Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I need help!

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Re: I need help!

Quote Originally Posted by Otto-Mate
    Rowan - any chance of some pictures of your install?

Would love to feature it on the site.

Thanks

M.
    Hi,
    I'm a Clipsal Systems Integrator from Australia. Recently I started a Forum for systems integrators in Australia. I have some Pics on my site showing installed setups of CIS components that you may find useful. I don't want to seem like a troll, however this link will get you there.

http://www.integrate-oz.net/forum/index.php

If you want some defintive setup instructions I can provide them. I have access to all Clipsal specifications and data sheets.

Cheers.

Automated Home Guru FrankMcAlinden's Avatar

Hi Ric
    Theres a review of my Humble CBus install on this site..

http://www.automatedhome.co.uk/article1173.html

If you intend to integrate Cbus ir with your Audio kit you need to ensure the CBus ir tx outputs are not referenced to Ground as it upsets the Cbus system...I achieved the above by using an opto isolated board connected to my HomeVision/FirM multi zone ir unit....This lets me control my kit either by Homevision or my Cbus Touchscreen...
    Some info on my site..

http://skybax.rapidhoster.co.uk/~armagh/page38.html
    HTH
    Frank

Automated Home Lurker

I am having a full C-Bus installed in my new home at the moment. I am having fully integrated home minder, C-Bus and starserve implemented between now and when the house is completed next February. First fix and pre-wire got underway at the weekend. Just wondered if anyone was interested in getting regular updates?

The home is also is having full cat5e data and voice with at least two points in each room, although we are not putting data or voice on the starserve - just video distribution. (inputs from digital tv arial, main dvd, and security camera on front door) using RGB6.

We have also brought in a 50pair UTP and a fibre backbone, although I am not sure how to utilise the fibre at the moment. Any ideas would be welcome.

Integration to home minder includes alarm system, airconditioning (on/off only), remote garage roller door operation, 4 irragation zones (controlling 5 solenoids each), door strikes for remote opening of front door (say by the remote control that operates the alarm and garage roller doors)

We are also having the starserve infrared module with a couple of tagrets targets - probably home theater and master bedrooms. Mostly Neo switches, but in master bedrooms, kitchen, family room and media room, we are having the new saturn switches. You get them in England yet? They are tres sexy...)

Not put a huge amount of thought into programming yet, but have *some* thought into this. Started the lighting pre-wire with the idea of flexibility for themes - most rooms having at least two runs for flexibility. If we dont need them for now - we can always termintate rooms together, and separate later as need for expansion arises.

I live in Adelaide - where they actually make all the c-bus stuff, so it's easy and cheap to get here. (relatively - noone can really say a neo switch is *cheap*) How much would you pay for an 8gang neo switch in the UK? (Ex brit here)

Anyone interested in hearing more - give me a yell.
    Martin

Hi Martin

C-Bus is still quite new in the UK, although interest is ballooning all the time.

We'd love to see some photos of your install if you get the chance?

Thanks

M.

Automated Home Lurker

Thasnk M - we outsourced all the electrical for the house so we could have full control, but should be ready in Feb next year. At the moment, its just pictures or bundles of cables in a wood frame house - may not be very interesting, (no roof tiles or bricks yet) however over next few weeks, the switching prewire will be going in (loads of pink cat5e). I will get some photos as the thing progresses.

Maybe it would be more interesting for people to see the house plans with wiring light and swithcing plans? They are only hand drawn over a copy of our building master plan, but still may be of interest. Where I am building, it is an encumberance of building that the house has at least 4 cat5 data points, certain pre-wires for cable and digital, and a home management system. So everyone on the estate will have one - although most builders put in the Hills cheaper version, and most people never do anything with them, exepct use it as a alarm system or not seem to understand what else they are capable of. (see http://www.mawsonlakes.com.au/llweb/..._tomorrow_tech for more details of the place I am building)

I could not resist the c-bus - although it is not an encumberance, i love the idea of having lighting themes for the house and garden, let alone all the other smarts it offers...

let me know if anyone is really interested in this project, and I could give regular pics and updates as the project moves forward...

Still - I would love for someone to tell me what I may do to utilise the fibre backbone on the house.
    Martin

Automated Home Guru FrankMcAlinden's Avatar

Hi Martin
    Please do keep us posted on your progress with some pics ;-))
    Is your new house part of the smart house project in Adelaide ??

Frank (melbourne)
    PS ....Install plenty of cat5

Automated Home Jr Member

Howdi Martin,
    Who's your systems integrator in Adelaide?
    Show us some piccys if you get time that is.
    Cheers

Automated Home Jr Member

I'm sure that I'm not the only one that would be interested in eeing your C-BUS project. The more pics the better!

I would be particularly interested in pics of central nodes where all your dimmers, etc. are.

I will hopefully be starting first fit electrics in the next couple of weeks. It's difficult to say since my project is an extension rather than a new build.

@mhread - I intend to use the E2000 switches since I can't really justify spending more than £55 on a light switch. Check out www.cbus-shop.com for Brit pricing.
    Ric Charlton

always trying but not always successful

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for all the interest guys - and I will go out armed with the digi camera at the weekend.

Ross - my systems integrator is a company called Tech-know House - who are fairly small, but do most of the large south Australian projects. The Owner is an excellent chap called Zelco. He has just finished a cbus system with 103 inputs, even though the theoretical maximum is 100. As for pics, I need to be clear with you guys what to expect.

At the moment I have a wood frame and nothing else in the house. Windows are going in this week (bolted to the wooden frame) and roof tiles put on. We have already run all of the power, and most of the light cable, except for the loops. (The house will have virtually exclusively 12v down lights, so there are plenty of loops to put in this weekend).

Zelco and his team will put in the pre-wire for the Cbus over the next week or two. Then we will have mostly bunches of wires. We are putting in two separate cabinets to house c-bus dimmers and relays (each with 48 slots that’s a lot right?), home minder and star serve, and we have our own comms box for the voice and data. When these go in, this is what you guys want to see right? The dimmers, relays and the electronic “bits”? The termination of the 240v and the cat5? And all of the boxes? I would think that Zelco would not put the boxes up until lockup stage (after brick work has been completed) which may be weeks yet. I will get more technical and timing details for you - I am not an electrician, just the lucky end user.

Ric - 55 quid? Sounds cheap to me, lol. – An 8 gang neo switch retails for about $245, although if you know someone who can get trade price, they are about $145.

Frank – yes – every house built in Mawson Lakes is part of the smart house project. Most houses aren’t smart, as the encumbrances are mostly around putting in a home management system, and pre-wiring only. Most people on the estate have not taken advantage of these systems, and the builders are not much help. That’s why we outsourced all of the electrical work, so we had complete control.

Ric – if you get the E2000, wait a while – blue LED versions have just been released here and are only a few dollars more each. They look much more attractive then the red LED version, and if you mix E2000 and Neo or Saturn, they fir better overall as they all have blue LED.

Thanks for the link – I saw that on the site after I posted and paid it a visit – there is nothing like that in Australia – maybe I should have a chat to Zelco. ;-)

See you later guys – feels like home at the moment – winter – only 15deg and raining.

Martin