• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • datasafe
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Feb 2016

Unable to ADD GATEWAY RFG100?

Good afternoon everyone and apologies for another plea for help!!

Presently I only have the Honeywell ATP921R3100 Evohome Connected Thermostat Pack installed i.e the LCD controller unit and the BDR boiler relay. This is working just fine

Today I received the RFG100 Mobile Gateway unit and expected it to be a breeze to install! I followed the instructions and watched a Youtube video BUT, I can't seem to find the option on the controller unit to Add the Gateway.

In the video I watched, when the presenter pressed the pressed the 'System Device' button from within the 'Installation Menu':

He received the following screen (snipped from the video)

When I do the same, I get the following screen

As you can see, it's very much different and offers no options to 'Add Gateway'!

I'm guessing I'm doing something dumb but can't work it out!

I tried resetting the controller to factory defaults and also the RFG100 by holding the button for 5 secs.

Any suggestions?

Many thanks

John
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Judging by your photo of your unit (they have a different style frame around the screen) you have the new Wifi model of controller. Do you have a Wifi option in Settings ?

As far as I know the new Wifi model does not support the old RFG100 wireless gateway - you don't need it, just connect the controller directly to your existing home wifi network and send the Gateway unit back.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 1 March 2016, 03:54 PM.

Comment

• datasafe
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Feb 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      Judging by your photo of your unit (they have a different style frame around the screen) you have the new Wifi model of controller. Do you have a Wifi option in Settings ?

As far as I know the new Wifi model does not support the old RFG100 wireless gateway - you don't need it, just connect the controller directly to your existing home wifi network and send the Gateway unit back.
      Thanks for replying so quickly

Yes, there is a WiFi option in the settings!! I did find this a little confusing as it's not referred to in the manual! Of course I have completed a scan for wireless networks but noting is displayed except 'Other' and that gives the option to set things manually! My theory was that it was scanning for an RFG100 which I didn't have

Looks like I need to set WiFi up manually which is a bit strange!

Thanks again for your reply.

Regards

John

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

I think you're a little confused - The RFG100 is only for use with the original Evohome colour unit that did not have wifi.

You have the new Evohome Wifi model, which cannot connect to the RFG100. It connects to standard Wifi networks. Am I to assume then that you do not have a Wifi router connected to your home broadband connection ?

If it does not find any networks when you go into Wifi that would suggest that there are no Wifi networks in range, so you either don't have a Wifi router or you are out of range of it.

Comment

• datasafe
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Feb 2016

No, I did understand what you said. I've now disconnected the RFG100 completely!

When I do have a WiFi network in my home and it woks just fine but for some reason, the Evohome controller doesn't find them when a scan is completed! All that's displayed on the screen following a scan for wireless networks is 'Other', this allows one to enter the details manually. I can't understand why the wireless network isn't displayed - just a standard Talk Talk wireless router.

Regards

John

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

How far is the Evotouch controller from your router ?

The Evotouch only supports 2.4Ghz wifi not 5Ghz - so check in your Talk Talk router settings that you don't have it switched to 5Ghz only mode or it won't see it. Also some posters have observed that the Evotouch can't connect using channel 12 or 13 so make sure the router is set to a channel between 1 and 11, usually you would use 1, 6 or 11 depending on what channels were in use around you.

You haven't customised your Talk Talk router's wifi settings in any way have you, for example setting it as a "hidden" SSID ?

Comment

• datasafe
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Feb 2016

Firstly, thanks for your help, it really is appreciated

The Evotouch is very near to the wireless router, just a couple of feet away. The router selects its channel automatically from 1 to 11. The router is operating on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz (I also have another wireless AP operating 2.4 & 5Ghz).

The TalkTalk router is standard config as is the IPCOM system too - there's no conflicts and they're running nicely side by side My mobile fone connects without any issues.

What I find strange is the Evotouch doesn't display any wireless networks at all! Is there anyway of doing a hard reset on the device?

Thanks

John

Comment

• datasafe
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Feb 2016

I just checked the firmware version on my controller unit and discovered there was no WiFi software version! - I wonder if this is the problem?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Well spotted.

That all zeros wifi software version does indeed look very suspect.

The original software versions that shipped with the Evohome Wifi (at least on mine) are:

Application Software Version: 01.00.10.00
                  Wifi Software Version: 01.00.01.00

The current versions after a unit upgrades is:

Application Software Version: 01.00.02.01
                  Wifi Software Version: 01.00.02.00

The all zero Wifi software version suggests a problem with the wifi software. Have you tried removing the batteries from the unit for a few minutes (whilst off the dock) to do a full reboot of the unit ?

Assuming that does not help I think you're going to have to return the unit to where you bought it for a warranty replacement as there is no way other than over the wifi connection to update the software...
                  Last edited by DBMandrake; 1 March 2016, 08:31 PM.

Comment

• datasafe
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Feb 2016

Well spotted.

Have you tried removing the batteries from the unit for a few minutes (whilst off the dock) to do a full reboot of the unit ?

Assuming that does not help I think you're going to have to return the unit to where you bought it for a warranty replacement as there is no way other than over the wifi connection to update the software...

That will be my next step.

I have emailed Honeywell for advice.

Thanks

John

Comment

• Jom
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Aug 2015

Well spotted.

That all zeros wifi software version does indeed look very suspect.

The original software versions that shipped with the Evohome Wifi (at least on mine) are:

Application Software Version: 01.00.10.00
                      Wifi Software Version: 01.00.01.00

The current versions after a unit upgrades is:

Application Software Version: 01.00.02.01
                      Wifi Software Version: 01.00.02.00

The all zero Wifi software version suggests a problem with the wifi software. Have you tried removing the batteries from the unit for a few minutes (whilst off the dock) to do a full reboot of the unit ?

Another possibility - your Evohome has updated the Version of the application software - version 01.00.02.01 looks like latest version. Version of wifi software doesn't look right, perhaps something went wrong with that update??
                      On the other hand, resetting your device as suggested above may sort out the issue for you.
                      One other thing, make sure your batteries are fully charged and your device is on the controller when you go to connect to wifi. This was a problem for me when I first got my Evotouch, device needs a firm push on the charging unit.
                      Best of luck with it.

Comment

• datasafe
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Feb 2016

Thanks for the reply.

I believe the application software is the latest available but, as you say, the WiFi software doesn't look right! Strange the wireless connection to the boiler relay is working fine!

When I was attempting to discover available WiFi networks, the controller was NOT on the charging dock - perhaps as you suggest, this could be the issue?

Will try in a few minutes.

Regards

John

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                          Site Sponsor
                          • Dec 2014

The 'WiFi chip' inside the evohome Controller will turn off in a low power condition meaning it won't find wireless networks. Ensure the evohome Controller is docked when searching for networks or the batteries are fully charged.

Comment

• datasafe
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Feb 2016

Thank you for the reply - perhaps it was your video I watched on Youtube (Welsh accent)? I'm down in sunny South Wales.

I'm about to order the radiator HR92s, I'm guessing I can order these through you?

I just tried searching WiFi networks with the controller docked but same result The controller communicates wirelessly with the boiler relay when off the dock! I've now removed the batteries for a few minutes. The batteries are fully charged.

Just noticed the model number of the controller I have (displayed when the front panel is removed) is ATC928G3000 - is this the latest controller?

Thanks

John
                            Last edited by datasafe; 1 March 2016, 10:49 PM.

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Feb 2016

Originally posted by datasafe View Post

Just noticed the model number of the controller I have (displayed when the front panel is removed) is ATC928G3000 - is this the latest controller?
                              ATC928G3000 is the lastest version of the EvoHome John, with WiFi connectivity built in.

Don't get too bogged down about the BDR91 working via 'Wireless' as this is a totally different wireless frequency (868Mhz) that Honeywell use beween their devices. Its also the same one they use to communicate with the HR92 radiator controllers.

The 'WiFi' you are stuggling with is 2.4Ghz in the microwave spectrum.

Comment

Working...
                              X