• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garmcqui
    Automated Home Guru
    • Jan 2015

Way to monitor boiler demand?

After getting Evohome temperature graphs working, I was wondering if there is any way to monitor/log boiler demand? Is there some sort of datalogger that could monitor the output voltage from the boiler relay or something like that?

Or is there a better way?
  • PaulB
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Sep 2015

Originally posted by garmcqui View Post
    After getting Evohome temperature graphs working, I was wondering if there is any way to monitor/log boiler demand? Is there some sort of datalogger that could monitor the output voltage from the boiler relay or something like that?

Or is there a better way?
    I've asked this before, unfortunately the answer was no. The only way I can determine boiler demand is to modify my script to actively monitor setpoint & current temperatures, then work out what zone wants heat from that. However, this isn't an exact science.

Comment

• garmcqui
      Automated Home Guru
      • Jan 2015

Well I've come up with a way, kindof.

I ordered one of these, which came yesterday:

By fastening the external probe to the outlet pipe from the boiler, it monitors the temperature of the pipe every minute, thus recording when the boiler came on. Tried it last night and it has allowed me to see there were three strange boiler demands between 2am and 3am, each of about 2-3 mins. I say strange as, according to my evohome graphs, all zones were well above target temperature at those times.

Hmmm, will have to investigate further.

Comment

• Bill M
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2015

Originally posted by garmcqui View Post
        Well I've come up with a way, kindof.

I ordered one of these, which came yesterday:

By fastening the external probe to the outlet pipe from the boiler, it monitors the temperature of the pipe every minute, thus recording when the boiler came on. Tried it last night and it has allowed me to see there were three strange boiler demands between 2am and 3am, each of about 2-3 mins. I say strange as, according to my evohome graphs, all zones were well above target temperature at those times.

Hmmm, will have to investigate further.
        I seem to remember that when my boiler engineer fitted my boiler in December (Baxi) that he said it would "cycle" every so often to ensure the system is in good shape. Maybe that could be it?

Comment

Working...
        X