• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • angelos
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Mar 2015

Some EQ3 questions....

Hi all,

Ive been reading the articles and doing some googling and I think Ive settled on the eQ3 MAX! thermostats for my house but before ordering I thought Id ask a few questions as I as seen many people on this forum have them

My objective is to have zoned heating for the house (approx 10 rads), be able to control it from a mobile and be able to do clever stuff like upstairs goes to 18C at night whilst downstairs goes to 15c , etc etc

I work in software for a living so Im not afraid of coding something up , and quite keen to use a raspberry pi as a smart hub of sorts

1. For the RADs Ive been looking at the eQ-3 kit and looked at the eQ3 Max and eQ3 Max+ . The Max is cheaper and appears to do what I want. I believe it can talk to the "cube" and can also be self contained. The only advantage of the max+ is you can program it extensively like a traditional CH controller.. Is this correct?

2. From what Ive read the Max! Wireless TRVs all work with the MAX! Cube, is this mandatory or can you connect to them (wirelessly) without the cube??? Only ask as Ive heard the cube isnt actually that good and some snippets of information indicate that you can connect without..

3. Ive seen some custom UIs for the Cube, to be able to control the rads, can I assume there is a API (REST?) that I can use? Does anyone know where this is documented?

4. ive read in a few places that the Max! thermostats are a little noisy, does anyone know which ones are noisy and which ones arent

Finally, if there are alternative wireless TRVs I should look at please let me know!

thanks all!
Working...
X