn't have wired the 160+ <g> lights in my house using conventional wiring. If you decide to go ahead with Clipsal let me know - I have a few tips that I can pass along.

-- rowan

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                Founder
                • Jan 2004

Rowan - any chance of some pictures of your install?

Would love to feature it on the site.

Thanks

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• rowanh
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Apr 2004

The builder's work isn't complete as yet, but will send you some when all is finished.

-- rowan

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                    Founder
                    • Jan 2004

Thanks. But take plenty of "work in progres" pics too!

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• Ross
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Apr 2004

Originally posted by Otto-Mate
                      Rowan - any chance of some pictures of your install?

Would love to feature it on the site.

Thanks

M.
                      Hi,
                      I'm a Clipsal Systems Integrator from Australia. Recently I started a Forum for systems integrators in Australia. I have some Pics on my site showing installed setups of CIS components that you may find useful. I don't want to seem like a troll, however this link will get you there.

If you want some defintive setup instructions I can provide them. I have access to all Clipsal specifications and data sheets.

Cheers.
                      Austalian Integrators Forum
                      http://www.integrate-oz.net/forum/index.php
                      http://www.cbussales.com/index.php

Comment

• FrankMcAlinden
                        Automated Home Guru
                        • Feb 2004

Hi Ric
                        Theres a review of my Humble CBus install on this site..

If you intend to integrate Cbus ir with your Audio kit you need to ensure the CBus ir tx outputs are not referenced to Ground as it upsets the Cbus system...I achieved the above by using an opto isolated board connected to my HomeVision/FirM multi zone ir unit....This lets me control my kit either by Homevision or my Cbus Touchscreen...
                        Some info on my site..

HTH
                        Frank
                        Home of FirM - the Multi Zone IR Transport System
                        http://www.armaghelectrical.com.au/index.html

Comment

• mhread
                          Automated Home Lurker
                          • Jun 2004

I am having a full C-Bus installed in my new home at the moment. I am having fully integrated home minder, C-Bus and starserve implemented between now and when the house is completed next February. First fix and pre-wire got underway at the weekend. Just wondered if anyone was interested in getting regular updates?

The home is also is having full cat5e data and voice with at least two points in each room, although we are not putting data or voice on the starserve - just video distribution. (inputs from digital tv arial, main dvd, and security camera on front door) using RGB6.

We have also brought in a 50pair UTP and a fibre backbone, although I am not sure how to utilise the fibre at the moment. Any ideas would be welcome.

Integration to home minder includes alarm system, airconditioning (on/off only), remote garage roller door operation, 4 irragation zones (controlling 5 solenoids each), door strikes for remote opening of front door (say by the remote control that operates the alarm and garage roller doors)

We are also having the starserve infrared module with a couple of tagrets targets - probably home theater and master bedrooms. Mostly Neo switches, but in master bedrooms, kitchen, family room and media room, we are having the new saturn switches. You get them in England yet? They are tres sexy...)

Not put a huge amount of thought into programming yet, but have *some* thought into this. Started the lighting pre-wire with the idea of flexibility for themes - most rooms having at least two runs for flexibility. If we dont need them for now - we can always termintate rooms together, and separate later as need for expansion arises.

I live in Adelaide - where they actually make all the c-bus stuff, so it's easy and cheap to get here. (relatively - noone can really say a neo switch is *cheap*) How much would you pay for an 8gang neo switch in the UK? (Ex brit here)

Anyone interested in hearing more - give me a yell.
                          Martin
                          I may arrive late every morning
                          But I make up for it by leaving early.

Comment

• Otto-Mate
                            Founder
                            • Jan 2004

Hi Martin

C-Bus is still quite new in the UK, although interest is ballooning all the time.

We'd love to see some photos of your install if you get the chance?

Thanks

M.

www.twitter.com/ottomate

Comment

• mhread
                              Automated Home Lurker
                              • Jun 2004

Thasnk M - we outsourced all the electrical for the house so we could have full control, but should be ready in Feb next year. At the moment, its just pictures or bundles of cables in a wood frame house - may not be very interesting, (no roof tiles or bricks yet) however over next few weeks, the switching prewire will be going in (loads of pink cat5e). I will get some photos as the thing progresses.

Maybe it would be more interesting for people to see the house plans with wiring light and swithcing plans? They are only hand drawn over a copy of our building master plan, but still may be of interest. Where I am building, it is an encumberance of building that the house has at least 4 cat5 data points, certain pre-wires for cable and digital, and a home management system. So everyone on the estate will have one - although most builders put in the Hills cheaper version, and most people never do anything with them, exepct use it as a alarm system or not seem to understand what else they are capable of. (see http://www.mawsonlakes.com.au/llweb/..._tomorrow_tech for more details of the place I am building)

I could not resist the c-bus - although it is not an encumberance, i love the idea of having lighting themes for the house and garden, let alone all the other smarts it offers...

let me know if anyone is really interested in this project, and I could give regular pics and updates as the project moves forward...

Still - I would love for someone to tell me what I may do to utilise the fibre backbone on the house.
                              Martin
                              I may arrive late every morning
                              But I make up for it by leaving early.

Comment

Working...
                              X