• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ark
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Aug 2005

CCTV, SCART Data Lines, serail communication, RS232

Hello Everyone,

I want to control my TV (Toshiba 32ZT29B) from the computer via rs232. The computer is interfaced to cctv cameras and motion detectors. When motion is detected, I want to switch the tv to display computer screen and hence cameras. The PC has s-video output, which (through converter) i've plugged to the scart socket.

I see two ways to do that:
    A. Use the serial port at the back of the TV.
    B. Use SCART pins 10, 12, 14 (http://www.diyha.co.uk/electronics/scart.html). In theory, it should be possible to control the TV behaviour using serial communication on those data lines.

I have asked Toshiba for the specs. of the supported commands, but after a months wait I’ve got an email saying they can not provide me with this info... bull&£$%. I think this is because the serial port on the back of the TV is most likely used for servicing purposes (firmware updates). However, SCART should have some standard command set to interact with DVD players, video recorders and satellite receivers (possibly cinemalink functionality).

Does anyone have any specs on the scart command set, line levels, baud rate, parity and stop bits? Has anyone tried to use those for control of their A/V equipment? Anyone tried to use their serial port (D-Type 9 pins)? Has any of you experts got some other idea how to accomplish such goal.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ARK
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: CCTV, SCART Data Lines, serail communication, RS232

Originally posted by Ark
    Hello Everyone,

I want to control my TV (Toshiba 32ZT29B) from the computer via rs232. The computer is interfaced to cctv cameras and motion detectors. When motion is detected, I want to switch the tv to display computer screen and hence cameras. The PC has s-video output, which (through converter) i've plugged to the scart socket.

I see two ways to do that:
    A. Use the serial port at the back of the TV.
    B. Use SCART pins 10, 12, 14 (http://www.diyha.co.uk/electronics/scart.html). In theory, it should be possible to control the TV behaviour using serial communication on those data lines.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

ARK
    Hi Ark,

Cant help with the serial port as the command set would be Toshiba specific.

With regard to the SCART pins, they are NOT RS232. I dont have the specifics of the signals but they are used for inter device communication using I2C signals. Newer sets can exchange information about tuning etc via these pins.

Taking things right back to basics.... why dont you just use the SCART as it is intended to be used ?

All you need to do is apply +12v to Pin 8 and it will grab the TV thus showing your cameras. Remove the 12V and it drops back to what you were watching (actually different sets behave differently so you might need to experiment a bit). You might also need to choose a different SCART depending on the way the TV prioritises them.

Failing that, some form of IR control could be driven from the PC. Pin8 of the SCART is probably still the best bet if you want to automatically revert back to normal after viewing the CCTV as only the TV would know what it was on before.

Sorry I cant help more

Regards

Keith

KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• Ark
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Aug 2005

Re: CCTV, SCART Data Lines, serail communication, RS232

Hello Keith,

Thank you for the very prompt reply.

I will try to use pin 8 of the SCART as you have suggested. Will let you know the results.

In the meantime if someone knows anything about the I2C bus used in the SCART (e.g. command codes, which device is master, slave, their addresses etc ), I will appreciate if you share this information.

Thanks,

ARK

Comment

Working...
      X