• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
    I don't swipe to change the temperature. There is no need. Just touch the top of the screen to increase and the bottom to decrease. It's simple.
    Sure - if you don't mind tapping 30 times to increase the temperature from 5 degrees to 20 degrees in half degree steps

For large changes pressing and holding next to the temperature then swiping up and down is the only feasible way to get there quickly.

Terrible UI design - both methods of adjustment are completely opaque and non-intuitive to a first time user. At least the old version of the app had the familiar OS standard number scroller element. (whatever they're called)

Personally I'd like to see a completely reworked UI for settings temperatures, the current one is extremely clumsy to the point where I feel like I'm fighting against the app to get the job done, especially when you take into consideration random "zone change failed" email alerts for actions the app claimed had worked...

I'd quite like to see a sidebar of "favourite" temperatures that can be defined in preferences and then used with a single tap, as there are only a few temperatures that I generally use, such as 5,16,18,20,21, which are the only ones I tend to use on a regular basis.

The same could be said for the UI on the controller itself - having to tap the down button 32 times (or hold it for a long, long time) to reduce the living room temperature from 21 degrees to 5 degrees when we go to bed (but without disturbing any other zone schedules) is rather cumbersome when tapping the temperature could easily have brought up an overlay screen with a much larger set of up down arrows (which aren't obscured by your fingers as the current ones are) and a sidebar with a list of single tap "favourite" temperatures.

Because its so cumbersome to turn the temperature of the zone down to 5 via the controller, I typically just reach for the HR92 and turn the dial instead! (Or perhaps use the phone app, where it's non intuitive temperature adjustment interface is at least once learnt, faster)

I can think of so many improvements to the UI for both the controller and the app that I have to wonder if the UI designers actually use an Evohome in their own house. Don't get me wrong - the functionality of the system is fantastic and many aspects of the UI are clean well designed, (more so the controller than the app) but the clumsiness of performing some basic actions does irk me. (I have to "cancel" off mode in the phone app before I can apply day off mode as a second step ? Why ? etc...)
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 17 April 2016, 10:36 PM.

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      Sure - if you don't mind tapping 30 times to increase the temperature from 5 degrees to 20 degrees in half degree steps
      Sorry but I don't see an issue with this. You don't need to tap lots of times if you prefer not to. As pointed out just pause your finger on the current temperature setting and slide it. I find it works fine.

What I agree with though is the poor design of the interface. It is certainly better than the original but the use of colour does not make it user friendly. Then perhaps that might be down to personal preferences, others may love it. Mainly the use of red, its a harsh colour to use particularly the tone used in the app. It does not make a user believe this is a user friendly app to use.

Your comments about the control panel I certainly agree with. It is slow and cumbersome, not really responsive to touch and it takes to long to adjust settings. As said, better to use the IOS app.

Comment

• rotor
        Automated Home Guru
        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
        Sorry but I don't see an issue with this. You don't need to tap lots of times if you prefer not to. As pointed out just pause your finger on the current temperature setting and slide it. I find it works fine.
        I think the multiple tapping refers to the Evohome controller unit itself.

Comment

Working...
        X