Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]753[/ATTACH]
    Ensure 24v RT is linked
    Ensure Burner off is linked
    Ensure Ebus is NOT linked

Wire R8810A1018 to OT terminals on VR33
    Again no wonder why I didn't understand this post.

I have a Vaillant Ecotec Plus 438 open vented boiler. So my connections are slightly different. I don't have 24V RT, Burner Off and EBus. As shown in the diagram below.

22090566.jpg

Instead I have the following.

ecotecboiler.jpg

I'll try and see what the 7, 8 and 9 correspond to in terms of 24V RT and Burner Off. (Except I'll be ignoring the warning message elsewhere in the manual! - see image)

rbhzqe.jpg

I guess the OT terminals on the VR33 are big terminal block T10 which is connected by the Red jumper wire when you buy the VR33.
    Last edited by bruce_miranda; 5 April 2016, 10:38 PM.

Comment

• top brake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Feb 2015

Not sure that the VR33 will work for your boiler
      I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
        Not sure that the VR33 will work for your boiler
        Ouch! Now you tell me. Is the VR33 only supported on certain Vaillant boilers? The VR33 said it was compatible with Vaillant ecoTech Plus, which mine is. So I took the plunge.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

See this translated Dutch site. I think it gives the details you need:

Ik heb: - Vaillant VHR NL 30-34/5 5R3 2013 - VR 33 opentherm module - Honeywell evohome opentherm RF-module R8810 - Honeywell evohome bedieningsinterface ATC928 - Honeywell evohome internet-gateway RFG100 Handelingen: - Ik heb de "oude" kamerthermostaat verwijderd van de ketelprintplaat eBUS -...

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Most of the installations seem to be on Combi or System boilers. My boiler is a standard open vented and doesn't have the 24V RT and Burner Off jumpers. So it will be interesting to see if I can even install the VR33 in my Vaillant. I'll let people know how I get on.

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
              Most of the installations seem to be on Combi or System boilers. My boiler is a standard open vented and doesn't have the 24V RT and Burner Off jumpers. So it will be interesting to see if I can even install the VR33 in my Vaillant. I'll let people know how I get on.
              Let us know how you get along.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Is it possible to show me a picture of where on the boiler board does the VR33 board plug into? It looks like it goes into X31 which is an edge connector on the boiler board.

Also is your 230V RT linked or not, now with the VR33 plugged in?

Reading another post it seems like I need to put back the link between 3 and 4 if I have an accessory connected. See

Ik heb een Vaillant hrSOLIDE Plus en wil daar een modulerende thermostaat met OpenTherm op aansluiten. Voor ik dingen de vernieling in help even een dubbel-check ... Volgens mij moet ik de draadjes van de nu aangesloten aan/uit thermostaat verwijderen van klem 3 en 4. Ik moet de brug die nu op...

(original http://www.klusidee.nl/Forum/aanslui...us-t98498.html)
                Last edited by bruce_miranda; 5 April 2016, 11:52 PM.

Comment

• top brake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Feb 2015

Is it possible to show me a picture of where on the boiler board does the VR33 board plug into? It looks like it goes into X31 which is an edge connector on the boiler board.

Also is your 230V RT linked or not, now with the VR33 plugged in?

Reading another post it seems like I need to put back the link between 3 and 4 if I have an accessory connected. See

Ik heb een Vaillant hrSOLIDE Plus en wil daar een modulerende thermostaat met OpenTherm op aansluiten. Voor ik dingen de vernieling in help even een dubbel-check ... Volgens mij moet ik de draadjes van de nu aangesloten aan/uit thermostaat verwijderen van klem 3 en 4. Ik moet de brug die nu op...

(original http://www.klusidee.nl/Forum/aanslui...us-t98498.html)
                  Yes edge connector to X31 on the main board

No link in 230V RT

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2014

Will pushing the button on the Opentherm fire the boiler up? similar to if I was using a BDR91 as a boiler relay.

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Feb 2016

Will pushing the button on the Opentherm fire the boiler up? similar to if I was using a BDR91 as a boiler relay.
                      Pressing the button on the OT Interface does fire up the boiler, but I suspect that the Evohome would signal it to turn off again within a few minutes.

I do know that when you press the button the green LED does not come on permanently, it continues to flash indicating that it is talking to the Evohome.

Pressing the button again turns the boiler off again.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jul 2014

The reason i ask is should I consider the Opentherm bridge as overridable and hence in the accessible airing cupboard or consider part of the boiler which is in the loft. Currently my BDR91s are in the airing cupboard and if I ever need to, i push the button to turn the function on.

Comment

• Chestnut 2000
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Feb 2016

It might be a good idea to have it accessible, just in case it ever saves you a climb up into the loft if you need to perform any re-binding for example.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Jul 2014

I've not had sucess getting this to fire the boiler.

I installed the VR33 and the LED is solid green indicating the module is working fine. The Opentherm bridge is also working and I get the Green Flash every 10 seconds. Both the VR33 and the Opentherm bridge LEDs pulse to show they are talking to each other.

The boiler's diagnostic d.90 also indicates the module has been detected by the boiler.

What i cant seem to get working is getting the boiler to fire via the Opentherm Bridge. In fact shorting the OT jumper on the VR33 also doesn't fire the boiler.

If I short the boiler 3 and 4 then the boiler is on continously (which i fully expected).

I think I need to set the boiler to an eBUS control rather than the 230V input it is currently set up for.

Comment

• StuartG
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Mar 2015

I have a Vaillant 637 system boiler running with the VR33 and OpenTherm bridge.

In my case I removed the existing 230V connection that was wired to the BDR91. I connected the VR33 to the expansion board on the side (for me, X31). I also had to reinstate a jumper on the 24V RT connection (for me this was X100, coloured white, and labelled RT24). The boiler installation instructions explicitly say to REMOVE that jumper when using 230V controls. There was a handy little piece of wire in the VR33 box that did just the job. The VR33 instruction (assuming I read the Dutch properly!) don't seem to specifically point this out, presumably because the module could go in various boilers. The installation manual my boiler does say that RT24 might also be labelled X106.

I too get a confirmation on diagnostic code 90, so it sounds like the module has been recognised.

I don't know the specifics of how the wiring works inside the boiler, but I am guessing that in the absence of the RT24 jumper then the circuit is broken and hence the boiler never fires up? My understanding is that shorting the OpenTherm connection itself should cause the boiler to fire.

Hope this helps!

Comment

• top brake
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Feb 2015

Great explaination

Originally posted by StuartG View Post
                                I have a Vaillant 637 system boiler running with the VR33 and OpenTherm bridge.

In my case I removed the existing 230V connection that was wired to the BDR91. I connected the VR33 to the expansion board on the side (for me, X31). I also had to reinstate a jumper on the 24V RT connection (for me this was X100, coloured white, and labelled RT24). The boiler installation instructions explicitly say to REMOVE that jumper when using 230V controls. There was a handy little piece of wire in the VR33 box that did just the job. The VR33 instruction (assuming I read the Dutch properly!) don't seem to specifically point this out, presumably because the module could go in various boilers. The installation manual my boiler does say that RT24 might also be labelled X106.

I too get a confirmation on diagnostic code 90, so it sounds like the module has been recognised.

I don't know the specifics of how the wiring works inside the boiler, but I am guessing that in the absence of the RT24 jumper then the circuit is broken and hence the boiler never fires up? My understanding is that shorting the OpenTherm connection itself should cause the boiler to fire.

Hope this helps!

Comment

Working...
                                X