• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    I thought the only way to do this was to wire the HW BDR91 to the HW zone valve and bind it as the HW acuator.
    Wire the CH BDR91 to the CH zone valve and bind it as the Boiler Demand relay.
    NO! Please see the diagrams I posted earlier. You've described something half way between the conventional and alternative methods.

The 'official' way is to wire the CH BDR91 to the CH zone valve, as you've described, but then bind as as the heating demand valve, not the boiler relay.

Alternatively, wire that BDR directly to the boiler, and bind it as a boiler relay. But if you do this you MUST latch the CH valve open.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 4 April 2016, 05:06 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
      NO!

The 'official' way is to wire the CH BDR91 to the CH zone valve, as you've described, but then bind as as the heating demand valve, not the boiler relay.
      But HOW? That's the question I've been asking for a while now. Please tell me which menu in the new Wifi evohome system should I use to bind the CH BDR91 as a heating demand valve which will trigger when ANY radiator needs heat. As mentioned the Sundial option has been removed from the System Devices.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

NO! Please see the diagrams I posted earlier. You've described something half way between the conventional and alternative methods.

Alternatively, wire that BDR directly to the boiler, and bind it as a boiler relay. But if you do this you MUST latch the CH valve open.
        So where exactly is the 'heating demand valve' setting in the wifi Evohome set up menu?

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

In guided setup it asks you to bind them both (along with the temp sensor).

you chaps may have your CH BDRs double bound - as both CH relays *and* boiler relays.

This is incredibly common, and Richard mentions it on his evohomeshop pages.

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Alternatively I think you can do it from the System Devices menu. Set boiler control to none, and then go through the Stored Hot Water configuration.

Don't forget to clear the existing bindings on the BDRs (15 second press).
            Last edited by paulockenden; 4 April 2016, 05:16 PM. Reason: More bloody typos

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
              My system is as you describe. Two motorised valves and 2 BDRs. The HW BDR was part of the HW kit connected to an unvented system. When Paul suggested that something was amiss, I went up stairs with controller in hand and turned on the HW. The BDR light illuminated and the valve opened. The HW valve remained shut. I repeated the exercise with the Htg BDR and the valve motored and the HW valve remained shut. At this point, it got tricky as both outlet pipes were hot.

I have just been up again. The HW is ON on the Evohome timer and the BDR green light is ON. The Htg BDR green valve is OFF and the CH motorised valve is closed. As I type, the Hot water has just reached temperature, the BDR green light has gone OFF and the motorised valve has closed. The pump and boiler have shut down.
              To me that suggests that your CH BDR isn't bound as a boiler relay. Else it would also be switching on with the DHW.

I think you just need to set Boiler Control to None in the menus, and you'll be sorted.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

I don't think the CH BDRs are double bound because 'we' still don't know of to bind the CH BDR as anything other than the Boiler Relay which is set via the Boiler Demand.

I didn't think the BDRs could be bound to more than 4 devices so it can't even be that you have to bind the BDR as an acuator for every HR92 zone too.

So @paulockenden please elaborate how you bind the CH BDR to any of the HR92 radiator zones without it being bound as a System Device->Boiler Demand.

Forget about Stored Hot Water Configuration for the moment.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
                  So @paulockenden please elaborate how you bind the CH BDR to any of the HR92 radiator zones without it being bound as a System Device->Boiler Demand.

Forget about Stored Hot Water Configuration for the moment.
                  You can't forget about Stored Hot Water, because that's where the CH BDR is bound. They've just changed the names of the old Sundial menus.

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                    Site Sponsor
                    • Dec 2014

You can't forget about Stored Hot Water, because that's where the CH BDR is bound. They've just changed the names of the old Sundial menus.
                    Paul, don't forget Bruce doesn't have the 'evohome Hot Water Kit' so doesn't have access to the 'STORED HOT WATER CONFIGURATION' menu currently.

Comment

• paulockenden
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by The EVOHOME Shop View Post
                      Paul, don't forget Bruce doesn't have the 'evohome Hot Water Kit' so doesn't have access to the 'STORED HOT WATER CONFIGURATION' menu currently.
                      I'm getting very confused now - I thought we were talking about S-Plan. How can you have S-Plan without the hot water kit?

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                        Site Sponsor
                        • Dec 2014

I'm getting very confused now - I thought we were talking about S-Plan. How can you have S-Plan without the hot water kit?
                        You can have external controls still controlling the Hot Water system. Some people still do this and use evohome as just the heating controller only (with or without HR92's). A lot of people are being confused here when there is no need.

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

In that case I apologise. When S-plan was mentioned I assumed that Evohome was controlling all of it, as per the install instructions, not just half of it.

Is that half and half approach still going to work with Opentherm?

Comment

• The EVOHOME Shop
                            Site Sponsor
                            • Dec 2014

In that case I apologise. When S-plan was mentioned I assumed that Evohome was controlling all of it, as per the install instructions, not just half of it.

Is that half and half approach still going to work with Opentherm?
                            No, need to apologise Paul. Bruce mentioned earlier he didn't have the Hot Water Kit and Top Brake said he would need to have the Hot Water Kit if he was going to use the OpenTherm Bridge - http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ll=1#post26692

Comment

• HenGus
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • May 2014

Having now followed Paul's advice and deleted the CH wireless relay etc, I am now even more confused. There is now no mention of anything to do with the boiler in the System Menus - so no settings for boiler cycle rate, minimum time etc. Both HW and CH are working fine. Do I just leave it as it is or re-set the CH to wireless relay? My confusion here is that I watched the installer cycle through these menus.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Jul 2014

Is there a video or instructions that take you through the Hot water kit installation. Why would Honeywell put the CH BDR binding menu under the Hot water section. I would have thought the Hot water would take yoh through the HW BDR binding only.

Anyway I would still be interested to know how HenGus' system is wired and bound.

Comment

Working...
                                X